Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

online teaching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jvintage7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: online teaching Reply with quote

Has anyone worked as an online teacher? I was looking at the company
3ceasy. I am laid up with a broken leg and would be interested in doing it for a bit while I heal up..Any ideas or input about online teaching?
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: online teaching Reply with quote

jvintage7 wrote:

3ceasy. I am laid up with a broken leg and would be interested in doing it for a bit while I heal up..Any ideas or input about online teaching?

If you do a search--or even just scroll down through the thread titles--you will find several threads on this topic. There is one current thread almost immediately below this one (as of this moment, at least.) Take a look!

hollysuel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: online teaching Reply with quote

jvintage7 wrote:

I've been working live online since 2006 and know the industry pretty well. What specific question do you have?

Are you wanting to teaching synchronously OR asynchronously?

Companies to approach? There is a list a mile long. Check the technology section and you'll see another thread with several other companies.

Rate of pay: Quite low. Anywhere between $8 to $20 although the average is about $11 an hour. Most everyone is considered independent contractors.

Hiring seems to be quite competitive right now as many people are wanting to try it. Also, some companies are hiring English teachers who are living in countries where the the standard of living is low so you are competing with people who will teach for pittance.

I can write volumes on this so please give me your specific questions... and do what the previous poster said and do a search as there is already a lot of information on this forum about teaching live online.
teacherman109

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: online teaching Reply with quote

hollysuel wrote:
jvintage7 wrote:

I've been working live online since 2006 and know the industry pretty well. What specific question do you have?

Are you wanting to teaching synchronously OR asynchronously?

Companies to approach? There is a list a mile long. Check the technology section and you'll see another thread with several other companies.

Rate of pay: Quite low. Anywhere between $8 to $20 although the average is about $11 an hour. Most everyone is considered independent contractors.

Hiring seems to be quite competitive right now as many people are wanting to try it. Also, some companies are hiring English teachers who are living in countries where the the standard of living is low so you are competing with people who will teach for pittance.

I can write volumes on this so please give me your specific questions... and do what the previous poster said and do a search as there is already a lot of information on this forum about teaching live online.

Hey Holly,

Have you tried the companies like italki where you just set up a profile and hope that students find you in searches? It seems that you can try and charge whatever price you'd like, but do you actually get people?
hollysuel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Teacherman,

When the freemarket websites were all being set up back in 2008, I joined a few of them and got a couple students. I joined
Culture Link Online (now EnglishBee) in Japan,
Myngle from Amsterdam
Teacher James (out of Taiwan and no longer in business) and
Edufire (out of the USA).

I made the most money from Myngle and gained the most valuable experience at Edufire. The secret to those types of companies are to stick to it. Choose just a few and don't sign up for all of them. Start a blog for your students and tweet, etc. Any place that potential students would see your name and eventually you will gain a following and find paying students. It is not easy and not for short term. It could take years to make a good income at it. On the other hand, if you are a well qualified teacher and gain a good reputation, you could get a lot of students quite fast as word of mouth is the best type of advertisement.

There are several good schools out there that guarantee students and if you are good, they will keep you busy. Some pay well, most don't. Most of these schools provide curriculum that you need to follow. The schools I can think of off the top of my head are:

Myngle (long waiting list and highly competitive)
Talk Bean (out of Korea), and
Tutor ABC (out of Taiwan).

Other companies that I've recently become aware of, but know nothing about except their pay seems to be quite low are:

English_and_Skype
English4Learning
OpenEnglish
HiKnow.com
AloudOnlineSchool
EnglishHunt

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.
flossiebebe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: online teaching Reply with quote

I can add a bit to the list of schools etc. I find that the going rate to aim for is $10-14. Anything less and the school hires anyone and doesn't seem to care about good teaching....or are aiming to hire from a cheaper market such as the Phillipines.

Some schools hire very quickly without much actual testing. Beware of them! I worked for one that was fine, but they never paid on time and would only give out a single contact's name.

Here's a list of those I've worked for, best to worst.
Isus
Oxford Connect
OpenEnglish
JREnglish
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: