Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

l
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: l Reply with quote

test

Last edited by Hunz on Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total
tttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me for laughing... high school and a generic TEFL and she hopes to land a job as a teacher in the UAE?

A simple google would have answered that question.

job ad wrote:
Required Qualifications

Native speaker of English from the UK, Ireland, USA, Canada, South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand

Bachelors degree in relevant field (English Language Teaching, ESL education, linguistics, TESOL, etc.); degrees in other areas considered with appropriate ESL certification and experience (no online certifications)

MA/PhD (and other advanced graduate degrees) highly desirable and given priority (no online certifications)

120 hour in-class ESL certification (or relevant degree)

2 years ESL teaching experience (private tuition, voluntary and teacher assistant positions will not be considered)

Middle East/Gulf experience a plus

In all seriousness, she can't even get a proper visa to work in Asia never mind the best paying market on the planet for EFL.

She'd have a better chance working in the oil fields as a roughneck.

Go to Alberta.

Hunz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry that made you laugh. It was not my intention. My friend has had a very difficult life and did not have the privilege of gaining higher education. She is however, extremely intelligent, hard working and can probably be a better teacher than people with many credentials.
I have had professors who were known internationally for their expertise, but were HORRIBLE teachers.
Moving on, any one have some USEFUL advice for her, maybe what she could do before moving here (besides getting a BA, which she obviously will not be able to).
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunz wrote:
I am making this post on behalf of a friend. She is considering moving to the UAE (from Canada) with her child, and would like to work and live here. However she does not have university education but has a TEFL certification. What are her chances, and what areas or places could she be qualified to teach at? (High school?).

The typical job qualifications for teaching jobs in Dubai international schools include having at least a bachelor's degree, a valid teaching teaching license or certificate, being certified or registered to teach in one's home state, province, or region, and possessing at least 2 years of experience teaching at the appropriate grade level, in the relevant subject area (source: teachaway.com). Language schools exist but tend to be staffed by qualified local expats, which usually means an average wage and zero benefits.

and wrote:
My friend has had a very difficult life and did not have the privilege of gaining higher education. She is however, extremely intelligent, hard working and can probably be a better teacher than people with many credentials.

Unfortunately, her chances are nil. Having a TEFL cert and being intelligent and hard-working aren't enough to land a teaching job in the Gulf; employers (as well as students and parents) expect teaching professionals to possess a certain level of experience and education.

If getting a BA isn't in her immediate plans, one option would be to head to the remaining countries where a degree isn't required for teaching. But that's not advisable for someone with a child in tow because the pay would be mediocre and the benefits, if any, piddly.
santi84

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunz wrote:
Sorry that made you laugh. It was not my intention. My friend has had a very difficult life and did not have the privilege of gaining higher education. She is however, extremely intelligent, hard working and can probably be a better teacher than people with many credentials.
I have had professors who were known internationally for their expertise, but were HORRIBLE teachers.
Moving on, any one have some USEFUL advice for her, maybe what she could do before moving here (besides getting a BA, which she obviously will not be able to).

A difficult life does not entitle a person to any/all career opportunities without any basic training, and I would question what kind of TEFL certificate she has, because legitimate TESL certificates in Canada require a degree as well. I'm guessing this is an online TEFL certification, which is not accepted in the UAE anyways.

Genuine USEFUL advice is to forget the whole teaching abroad thing, especially if she has a child to bring, unless she is willing to work for basic qualifications like the rest of us. Not everyone with a degree comes from some sort of privileged background. Perhaps she can inquire into bursary programs (lots available for single mothers) and other financial aid.

The whole "I had a hard life" doesn't cut it... sorry, billions of people on this planet have had difficult lives. That doesn't mean they can just walk into any career they choose and be entitled to a job over qualified candidates. Business is business.
santi84

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunz wrote:

... and can probably be a better teacher than people with many credentials.

I can't help but think that you probably aren't a teacher yourself (since you are referencing your own professors rather than professional experience) and that you've probably never been in a classroom taught by this friend. I get it, she's your friend, and you think she would do great - but that is a somewhat bias opinion, is it not?
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, were you looking for useful advice as previously said, or just what you wanted to hear?
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunz wrote:
Impossible to give any advice at all, since you have completely deleted your OP.

Do you want help/advice or not?
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Impossible to give any advice at all, since you have completely deleted your OP.

Do you want help/advice or not

I think the answer to this is blindingly obvious. What useful could have been added to what's already been offered?
denise

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

santi84 wrote:
So, were you looking for useful advice as previously said, or just what you wanted to hear?

Sad that it's so hard, apparently, for people to distinguish the two.

Useful advice: either give up on this plan (I remember it, even though it got deleted) or work to get the qualifications to make it happen.

Desired response: Job/visa requirements don't apply in your specific case. Go for it, and everything will sort itself out.

d
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Quote:

Do you want help/advice or not

I think the answer to this is blindingly obvious. What useful could have been added to what's already been offered?

Something a little more useful? Perhaps a little more courtesy, rather than laughter? Has another new poster been scared off for good?
demitrescou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, you guys actually drove her to delete the post! That's some cold shizzle!
SledgeCleaver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's cold in its way. But I think people don't particularly like answering questions when the information is so freely available. Regardless, somebody DID answer the question, accurately, if with a slight bit of snark. A google of "requirements to teach English in the gulf region/uae/whatever" would have given about 100 web pages that would have answered this question definitively. A simple knowledge of world economic reality, that high salaries require good connections or good credentials, probably would have sufficed. In this case, it was practically saying, "I did really well in BIO 101 at university, got an A+ and my professor can write me a recommendation, can I get licensed as a doctor in Australia?" Sorry, Dorothy. And even then, somebody gave the good advice of either choosing a country where such credentials could possibly land a job, or getting better qualifications, yet said "going to such countries with a kid is probably a bad idea," which again is sound advice and thus not exactly ice-cold.
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

demitrescou wrote:

Well, if the OP had just stuck with "high school diploma, want job in the UAE", he/she would have received a sufficient answer. When he/she then goes on about how their friend has had a crappy life and didn't have the privilege of getting a degree (how about saving by scrubbing dishes at 17 while living out of a Nissan Sentra like I did), I lose the nice guy routine pretty quick. Add to that, bad teachers (from OP's POV) apparently justify teaching without even bare minimum qualifications, and there is little patience from anyone.

I am personally a bit tired of the assumptions that anyone and their dog should be allowed to teach English because they speak it. I expect my French teachers to have qualifications and experience too. I was recently taught by an unqualified French teacher and I wasted a LOT of money for my child's daycare, and then paid an exit fee to drop out.

That's what some people just don't get or care to get - students spend money to take classes, they spend time away from their classes, and they need X subject to advance in their career or basic life. But some people just don't seem to get that. As a student who has suffered it myself, it bothers me!
denise

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

demitrescou wrote:

I've been a Dave's member for a while. I do occasionally take breaks when the negativity gets to be too much. Quite often, the negativity comes NOT from the responses, but from the attitude of the original poster--something along the lines of,

"You guys aren't telling me what I want to hear. Maybe if I rephrase it I'll get the rosy answer that I want."

"I'm still not getting what I want to hear. You obviously don't understand me."

"I'm still not getting what I want to hear." (followed by anger, sulking, or deleting the post)

It gets old.

d
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: