Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to get a driver's license in Oman
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stanggg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: How to get a driver's license in Oman Reply with quote

I spent many hours at the police department only to fail because of one little hang up. I wanted to catalog this experience for anyone else who does the same in the future.

What do you need to change your license over?
1. License from USA/European Union/Australia should transfer over. One of the teachers that joined the same time I did is from Ukraine and they will not switch it over. I believe he has to take some tests.

2. Copies of Passport page along with visa stamped page. Copy of resident card, copy of license*

3. Two passport photos with a blue background.

4. Paper from your university saying that you can have a license. They asked for this but only glanced at it. So you may get away with something in Arabic with your school letterhead.

5. 300 bz

6. It is very helpful to have someone bring you that speaks Arabic. I am in Buraimi and very few people seem to know English.

So with these items you go in the police station and fill out some forms that are in Arabic. That is why you should bring someone who knows Arabic. Then they will issue your driver's license
* They were about to print out my new license when they noticed something on my USA license, it was issued 6 months ago. I have been driving since I was 14 but they assume I have only been driving for 6 months. Omani police require one year. So if you are about to come to Oman please bring a copy of your old license if you need to renew before you leave.
truthbebold

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....and why bother?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...um... so you can drive?

IMHO, just as in the US, a car is a necessity to easily get to and from work, shopping, and taking advantage of everything Oman has to offer that you can't get to without a car. Yes, the roads can be dangerous, but it is also dangerous if you are in a taxi... probably more dangerous.

VS
truthbebold

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummm ... so you are saying you can't just drive on your home country license? ya right
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No... not legally. Once you have a residence visa and labor card, you need to have an Omani license.

This is true in all the Gulf countries.

VS
truthbebold

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And has any whitey ever gotten in trouble for not having one?
stanggg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you need a license to buy a car?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my car before I had the license or even a labor card, but rules may have changed now.

And yes you may have problems... 'whiteys" are not at the top of the food chain in Oman, the locals are. Besides, why put yourself into possible legal issues in a country where you don't speak the language or understand the laws... and accidents are VERY common.

Getting a license is easy for "whiteys" - just take your Western license, the proper paperwork, and they give you one.

VS
lizziebennet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you buy a car you get its license renewed every year. In order to do that you need to have an Omani license. The process is really easy so I am not sure why people wouldn't just convert their licenses.

Last edited by lizziebennet on Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
madrileno

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stanggg wrote:
Do you need a license to buy a car?

Whiteys don't need an Omani license to buy a car, but one should eventually want to switch over to an Omani license as insurance costs more for whiteys without an Omani license.
TimJon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
'whiteys" are not at the top of the food chain in Oman

We certainly are not the bottom feeders! just look, (ah I am forgetting that this source of all thing Omani AKA "Veiled Sentiments"-is well - not living in Oman! neither has she done so for at least twenty years - by her own admission!!!)

just look at the poor Indians and Pakistanis, but of cours Veiled Senitiments you cannot can you?? ensconced as you are in your Petro-dollar pension funded pad in the US. Of course, you have the benefit of living in a vicarious way because sycophantic ESLer's tell you what you want to know, but, never trust them dear, they are just waiting for the time to bring you down.

Be off!! leave the Oman forum space for those who care about Oman, do not be a limpet. Or are you so sad you justy cannot let go.
newbienicki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to get so nasty and personal Timjon. V.S. IS right. "Whiteys" are not at the top of the food chain here. She didn't say bottom feeders either, but where does this talk about "whiteys" having any special rights come from? It seems an outdated way of thinking to say the least. The days of thinking that white skin opens doors or allows some sort of special concession, especially in this part of the world, are long gone, or they should be. V.S. may not be on spot. She may not always be right. I may not always agree with her, but I think she has as much right as anyone else to her opinions. I find her to be helpful and many of her posts quite useful. Please don't use this forum for ugliness. That is NOT helpful, useful or cool. Rolling Eyes
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you newbienicki...

I suspect that Mr TimJon isn't a native speaker of English and either doesn't read well or doesn't understand English very well. Of course, it could be one of those late night posts written under the influence of... you know. He certainly has a disconnect with reality. I have never hidden the fact that I am no longer in Oman, but it hasn't been "20 years." Laughing

VS
TimJon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOD edit
�zcan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just signed up here because I had the impression that people here were very mature, nice and helpful Shocked

If you guys are teachers, I don't want to know how your students are Laughing (just kidding)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: