Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JOB OFFER GOOD OR BAD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
calsimsek

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: JOB OFFER GOOD OR BAD Reply with quote

Hi all I'm new to this chatroom, so sorry if my questions have been covered, I recently posted my C.V on line and I got a reply with the offer below, is this any good.

To set the stage let me tell you, that I have a masters in Education and one in Business, been teaching for 6 years in Australian Secondary schools and also worked in Istanbul for 6 years. Have a strong ESL and EFL background along with core subject areas of English, Commerce, Legal Studies and others.

So do you think the offer is fair or could I get a better deal...Smile

The position is Primary School Teacher / Middle School Teacher / Highschool Teacher with an international school in Oman. Available salary OMR 1260 basic (per month, tax free) + fully furnished accommodation, transport to and from school, utilities allowance OMR 40, gratuity, paid leave, family medical insurance, family tickets and visas, subsidized education for dependence children + mobilization allowance OMR 250.
stanggg

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry no one has replied yet. I don't have that much info to give you, but I will do my best. I have not seen primary schools talked about on this board. I tried searching and the search is not working for me.

What city are you going to work? If you are in Muscat I hear it is expensive, but if you are in a smaller city that should be enough for a salary. I think you should consider it. It will get you into Oman, and once you get some experience here you can probably find a better job, or you may find that this job is the one you would like to keep. Otherwise use your best judgment on the quality of the school, and talk with some of the other faculty if you can.

Hope that is a little helpful and good luck!
balqis

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money-wise it sounds very good. Hardly anyone is willing to pay this money in Oman and provide free accomodation and all the perks you are listing.
My insight is based on tertiary education contracts, though.
Besides, you are not mentioning the number of hours you are supoosed to teach for the money offered. It would be very good money for a regular tertiary teaching load, i.e. round 20 hours a week. Hope your salary is not for more than 20 hours or thereabout.

As to Muscat, the point mentioned be the previous post, Oman is somehow notorious for offering the Muscat teachers less, sometimes substantially less, than in the remote provinces. Reasons are many why, but it is immaterial for your question.

Besides, with your qualification you might consider applying for tertairy positions in Oman, were you interested. But then again it wouldn't be easy to find such a good salary as yours with colleges or unis in Oman.

good luck!
balqis
madrileno

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only international primary school I know of in Oman is the Sultan School in Muscat.

If that's the school you've received the offer from, then it's normal for that institution. It's actually a fairly good package, considering the free furnished accommodation, which for Muscat is quite a luxury.
JustinC

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen (not worked in Oman but have seen a few ads) that offer looks in line with you having a master's degree.
calsimsek

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks one and all, have not yet decided where to set up, just know that I want to give the gulf a go. Had a great time in Istanbul and hope the gulf will be the same. I have been to UAE for a hoilday so I have some idea of what to expect.

So how would you compare life in the gulf to Istanbul (if you have been there) Question

Thanks again for all of your posative feed back.

Smile Smile
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've visited both Turkey and Oman; they're quite different in terms of lifestyle and demographics. Also, Oman is nothing like the touristy UAE. For info on life in Oman, do an Internet search on oman expat forum.
gator07

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calsimsek- I've taught in both Turkey and Oman. So if you have specific questions about life, teaching, etc feel free to PM me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: