Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PRIVATE English Tutoring in Cali - Any Starter Advice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
f9ers55

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: PRIVATE English Tutoring in Cali - Any Starter Advice? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am considering attempting to do some English Tutoring while in Cali . . .

I would be most grateful for any learned advice on the following:

1. Books/Text Books that I could bring maybe with me
2. Market for Tutors
3. Location . . . their home/my home, public
4. What to charge
5. Length of sessions
6. Any licenses required to privatly tutor?
7. YOUR thoughts, life lessons or experiences while tutoring in Cali
8. How did you market your service/availability?

I'm not interested in working at colleges/universities or schools . . . only privately.

Thank you in advance for any assistance/information you can bring.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My general advice would be not to expect too much in a short space of time. You are going to be busy trying to settle down and after one or two months you can start getting things moving... You need to get yourself known and it takes time. From my experience, leaflets or posters didn't work. I put them up on the noticeboards around town and got zero response. I don't think the internet will get you a lot more students either. What will make the difference is a personal introduction and friends recommending you. I got all my students from people I knew and in Colombia (as in some other cultures) these recommendations are really important.

The next issue is the general flakiness of students. Most of the students I taught were upper class and they are busy people. They would often cancel classes. You are not going to be able to rely on the income to sustain you. For the experience, and as extra money, yes, but not as a reliable income.

No one asked me to teach from a textbook. They wanted speaking practice and I was also asked to correct letters/journals/emails.

For these kind of lessons one hour seems enough during a working week. 3000 pesos an hour is the average rate.

During your conversation with Colombians it is good to mention your qualifications, but nothing is needed on paper for tutoring.

I sometimes taught in cafes but drinks are quite expensive in the places where you might find many students. Once you get a room somewhere you will often have space to teach in the courtyard.

If you don't need the money this is a good way to start, otherwise just get a job with a language school and then take on private students as you meet people..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: