Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HK visa agency for China - US citizen denials?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tideout

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: HK visa agency for China - US citizen denials? Reply with quote

I recently went to a HK based visa agency to check on a rumor that US citizens were getting denied visas due to recent US/China tensions. A person behind the counter said that it was true that there were a number of denials but they didn't or couldn't elaborate.

Can anyone confirm this or have any US citizens had a hard time with z, f or tourist visas from either specific embassies or from HK visa agencies?

Thanks.
creeper1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: not sure Reply with quote

I'm not sure they specifically exclude US citizens after all there is a clear rule on the commissioner website -

"If you don't reside or work in Hong Kong permanently, you are required to apply Chinese visa from the Embassy or Consulate-General of Peoples' Republic of China in your resident country"

It could be at certain times they strictly enforce the rule and at others not so much.
Lancy Bloom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These rules change on a daily if not hourly basis. Countries come and go out of favor often. Americans pay the most for their visas. I could elaborate more but I prefer not to on any internet forum. Try again from another place. Shenzhen sometimes is easier and cheaper. Travel agents are better and more efficient sometimes
it'snotmyfault

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lancy Bloom wrote:
I could elaborate more but I prefer not to on any internet forum

Very wise. I hear the CIA/PLA/MI6 all regularly monitor Dave's.
tideout

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it'snotmyfault wrote:
Lancy Bloom wrote:
I could elaborate more but I prefer not to on any internet forum

Very wise. I hear the CIA/PLA/MI6 all regularly monitor Dave's.

Can't account for the CIA etc. but I couldn't get onto Dave's from within China w/o a VPN service in place.

I appreciate the responses and it's good to know in one sense that if rejected on a Monday then try again on Tuesday.

I'm assuming you don't pay for rejections....

Again, thanks to everyone.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I couldn't get onto Dave's from within China w/o a VPN service in place

Odd. I've never had a problem (three years in China, several different service providers) and have never used a VPN.
tideout

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johntpartee wrote:
Quote:
I couldn't get onto Dave's from within China w/o a VPN service in place

Odd. I've never had a problem (three years in China, several different service providers) and have never used a VPN.

Maybe different locales? I'm not sure but I wasn't the only one in that area with the same issue.

The whole government censorship thing was/is odd given that I couldn't pull up the NYTimes with a positive article about something in China but recently pulled up a fairly negative article about HK Chinese protesting the mainland's way of governing.

Go figure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: