Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thai public schools
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barca21 wrote:
Thanks tompatz. I have everything you listed. Specifically in regards to EP/MEP programs are my quals acceptable? Will be arriving on the 15th.

Qualifications to work in Thailand (EP, MEP, government school, private school, language academy, temple school, etc) are: a degree, anglophone passport and a pulse.

Its NOT about the paper (beyond having what you need to get a visa and work permit).

IF you walk in, look presentable, have the paperwork to be legal and assuming that they have an opening then you get a job.

More important than your qualifications are:
Showered, shaved, shoes, shirt (tie) and not smelling like last night's party or a brothel.

dan1234

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the useful thread. I'm wondering how a newbie (like me) can find out where the EP/MEP programs are in Bangkok? I'd be fine dropping in with my clean look and paperwork, but I'm not sure how to know where to drop in. Any advice on finding them? Thanks!
Barca21

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan1234 wrote:
Thanks for the useful thread. I'm wondering how a newbie (like me) can find out where the EP/MEP programs are in Bangkok? I'd be fine dropping in with my clean look and paperwork, but I'm not sure how to know where to drop in. Any advice on finding them? Thanks!

I am wondering the same thing as Dan. I am currently in Bangkok and only see public school positions through agencies on Ajarn/outdated listings in the Bangkok Post. Can someone shed some light on the way one lands these positions? Alternatively, if anyone knows of a good school that is hiring and wants a free beer(s), PM me.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barca21 wrote:
dan1234 wrote:

I am wondering the same thing as Dan. I am currently in Bangkok and only see public school positions through agencies on Ajarn/outdated listings in the Bangkok Post. Can someone shed some light on the way one lands these positions? Alternatively, if anyone knows of a good school that is hiring and wants a free beer(s), PM me.

NOTHING happens the week before or during the week of Songkran (other than getting wet and hit with powder). Thai admin staff are all gone to their home provinces or the beaches for the holidays.

You should see 20-30 ads per day from now to the start of term on ajarn.
Look at the grey ads down the side of the page rather than the colorful ones in the middle if you want to avoid agencies.

Another alternative is to just look presentable and walk into schools in the neighborhoods you want to work in with an application package in hand. You'd be surprised just how often the old fashioned way works.

Barca21

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tttompatz! I was really getting nervous about the lack of listings on ajarn. Now I can keep doing touristy things and not feel like I'm neglecting the job hunt for the rest of the week.
flow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Thai schools public or private are dismal and not pleasant to work at. Been there done that. Great place for a few months to save some cash and move on, though. But again, for the serious educationalists amongst you I'd say, chooseJapan, Korea or Taiwan. At least there they truly care about education. The whole education system in Thailand is run by a bunch of clueless bozos, the reason Thai students perform poorly in international compettions. But hey this is just my personal opinion. Cool
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flow wrote:
Most Thai schools public or private are dismal and not pleasant to work at. Been there done that. Great place for a few months to save some cash and move on, though. But again, for the serious educationalists amongst you I'd say, chooseJapan, Korea or Taiwan. At least there they truly care about education. The whole education system in Thailand is run by a bunch of clueless bozos, the reason Thai students perform poorly in international compettions. But hey this is just my personal opinion. Cool

If you're frugal you will make $400 US per month in savings. However you have to consider unfortunate things like indiscriminate firings. Including the firings your savings could be none or they could even drain what you came with. As far as coming and working a few months, make sure you come with ample savings to fall back on or you might become one of the many expats that doesn't have the money to leave and teaches to survive from day to day.

In general Thailand should be taught in if you want to stay in Thailand for a certain amount of time. Also teaching in Thailand will give the teacher a good overview of the difficulties of teaching in a developing country, good for those who want learn about what education is like in SE Asia and other developing countries around the world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: