Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Top Ten Things to Know about J Learners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pitarou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerkyBoy wrote:
Glenski wrote:
By the way, a simple thank you would be nice once in a while, especially for the effort some people put into providing you with answers.
Thank you to everyone except Glenski.
That kind of snide remark was what got one of your previous threads closed. I suggest you apologise to Glenski before the moderators drop by.
stumptowny

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitarou wrote:
JerkyBoy wrote:
Glenski wrote:
By the way, a simple thank you would be nice once in a while, especially for the effort some people put into providing you with answers.
Thank you to everyone except Glenski.
That kind of snide remark was what got one of your previous threads closed. I suggest you apologise to Glenski before the moderators drop by.

no, jerkyboy is fine... I thought it was very funny... we are all equals here anyway and if you don't have thicker skin than this, take a hike. everyone takes their lumps sooner or later..
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I rather like Glenski.

He gives me lots of information.
steki47

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
Their knowledge of current events, history, and popular figures in music, theater, sports, etc. is often/usually severely limited.

On that note, I would add that many students' knowledge of the world outside of Japan is limited. As is their concern with such things. In many cases, they are, frankly, ignorant and indifferent to the outside world. Many view the rest of the world as weird and dangerous. Think of Amish bowing.

In addition, they are often ignorant about their own country/prefecture/hometown. Ask them the population of their hometown and you may get a lot of dead silence.

And everything different is "strange". If you do something differently than "the Japanese Way", students may think it is strange. Also, if you do things the Japanese way, they will often think it strange. Your existence is strange to them.

(Long day at my junior high. Third glass of wine. Apologies for any negativity.)
steki47

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stumptowny wrote:
I have seen allergic reactions to smiling in some adult students

On the other hand, you will be expected to smile constantly. If you don't, many Japanese will think you are scary. Foreigners are scary. Unless they are smiling. Then they are strange. Got that? Laughing
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stumptowny wrote:
we are all equals here anyway and if you don't have thicker skin than this, take a hike. everyone takes their lumps sooner or later..
Having been on here about 15 years, I've taken lumps probably far more than most. And, yes, my hide is thick.

That's still no excuse for lack of courtesy, wouldn't you say?
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steki47 wrote:
On that note, I would add that many students' knowledge of the world outside of Japan is limited. As is their concern with such things. In many cases, they are, frankly, ignorant and indifferent to the outside world. Many view the rest of the world as weird and dangerous.

Sounds reminiscent of Thailand.

steki47 wrote:
And everything different is "strange". If you do something differently than "the Japanese Way", students may think it is strange. Also, if you do things the Japanese way, they will often think it strange. Your existence is strange to them.

This is intriguing.

So it's like an alien world more or less? Do you ever feel a part of things or do you feel apart from them?
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steki47 wrote:
foreigners are scary

In Thailand it's "farang goa". I heard a few sheltered middle class Thai students mutter this on occasion.
steki47

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerkyBoy wrote:
steki47 wrote:
On that note, I would add that many students' knowledge of the world outside of Japan is limited. As is their concern with such things. In many cases, they are, frankly, ignorant and indifferent to the outside world. Many view the rest of the world as weird and dangerous.

Maybe similar attitudes, but Japan has been a major economic power for 40 years or so. On the other hand, Americans are...uh...never mind. Laughing

JerkyBoy wrote:
steki47 wrote:

This is intriguing.

So it's like an alien world more or less? Do you ever feel a part of things or do you feel apart from them?

Others may chime in with something different, but I generally do not feel like I fit in. Probably closer to a mercenary or a rent-a-clown. I am paid to do a job, the Japanese expect something from me, but I am not part of the group.

This can be good and bad. The benefit is that the Japanese generally don't expect us to follow all the rules of their society. They work until 8-9pm every evening (still not sure what they're doing), while I follow the contract and leave at 4:30.
steki47

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerkyBoy wrote:

By coincidence, I have been dreaming over the past 2 years or so of working/living in Thailand recently. Generally in the winter...
steki47

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another pattern of J-learners:
Almost no inferential skills or analysis. Rote memorization of facts (rather disconnected, in fact) does not generate an ability to paraphrase, summarize, prioritize or engage in critical thinking. Things are usually taken at face value with no examination of the motivation behind it. Instructions should be given in minute, explicit detail. Almost like programming a computer.
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steki47 wrote:
Others may chime in with something different, but I generally do not feel like I fit in. Probably closer to a mercenary or a rent-a-clown. I am paid to do a job, the Japanese expect something from me, but I am not part of the group.
I think many/most foreigners will feel like that. To what degree depends on many factors, including how well they actually try to fit in and adapt to the different culture where they live.
stumptowny

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
stumptowny wrote:
we are all equals here anyway and if you don't have thicker skin than this, take a hike. everyone takes their lumps sooner or later..
Having been on here about 15 years, I've taken lumps probably far more than most. And, yes, my hide is thick.

That's still no excuse for lack of courtesy, wouldn't you say?

unfortunately, you can't expect courtesy from everyone. especially strangers or people with a sense of humor. your contributions on here are tremendous, everyone would agree. the double edge sword is, you are giving a lot of yourself and subsequently feel chafed at times. I'd say take a break if you feel unappreciated. or offer up less of yourself. nothing wrong with that..
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sense of humor? Is that what you call it? Not me.

Yes, I give a lot of my time to this. Some people outwardly express gratitude, and some do it in private. I appreciate it all. I don't appreciate the total lack of gratitude when so much is offered to people

Should I spend less time here? Probably.
Pitarou

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
A sense of humor? Is that what you call it? Not me.
I think JerkyBoy blurrs the distinction between a joke dressed as an insult (friendly teasing) and an insult dressed as a joke.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: