Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In urgent need of advice please!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No cash and far too much worry.
Undergrad degree and CELTA.
Irish passport.
Clear criminal record check.

1st option would be to look at things like EPIK or JET.
Airfare and housing are usually included. Pay and benefits will be as expected with no funny business. You'd have the ability to SAVE about 8000 EUR over a year.

The job may or may not be shite (depends on your personality, how well you adjust to culture shock and who your co-workers are) but at least you will have the money in the bank at the end of it.

Next would be language academies in Korea, China. Care in selection and due diligence is necessary but decent jobs can be found and you can still save money.

These jobs (mentioned above) are typically found from abroad through the use of a recruiter.

Most other countries will require you to be "on-the-ground" and "face to face" when applying for work and you will need to be able to cover your airfare and have a financial cushion of 2000-3000 EUR to last you until you start earning money and get paid.

Salaries will vary from abysmal to decent and go from subsistence level to having the ability to SAVE (not earn) 500 EUR (or more) per month and still have a decent lifestyle.

Good luck in your search.
Don't believe everything you read.
Get your butt off the keyboard and onto a plane.

fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second tttompatz's suggestion that you try programmes like JET, NET (Hong Kong), and EPIK. (For some reason I thought you were over 40 DD Very Happy, didn't realize until just now reading back that you are only 26!). Application forms for JET this year may not be available yet (they will be come spring, IIRC. Edit: Oops, the application window and deadline is a lot shorter than I remembered - only a few months, from Sept to late Nov each year. See fat chris's post below), but you'll have until around the autumn to complete and submit 'em (they are quite involved e.g. require an essay, two sealed letters from referees, etc). Maybe do a search of my posts for my experiences and advice regarding the JET application and interview process etc.

With my job in China (with English First, in their first ever "joint venture" there, in Shanghai, so I'm talking almost 15 years ago!), they refunded half of the airfare a month or so after arrival, and refunded the second half (or bought a single airfare for whatever homeward or onward leg) on completion of the contract. Accommodation was provided, as apparently was health insurance (which in the absence of a health card I took to just mean they would pay to have your remains scraped off the road after a fleet of buses had driven then reversed over them). Initially the salary was only 4000 RMB, but they doubled this for everyone to 8000 RMB soon after I arrived, so I wasn't complaining. (This would be a pretty good wage even for today). Unfortunately due to the incompetence of their management (who'd gotten into bed with partners disliked by the actual authorities, so they'd had to cut corners and get business rather than proper work visas, as official and above-board permission to work hadn't been forthcoming), teachers began to have to do visa runs to Hong Kong and eventually were refused permission to work at all, resulting in most (including me) having to leave China. Which is why I always recommend getting the work visa in hand rather than relying on promises, promises. (Ah, but I was young and naive back then, and without the internet, so I took a leap, and got almost two years' experience under my belt, which made me glad I went. Beat part-time work or wages in the UK, that's for sure!).

Last edited by fluffyhamster on Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Irishdave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate those suggestions lads.

Good job all European passports are treated the same.
Ixchel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you like teaching though? Because all this fun stuff about travel and it sounds exciting but the reality is that you're going to on your feet 7 or more hours a day in front of a class of people (adults or children) and several more hours a day of prep possibly and there will be cultural differences to deal with on top of all that. So do you really like teaching? I'm at year 26 right now and when I look back at my career at home and abroad, what sticks in my mind is the tremendous amount of work for not a lot of money-regardless of the "high" salaries in certain parts of the world-they don't compare to the pay in other fields.
Irishdave

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ixchel wrote:
Do you like teaching though? Because all this fun stuff about travel and it sounds exciting but the reality is that you're going to on your feet 7 or more hours a day in front of a class of people (adults or children) and several more hours a day of prep possibly and there will be cultural differences to deal with on top of all that. So do you really like teaching? I'm at year 26 right now and when I look back at my career at home and abroad, what sticks in my mind is the tremendous amount of work for not a lot of money-regardless of the "high" salaries in certain parts of the world-they don't compare to the pay in other fields.

I did enjoy having banter and a great rapport with my students during my CELTA training, but other than that I have no other teaching experience...so I cannot really answer that question.

There are no jobs for me in the UK, that much is clear. I have been turned away by even the most simple of people for the most simple of jobs. "You are overqualified" "We don't believe you will want to stay with us for too long, you are too ambitious" and so on and so forth. So what is a guy to do?

I volunteer at the Citizens Advice Bureau but I am not working for free for the next 12 months. At the end of the day I cannot actually start living my life without a job. Whatever job I get, whether I get a teaching position or not will see me give nothing more than 100%.

Could I not do a masters? If I had the means of sustaining myself in Norway I would move there and do my masters.
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JET pays airfare, but as for free accommodation, not the typical case. In fact, with JET the motto is "every situation is different" (ESID). Very rare to have airfare and/or housing paid for in Japan. If you want both, you're going to have a tough time in most countries, I suspect!
JZer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want paid airfare and housing then your options are China and South Korea. It is that simple.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluffyhamster wrote:
I'll second tttompatz's suggestion that you try programmes like JET, NET (Hong Kong), and EPIK.

Thirded.

Applications for the 2014 summer intake (the next intake) of the JET programme should be made available around September 2013 with a due date around the end of November 2013.

Keep checking on their website periodically: www.jetprogramme.org

Good luck with it all!

Cool

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Shelby

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to get airfare and free accommodation in Russia.
Irishdave

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, I am not looking for both airfare and accommodation to be provided. One or the other is extremely helpful and I am happy to take a lower wage providing that is enough to sustain myself throughout my contract.

Other than that, I appreciate all of your comments. Keep them coming.
JZer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irishdave wrote:
Just to clarify, I am not looking for both airfare and accommodation to be provided. One or the other is extremely helpful and I am happy to take a lower wage providing that is enough to sustain myself throughout my contract.

Other than that, I appreciate all of your comments. Keep them coming.

Well then, you could get accommodation included in your contract anywhere in the world. However in some countries it is highly unlikely.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well then, you could get accommodation included in your contract anywhere in the world. However in some countries it is highly unlikely.

This seems contradictory. I can name regions where accomodation is not typically included in contracts...
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And remember, teaching is not always fun. It is, above all, A JOB? You are selling your Labour power in order to feed, clothe and house yourself and your family (or, in some cases, familiars).

Of course there are times when you have fun doing it,. but you could say that of the bus driver too.
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear scor47,

You may well be generally right, but not in my case. Teaching has ALWAYS been fun for me. Very Happy

Regards,
John
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But John, you are STRANGE !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: