Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to find teachers?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Where to find teachers? Reply with quote

Does anyone know of good places to place advertisements for teachers?

Dave's doesn't really fit with the kind of person that we want, and TES is hideously expensive - money that we would rather spend on equipment.
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some experience of looking for self-employed teachers to work for/with me...and gumtree has been the best bet on my budget...which sounds similar to yours.
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can put it on my website www.teachingenglishinpoland.com if you wish, free of charge, it's getting quite a large audience at the moment.
ecocks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon_porter00 wrote:
You can put it on my website www.teachingenglishinpoland.com if you wish, free of charge, it's getting quite a large audience at the moment.

Interesting site, looks like good information.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Infinite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This here is a great site with teacher bios, locations etc etc... definitely worth checking out.

http://www.nativespeaker.com.pl/

Good Luck!
Master Shake

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Where to find teachers? Reply with quote

delphian-domine wrote:
Does anyone know of good places to place advertisements for teachers?

Dave's doesn't really fit with the kind of person that we want, and TES is hideously expensive - money that we would rather spend on equipment.
Just head down to the local watering hole and collar every native speakers you hear.

Make sure you've got plenty of shine on your shoes and fancy-pants business cards with them sticky-up letters on 'em to give out.

Make them an offer they can't refuse. Soon, you'll have yourself a fine specimen of a teacher by the short and curlies.

Oh, and tefl.com isn't bad. It's how I found my first job. Only two Poland jobs on there now so not much competition. Smile
ecocks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been surprised at TEFL.com's consistency of late. They are fast-becoming the leading general place to look due to their organization and ability to set news-feeds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Infinite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the nativespeaker site to be extremely helpful. Helped me with two jobs at respectable schools, a voice-over gig and a small part on TV.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon_porter00 wrote:

That's a wonderful offer, thank you! I'll take you up on it as soon as I've actually written it out properly Smile

[quote=Master Shake]Just head down to the local watering hole and collar every native speakers you hear. [/quote]

Already bothered every single drunk I know here and only managed to find leads for two possible teachers Sad everyone else is pretty much unsuitable for various reasons.

What's interesting with Gumtree - I placed an advert there a few days ago, and so far, some Polish teachers are actually asking for more money than native speakers. It was slightly surreal to open a CV from an English guy asking for 35zl an hour, followed by one by a Polish girl asking for 40zl.

nativespeaker.com.pl was always good to me in the past, too.
Infinite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delphian-domine wrote:

What's interesting with Gumtree - I placed an advert there a few days ago, and so far, some Polish teachers are actually asking for more money than native speakers. It was slightly surreal to open a CV from an English guy asking for 35zl an hour, followed by one by a Polish girl asking for 40zl.

Seems to be the trend lately... I put an advert out there last summer and was also surprised with the low prices quoted by some native speakers. I don't understand why would anyone want to sell themselves short like that. Although while living in the metro area I'd met few students from Canada and the US who didn't really care about how much, as long as they were making some pocket change. They were getting about $2K in from various grants, plus fully covered room and board... this was just a way to earn that extra few bucks.
I also didn't expect the cold shoulder we got once we moved to the country side. Looks like most of the schools had been burnt by a native or two and are very reluctant to hire new ones.

Quote:
nativespeaker.com.pl was always good to me in the past, too.

That's where most of my privates came from.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have no qualifications other than being a native and having 'taught' before, you have to accept much less.

On the flip side, anyone who has at least a CELTA and charges 35zl/hr needs to seriously rethink their game plan.

Poles, by and large, have cottoned on to the fact that you have to pay more for quality lessons. But there will always be a few (mostly student types, I think) who just want to shoot the breeze with some dude all the way from Oklahoma on the cheap.

With teachers, as with lawyers, you usually get what you pay for.
Infinite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:

With teachers, as with lawyers, you usually get what you pay for.

Amen to that...

Unfortunately your Oklahoma comment rings truth even with some real teachers. Had a Polish teacher practically in tears tell me a story where some woman from some middle of nowhere US pretty much went off on her for using the word "since" in cases such as - "Since you're here already...".
telling her that this is absolutely inappropriate and people don't talk like that!
Literally screamed at her in front of the class embarrassing her.
She was lecturing at a Uni. full cred teacher with MAs, BAs, previous actual teaching exp. state side etc etc...
You just never know. Plus the lack of understanding of the differences between AE and BE. During a visitation, I listened to an American teacher tell kids that "to phone" someone is an incorrect and the only accepted form is "to call".
Master Shake

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infinite wrote:
You just never know. Plus the lack of understanding of the differences between AE and BE. During a visitation, I listened to an American teacher tell kids that "to phone" someone is an incorrect and the only accepted form is "to call".

To be fair, I did my fair share of 'correcting' British English the first year I was teaching. For example, I told the students that the pavement was where cars drive, and I flagged up 'programme' as a spelling mistake. It was frustrating because, once the students realized I could be wrong, any correction I did had to include the caveat 'but it could be accepted in British English'.

We Americans aren't taught Br. English in schools and the only place we might encounter it is in literature or a Harry Potter movie. During my entire K - college education I only met a handful of British people. I think Am. / Br. English differences was about 15 minutes of CELTA so no real help there either.

So I think correcting Am. / Br. Eng. is a fairly forgivable mistake. It's bound to happen, and kids aren't likely to correct the teacher.

It's worth pulling out the old Am. / Br. Eng. differences lesson once and a while to clear the air, especially for teachers who aren't familiar with the differences.
ecocks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strictly anecdotal, but I have met more Brits frustrated at correcting American English than the other way around. Much of the time when it starts I view it as a joke or simple moaning, but lately have noticed an edge to it. I don't think I ever met an American who seriously cared whether you wrote colour or color in a sentence or did something at the weekend instead of on it.

I do remember seeing ads over the years which state, "UK applicants only". And NO, these were non-EU positions. These were p[laces like Thailand, Russia, China, etc.

I met one Brit in Kyiv fired in his first week when they discovered that no students could understand him. He told me three times his name was John and he was happy to meet me but I didn't catch a word he said.

Americans get fired too but I honestly cannot recall one fired for their accent or lack of being understood. It was always technique or poor self-management (punctuality, illnesses, drinking, etc.).

Still having trouble finding teachers?

I wanted to say thanks for those websites posted, hopefully they will be useful. If anyone hears of any camps or summer work I am looking not only in the Gdansk area but in Eastern Europe in general.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is quite common to meet teachers from Britain who speak very odd varieties of English. Some are beyond comprehension to me !

I remember at school we were ridiculed by our teachers for using American constructions or forms. No exposure to US Literature o History in school !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: