Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How old were you ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrjack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: How old were you ? Reply with quote

How old were you when you got into TEFL ?
I'm a 38 year old teacher with 15 years experience in the UK.
Is TEFL a young mans game ? will I blend in at my age ? I'm so bored at home and need an adventure.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrjack wrote:
Is TEFL a young mans game ? will I blend in at my age ? I'm so bored at home and need an adventure.

Try between 18 to 60 and above, male and female. In fact, you'll find there is no average age for starting down the TEFL path.

You're obviously not new to these forums, yet it seems you've never taught EFL. What's been holding you back?

Instead of spinning your wheels pondering about what others have done/are doing, perhaps you should begin looking at options for your own TEFL "adventure." For starters, what is your specific teaching experience? Your academic degree(s)? A TEFL cert of any type? A teaching license? Where do you want to go? Who do you want to teach? Children? Adults?

Last edited by nomad soul on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First job at 21. Prior to that I had travelled in Europe and practised my foreign languages. I have known many who started later in life. Travel and TEFLing is addictive. It can become very difficult to settle down back on the farm. I am doing that now buit only because medical "issuies" forced me to retire at 64. I envy former colleagues still working away - one is now aged 79.

Last edited by scot47 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
sparks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started right after college at 22. Now 32. At 38 you are BY FAR not the oldest person to start in this business after a career at home. In fact, I'd say that you could still be called young.
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also started at 22. That was in 1995.
denise

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started when I was 23. I'm 37 now and have been home teaching at a university in the US for a year and a half now. I love my job, but after living abroad for so long and moving countries every few years, the thought that I have come home and "settled" is a bit scary.
mrjack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: well Reply with quote

Well it's been in my thoughts for a long time. I am a Uk trained teacher with fourteen years teaching experience in the UK and a year each in NZ, Oz.
My subject is Physical Education but I have experience teaching Mathematics and I.T. to examination level though could confidently offer these at Key stage 3.
I would not know where to start with TEFL so would do a course and then take it from there.
I have hit the point in my life where rural Wales is just not doing it for me any more, most of my friends are settled down with kids and my current job bores me to tears as does my social life which needs a drastic improvement. Basically I feel like I have nothing to loose though I am not really into cites which is where most of the work is I guess ?
tttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certified UK teacher with experience in the UK, NZ and OZ?

Why start at the bottom of the pile in EFL when proper international schools all over the planet are a viable and better paying option?

Perilla

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 33 when I got involved in TEFL, but unlike you Jack I had zero previous experience in teaching. As far as I'm concerned the actual "act" of teaching, irrespective of the subject, is 90% of the job, so you're already a good ways in. Of course there are differences teaching EFL and perhaps the biggest differences are related to living and working in foreign climes.

I agree with tttompatz you could be looking at international schools rather than entry-level TEFL jobs. You might be able to find a position looking for a PE teacher combined with TEFL, or either.
mrjack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks guys.
I am looking at International Schools but it is very competitive and being very experienced I am much more expensive than someone newly qualified. I see you are in Hong Kong, what are you doing over there ? how is it ?would you reccommend ?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

mrjack wrote:
I am looking at International Schools but it is very competitive and being very experienced I am much more expensive than someone newly qualified.

Okay, but international schools where? You still haven't provided an inkling as to which countries or region you would like to teach in. Better yet, where would you not want to go (based on climate, culture, geographical location, etc.)?
mrjack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Hong Kong Reply with quote

I love Asia and Hong Kong is my goal.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

mrjack wrote:
Thanks guys.
I am looking at International Schools but it is very competitive and being very experienced I am much more expensive than someone newly qualified. I see you are in Hong Kong, what are you doing over there ? how is it ?would you reccommend ?

How expensive do you think you really are?

TEFL in Asia pays on average between 600 and 1600 pounds per month.
NET in Hong Kong:

wrote:
Candidates with a Post-graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) or equivalent (not TEFL/TESL qualifications) will enter at HK$25,965 (approx. US$3,329*) per month.

PLUS benefits
http://www.edb.gov.hk/index.aspx?nodeID=1300&langno=1

International schools (as in international accreditation) in Asia, on average start at about 2000 gpb per month (plus benefits) and peak with top schools at about 5000 gbp per month plus benefits.

They require PCGE, QTS and a minimum of 2 years of experience.
Top schools are HIGHLY competitive. Lower tier schools are not so competitive if you are properly qualified.

One thing to be really aware of is that you can't compare jobs across different economies on the basis of salary alone.

2000 quid per month doesn't sound great if you live in London but it is just short of a kings ransom (100,000 thb/month) in Bangkok. Doubly so if you get other benefits like housing, medical and airfare on top of the base salary.

Look at the NET SAVINGS (jingle in your jeans at the end of the year). Properly qualified teachers can usually save a LOT more in Asia than they can in the UK and still enjoy a comparable or better standard of living.

mrjack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: expensive Reply with quote

Thanks.
When I said I was expensive, I meant because I am an experienced teacher and at the top of the pay scale, in the current economic climate I know that it can be a disadvantage in an allready very competitive environment.
Kofola

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most British International Schools are run by private companies (e.g. Nord Anglia) and as such are not on the pay scale. However, it depends on where you go of course, but you may get a pay decrease in comparison to what is on offer in the UK as a consequence. It is all relative, though, since depending on where you go, you can earn good salaries compared to local schools.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: