Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So what happens now?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wawaguagua

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: So what happens now? Reply with quote

...Another suitcase, another hall. Take your picture off another wall.

I'd convinced myself since college that an ESL career in Asia was the right move for me. Gain international work experience, save money, and explore another culture all at the same time? Where do I sign up? I took a 100-hour TEFL course with 60% of it in class. It wasn't CELTA and it didn't have an actual teaching demo component.

After saving up at a minimum wage retail job for a year after graduation, I got very eager and jumped at the best of five offers in China. I was hesitant about coming over on a tourist visa but I was very tired of waiting around for the next big thing.

My first week was shaky but I felt I was getting the hang of things. At the end of my probation period, I was unceremoniously fired due to complaints that I was boring and inexperienced. I was told that I worked hard and did everything right from a technical standpoint, but I'm not experienced enough and I lack a certain "spark" needed to be a teacher.

I was given advice to find a job that focuses on older students and then go back to kids after I was comfortable there. Unfortunately, my job search isn't turning up much else but private language schools and franchises working with kids.

The whole thing has been very discouraging to me and I'm not sure what to do now. I don't want to give up, as I invested so much time, effort, and money into this, and it's been my dream for several years. I also don't want to relocate all of my stuff to another city just to have history repeat itself. Should I just cut my losses and go home? Alternatively, as I still have money saved up, I've thought about flying to Thailand and taking the all-inclusive CELTA course there... Would that be worth it?
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't despair too much. Your teaching was probably no worse than many others who hold down jobs here, you just ran into some bad luck at that job you were just let go from. You were working legally at this place, right? Z visa, residence permit and all?

You could try the country to the east of China. We can't mention it's name here or discuss it but they have a separate forum if you want to join and inquire there. You could also try university or college jobs in China, those are older students, but right now isn't a very good time to land one of those jobs I'm afraid. All on holiday and openings are scant in mid year.

One piece of advice, try to avoid jobs with a probation period. It just gives the school another reason to dump you if they don't like you.
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where in China are you now ? How old are you ?
Are you still here on only a tourist visa ?

If you can wait a few weeks until the next semester starts then you might be able to get hired at a college or uni. There might be some universities that have found themselves without a foreign teacher for the new semester.

This is one of the few times that a recruiter might be useful since you are already in China and you need a job quickly.
wawaguagua

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in my mid-20's, in a third-tier city on the eastern seaboard. I'm sorry, I want to be more specific than that but I'm a bit shaken at the moment.

Yes, I'm still on a tourist visa. It's a multiple-entry one good for a year and I still have about a month and a half before I'd need to do a Hong Kong reentry.
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wawaguagua wrote:
I'm in my mid-20's, in a third-tier city on the eastern seaboard. I'm sorry, I want to be more specific than that but I'm a bit shaken at the moment.

Yes, I'm still on a tourist visa. It's a multiple-entry one good for a year and I still have about a month and a half before I'd need to do a Hong Kong reentry.

It's important to be working with the proper documents, Z visa and residence permit, because that means the school's already invested some time and effort into employing you, and is thus less likely to fire you for spurious reasons. You've seen what can happen when you come over on a tourist visa. If you search out another job only consider ones that provide the documents that allow you to get a work visa. Universities and colleges are usually good for that. I sent u a message, please check it.
bharrell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I learned about teaching in China was to not take the employers too seriously, They are often not qualified to pass judgement on a teacher. Everybody I know has had at least one problem with a school; one guy leaves every job ranting about what a crappy school XYZ is. And yet he is always finding work.
I'd take that school off my resume and just apply as if you were just now looking for work. What have you been doing? Just sightseeing, relaxing.
There are some of the strangest humans on earth teaching English, and some of the crappiest employers posing as English schools. Screw 'em. You are better than them. Just jump back in. Getting fired and/or having major disputes is just part of the experience for most of us. Persist, and you will be fine. The first year is the toughest. Don't give up.
wawaguagua

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Javelin of Radiance wrote:

It's important to be working with the proper documents, Z visa and residence permit, because that means the school's already invested some time and effort into employing you, and is thus less likely to fire you for spurious reasons. You've seen what can happen when you come over on a tourist visa. If you search out another job only consider ones that provide the documents that allow you to get a work visa. Universities and colleges are usually good for that.

Do you think I'm qualified for a university or a college? I have a degree (with *beep* laude honors and two minors, if that means anything here) and that 100-hour TEFL certificate. I don't have much formal experience. I've held a few university mentoring jobs unrelated to language and I did some English tutoring for a few months during a study abroad program in Central America. I've talked to some recruiters who insist that I'm not experienced enough. Of course, it seems like all they have to offer are the private school and franchise jobs anyway.
wawaguagua

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bharrell wrote:
One thing I learned about teaching in China was to not take the employers too seriously, They are often not qualified to pass judgement on a teacher. Everybody I know has had at least one problem with a school; one guy leaves every job ranting about what a crappy school XYZ is. And yet he is always finding work.
I'd take that school off my resume and just apply as if you were just now looking for work. What have you been doing? Just sightseeing, relaxing.
There are some of the strangest humans on earth teaching English, and some of the crappiest employers posing as English schools. Screw 'em. You are better than them. Just jump back in. Getting fired and/or having major disputes is just part of the experience for most of us. Persist, and you will be fine. The first year is the toughest. Don't give up.

Thanks. I've felt a bit isolated because I find all these stories about people feeling trapped in a lousy contract, or getting fired after several months or years, but very few cases of getting fired from the very first job during the first two months. It's been a very humbling experience because I never thought they'd axe me so quickly after bringing me all the way out here, especially since I was giving it my all.
Big Worm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't take it too hard.

There are many reasons why a person might get laid off like this. Yeah, you might not be a polished teacher, but guessing a random school wouldn't know a "good" teacher if it walked off the plane and fell in their lap.

Just move on, everything will be fine.
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wawaguagua wrote:

Do you think I'm qualified for a university or a college? I have a degree (with *beep* laude honors and two minors, if that means anything here) and that 100-hour TEFL certificate. I don't have much formal experience. I've held a few university mentoring jobs unrelated to language and I did some English tutoring for a few months during a study abroad program in Central America. I've talked to some recruiters who insist that I'm not experienced enough. Of course, it seems like all they have to offer are the private school and franchise jobs anyway.

What many schools are looking for is 2 years experience so you can qualify for an FEC.
My suggestion is that you might need to adjust your resume to reflect your 2 or more years of mentoring and tutoring.
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: So what happens now? Reply with quote

wawaguagua wrote:

Quote:
Gain international work experience, save money, and explore another culture all at the same time? Where do I sign up? I took a 100-hour TEFL course with 60% of it in class. It wasn't CELTA and it didn't have an actual teaching demo component.

A pointer here towards the often useless nature of an online course with no teaching component. It doesnt actually prepare you for too much at all.

Quote:
I was hesitant about coming over on a tourist visa but I was very tired of waiting around for the next big thing.

That tourist visa thing is a big risk right? 95% of people posting here suggest this is the one thing you should never do, and avoid employers who ask you to!

Quote:
My first week was shaky but I felt I was getting the hang of things. At the end of my probation period, I was unceremoniously fired due to complaints that I was boring and inexperienced. I was told that I worked hard and did everything right from a technical standpoint, but I'm not experienced enough and I lack a certain "spark" needed to be a teacher.

It takes a long time to learn how to be a teacher. Sometimes the learning curve can be hard and most / many Chinese employers arent going to train you.

Unfortunately, my job search isn't turning up much else but private language schools and franchises working with kids.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHO YOU NEED TO BE WORKING WITH! Training centre jobs are what you need. The chance of being trained, observing other teachers, having a syllabus to follow and being mentored is what you need. Chase these training centre jobs!!!!!! Avoid university, middle school, public school.

Alternatively, as I still have money saved up, I've thought about flying to Thailand and taking the all-inclusive CELTA course there... Would that be worth it?

YES. This is also a very very good idea. Maybe you arent cut out to be a language teacher ... but if you are, and do have potential / talent / ability, the course will unlock it and give you more confidence and knowledge for your next job. Its also a recognised qualification that you can take forward as you continue in EFL.

And a CELTA break might be a good idea to get away from the situation you are now in, evaluate, re-group and start again. The CELTA option is the best one open to you IMHO ... Id look long and hard at that, and then the experience you have just endured is far less likely to occur again.

Good luck
it'snotmyfault

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good advice here, but also some conflicting advice regarding what you should do next.
That's up to you to decide.

If you've just had your confidence knocked in a training school, going into a public school job with big classes and a remit of "just talk to them"
Well, that's pretty daunting for most people.
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it'snotmyfault wrote:
Lots of good advice here, but also some conflicting advice regarding what you should do next.
That's up to you to decide.

If you've just had your confidence knocked in a training school, going into a public school job with big classes and a remit of "just talk to them"
Well, that's pretty daunting for most people.

and I think thats quite a common remit. I was lucky in that I had volunteer experience in Kenya, China, and also with Polish immigrants to the UK, but it was still difficult. I was very lucky in that I had a fantastic housemate and we worked together to swap ideas and find our feet but it was very difficult. Not every job in China can promise that of course (some may not need to)

It probably took me all of that 18 month contract, a Trinity Cert TESOL, and a summer school job to find my teaching feet. Banging on about 'do the CELTA - do the CELTA' isnt popular with some people ... but it really elminates some of the risk attached to stories like this one, and increases the odds on a good China experience (for both teacher and his students)
wawaguagua

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: So what happens now? Reply with quote

Denim-Maniac wrote:
most / many Chinese employers arent going to train you.

Unfortunately, these were Westerners.

Quote:
THIS IS EXACTLY WHO YOU NEED TO BE WORKING WITH! Training centre jobs are what you need. The chance of being trained, observing other teachers, having a syllabus to follow and being mentored is what you need. Chase these training centre jobs!!!!!! Avoid university, middle school, public school.

I'm definitely not opposed to taking another private franchise job, I'm just a bit hesitant because that's who just fired me. They charge the parents a lot of money for their kids' English lessons, and ultimately the customers weren't happy with the product and I had to go. It doesn't help that the parents weren't thrilled about a new, fresh-off-the-plane teacher taking over from a very experienced one from the very start.

I'd like to think that in a public school setting, I'd have more room to grow and learn, even if it's on my own, without the pressure of the almighty yuan. When I think about how the kids percieved me as boring, I wonder if that's as much an issue in public schools. Is it? I found my own public school English classes boring but that never resulted in my teachers being fired.

I'd like to think I'd do it all differently if I could just start over, knowing what I know now. The problem is I'm stuck with my boss' voice in my head telling me there's something inherently wrong with me and that's what gets me down.

Quote:
YES. This is also a very very good idea. Maybe you arent cut out to be a language teacher ... but if you are, and do have potential / talent / ability, the course will unlock it and give you more confidence and knowledge for your next job. Its also a recognised qualification that you can take forward as you continue in EFL.

And a CELTA break might be a good idea to get away from the situation you are now in, evaluate, re-group and start again. The CELTA option is the best one open to you IMHO ... Id look long and hard at that, and then the experience you have just endured is far less likely to occur again.

Right now it definitely feels like the right answer. A change of scenery, better training, probably a huge confidence boost. I'm just slightly afraid to find out that maybe I'm really not cut out to be a teacher, and if so I've just wasted a lot of money.
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been thinking more since posting earlier. Definitely try and find another job where you are. And my personal preference would be for the private sector / training centre type place. I cant comment on your last employers approach as I dont know them ... but my training centres approach is normally for you to watch several lessons and chat with several teachers. Teach two or more one-off elective classes and get some constructive feedback, and then start on your own with a reduced workload and some help with materials for the first few weeks. (we rarely take inexperienced teachers .. the routine I desrcribe is the process for experienced teachers) I would imagine the training programs at places like EF, Disney, Wall Street, and possibly Aston and Shane are better again.

If you find a training centre that is prepared to give you a fair crack of the whip and some support ... that would be a wise option I think.

Im really unsure about the public school option, partly based on my experience of it, partly based on forum chatter and the impression I have been given from people who Ive worked with who've gone that route. I volunteered in a middle school teaching Senior 2 (students about 16 years old) for 12 lessons a week. It was easier in that I was never going to get fired as long as I turned up and wasnt drunk, but 40-50 students each class, some who wouldnt / couldnt speak a word of English, some who would sleep, and a handful that had interest is possibly not what the Doctor would order! I also think what you learn in that environment is often just how to get through, make do, survive. Its not realistic to expect that someone who has no recognised EFL qualifications is likely to accrue much knowledge on second language acquisition or teaching methodologies from that sector. What you learn isnt really always that useful.

But on the same hand ... the CELTA is quite difficult for many people. Yes, its a fantastic course for you to take, its going to teach you some real fundamentals about language teaching and let you practise language teaching in a safe and supportive environment, with feedback to help you. BUT, its hard and stressful for many people who take ... some of whom go on and fail to pass the course. Going to do the CELTA would be a break and a chance to start again ... but you would be entering into a 4 weeks course thats going to add different pressures. If your confidence is shot now ... you are going to have to be very thick skinned and have big balls to enter a CELTA classroom and teach with 8 people observing you and writing down your mistakes.

Its a difficult situation for sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: