Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So what happens now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lancy Bloom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your own country you have colective agreements. In China or other Asian countries you have no recourse when you have a payment problem. So you work on a pay per class basis. Private teaching in other words. You ask to be paid a week in advance or a month in advance for home teaching. It is a normal practice in Japan, Taiwan , Korea and Thailand. When working for a mill you tell them you have too much to lose by being paid at the end of a month. You get paid on a daily basis. You keep the possible burn to a minimum.
Forget contracts they are meaningless. Ask any business person. All successful business people state firmly" I don't do anything until I recieve money or a retainer."
In other countries when you break down payments made by students and employers it is 50 50. You are the show so you should get 50%. It is how the NBA works. In China they do not give this.
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best response for the above is

Laughing Laughing or

Rolling Eyes
hilena_westb

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ONLY accept payment in advance. For part-time jobs, I demand payment before walking into the classroom - while I am onsite to perform my duties. As for full time work, I expect to be paid in the middle of the month for the current month. That way, both me and my employer take 50% of the so-called risk. Anyone who waits a month post-teaching, etc. is a moron. I don't care how good or bad your employer is. Everyone should take an equal risk of the payment.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone who waits a month post-teaching, etc. is a moron

Lotsa morons all over the world, then. My current position pays bi-weekly, but this is the ONLY place that's ever done that in China. A private language school in Mexico City paid every other week as well, but most places in most countries don't.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hilena_westb wrote:
I ONLY accept payment in advance. For part-time jobs, I demand payment before walking into the classroom - while I am onsite to perform my duties. As for full time work, I expect to be paid in the middle of the month for the current month. That way, both me and my employer take 50% of the so-called risk. Anyone who waits a month post-teaching, etc. is a moron. I don't care how good or bad your employer is. Everyone should take an equal risk of the payment.

Is this just China or do you make that demand at home too?
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolute and total nonsense. Ive read lots of silly things on forums over the years ... but the idea that your boss should pay you before you work, or at the end of each class / job / day is just nuts. Good luck trying to negotiate that when applying for a job. ANY job, any country.
Lancy Bloom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have and the boss was happy. They made money and I got paid. I wear a tie and suit and no jeans. I am a teacher in my home country. If I was there I would get a pension and two months of vacation a year.
School owners get their money from the students before we teach. Why shouldn't we be paid also?
Some people come here with four books and others come with hundreds. So Mr Magic Jeans you will be here for a few more months and moving on. This attitude of servitude is demeaning to the teaching professiion
johntpartee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This attitude of servitude is demeaning to the teaching professiion

Has anybody else on here ever really felt strongly about something but really didn't know how to put it into words? I can't even say that the way I want it to sound..........
wawaguagua

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been getting some offers for public high schools that are located within my current province, not too far from the city where I'm presently located. It would be nice to maintain the few connections I've made here, and I wouldn't have to lug all of the kitchenware I've purchased too far away.

It's hard to say whether I'd have a better time there or not. I taught a small class of preteens at the franchise school I was let go from with mixed results - The frustrating part was the very obvious gap in ability and motivation between the strongest and the weakest students. I also found the book to be too fast-paced, but I have to keep in mind that franchise schools are "supplements" to whatever the kids are supposed to be learning in their real schools.

The factors are too different. It's a real school compared to a mill, large classes instead of small ones, oral English instead of comprehensive, a local teaching assistant who actually sits in the class instead of taking roll and leaving, the students will be a few years older, etc. Supposedly there's a full week of training, whereas I had none going into this previous class. I might also do better focusing on a single level than multiple ages at the same time. What do you think? I don't want to set myself up for more frustration. Is it true that teenagers are the most difficult?
muffintop

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wawaguagua wrote:
Is it true that teenagers are the most difficult?

For me teenagers are the worst. They are old enough to know that the oral English we teach won't help them on their Gaokao and the only thing that matters is the Gaokao. Sure, you'll have a few here and there who truly want to learn but likely very few. They usually do not want to do the books since they lean towards grammar that they THINK they understand and boring dialogues but they have not a single damn thing to talk about beyond "I like play computer" and "Teacher give too many homeworks". 90% of the time you'll get a yes or no answer to a question where yes or no wasn't even a valid reply.

Some may have vastly different experiences so take this with a grain of salt.

It also depends on where you teach. If you can get with a school that's prepping kids to go abroad in a legit way without doctoring grades and/or applications or just finding a school abroad that will hold their hands in special classes for as long as they pay full pop tuition....it may be OK. Otherwise you just get a bunch of spoiled rich kids (at a private school) who don't care and are likely only planning to go abroad because they tanked the Gaokao and their IQ is on par with grape jelly. Sure there are exceptions but.....they are exceptions. Then there is public school. The thought of teaching at a public school just sent a shiver up my spine. I'll stick to teaching jelly if I have to.
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lancy Bloom wrote:
I have and the boss was happy. They made money and I got paid. I wear a tie and suit and no jeans. I am a teacher in my home country. If I was there I would get a pension and two months of vacation a year.
School owners get their money from the students before we teach. Why shouldn't we be paid also?
Some people come here with four books and others come with hundreds. So Mr Magic Jeans you will be here for a few more months and moving on. This attitude of servitude is demeaning to the teaching professiion

Lancy - we finally agree on something. I am Mr Magic Jeans.
doogsville

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught a lot of teenagers in my previous job. You might as well just take photos of them and pin them to the seats, you'd probably get a better response! Of course, they're not all that bad, but man, they are hard, hard work. I don't know if it's the Gaokao thing, or hormones, or teenage angst, but they are the least responsive students by a wide margin. They will complain they are bored and want to play games, then they won't take part in the games. They won't speak unless you give them no choice, then they will mumble so quietly you can't hear the answer, all while they're staring at their shoes.

You have to have a ton of patience. I focused on the two or three in every class who were functional to keep me sane. Not all the time, you have to keep making the effort for the others. I kept reminding myself they have reasons for their behaviour, as does everyone, and while I have no idea what their reasons are I can respect them. My own teenage years were not a barrel of laughs, and if I'd had to attend a private language lesson with a bunch of other teenagers I didn't know I don't know if I would have survived it.

I taught teenagers in middle school as well, and that was worse. Fifty to sixty five students per class, jammed in like sardines. I still twitch occasionally when I think back to that. The upside was that the classes were mercifully short at just forty five minutes, so by the time you get them to settle down you only have forty minutes left. they have a class monitor too, so use them to help you keep discipline if you can. Here's what I did.

Their regular Chinese teachers will do all the grammar work and set the homework etc. as well as preparing them for the endless exams they have to take.You'll likely be given the book they're using that semester, but really they just want you to speak, so they can hear how to pronounce the words, and have the students speak too. I did lots of drilling, whole class, half class, boys then girls, each row, and ham it up with lots of competition and comparison. 'The boys were good but the girls were better! The winners are the third row!' that kind of thing. Then I would take a ball, a bit bigger than a tennis ball, and throw it. Whoever caught it, or whoever it touched, would have to speak. Lots of screaming and trying to get out of the way of the ball. Then after a while you let whoever spoke throw the ball if they're speaking was up to par. They love that, trying to hit their friends to make them speak English. Then the forty five minutes is up and you can go back to the teachers office to be ignored by the rest of the teachers until it's time for your next class.

Good luck.
wawaguagua

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had quite a few interviews in the past two days and I'm starting to become disheartened. At my last (first) job, I was told I'd be a better fit for universities and public middle schools, but most of the ones I've had interviews with are very hesitant about my visa status. Either I don't have enough experience for them to sponsor a Z visa, or I'd have to fly back home (on my own dime, of course).

My contacts kept telling me that it's possible for schools to overlook the two-year experience thing and that I can get a visa from Hong Kong. I'm not sure what to think. Are my only options to take another chance at a franchise school or go home?
kungfuman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wawaguagua wrote:
but most of the ones I've had interviews with are very hesitant about my visa status.

This could be your biggest issue at hand. The visa. You worked on a tourist visa and now you really have no verifiable experience.
wawaguagua

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kungfuman wrote:
This could be your biggest issue at hand. The visa. You worked on a tourist visa and now you really have no verifiable experience.

Even if I could put the past two months on my resume, I wouldn't want to. I'm not against starting over again - Everyone started out somewhere. My dilemma now is figuring out if I have options here, or if I'm better off going back home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: