Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buy in Thai. or bring Nintendo Wii from USA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueStater

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Buy in Thai. or bring Nintendo Wii from USA Reply with quote

Just trying to figure what I ought to do. Simple enough issue I know, just wondering if I should buy and bring a Wii from USA while I am here or just buy one in BKK when I arrive next month?

I have a 2 yr contract
tttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Buy in Thai. or bring Nintendo Wii from USA Reply with quote

BlueStater wrote:
Just trying to figure what I ought to do. Simple enough issue I know, just wondering if I should buy and bring a Wii from USA while I am here or just buy one in BKK when I arrive next month?

I have a 2 yr contract

If you bring it from the states you will also need a voltage transformer since the electricity here, as is most of the rest of the planet, 220VAC and NOT 110VAC like in the USA.

You also have the problem with the TVs. Here they use PAL (like in the UK) and not NTSC like the states.

Buy it here.
BlueStater

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a ton for the info ttompatz! You have all the answers it appears. I'm buying it there
MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most major malls will have an electronics floor to buy Wii or PS3 and such. The two most well known places for electronics are probably Pantip Plaza (near Central World-near BTS Chidlom). The other is Fortune town which is on Ratchada road (near Rama 9 MRT station). You can probably buy a Wii that is chipped for about 4500 baht. But controllers and accessories are very expensive, so bring them if you have them ( I assume they will work with the models here, but dont know). Copied games can be found easily for about 150-250 baht/game. If you buy anything like this at these places, always check that it is all working before paying. Real games are harder to find and will be expensive.
kellrobinson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Buy in Thai. or bring Nintendo Wii from USA Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:

If you bring it from the states you will also need a voltage transformer.

Transformer no, adapter yes.
Modern solid state electronics (but not hair dryers, shavers, or things with heaters and motors in them) will run on any voltage worldwide. The only thing that needs to change is the shape of the prongs. An adapter to convert U.S. electronics for use in Asia, Europe or anywhere else will not have a transformer. Such an adapter merely connects through different shaped prongs. You can get an adapter for a few bucks, and it is small and light, nothing like a transformer. Whether to get an adapter is not the main consideration -- you should be looking at the cost of the Wii, and make your decision on that basis.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Buy in Thai. or bring Nintendo Wii from USA Reply with quote

kellrobinson wrote:
tttompatz wrote:

If you bring it from the states you will also need a voltage transformer.

Transformer no, adapter yes.
Modern solid state electronics (but not hair dryers, shavers, or things with heaters and motors in them) will run on any voltage worldwide. The only thing that needs to change is the shape of the prongs. An adapter to convert U.S. electronics for use in Asia, Europe or anywhere else will not have a transformer. Such an adapter merely connects through different shaped prongs. You can get an adapter for a few bucks, and it is small and light, nothing like a transformer. Whether to get an adapter is not the main consideration -- you should be looking at the cost of the Wii, and make your decision on that basis.

That is NOT always true.
It is usually true for things that are expected to travel (laptops, phone chargers, etc).

It is often not the case for things are are not expected to travel (game consoles, TVs, personal appliances, etc).

Read the label on your product to ensure that it is 110-250VAC BEFORE you plug it in.

Additionally, the (analog) TV formats are different.
NTSC and PAL are different and are not compatible with each other.

If you are talking digital (VGA/HDMI) then it doesn't matter about format.

kellrobinson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: wii input voltage Reply with quote

I decided to look for a definitive answer. It's a bit surprising.
While some wii sold in the U.S. come with adapters labeled 110, it appears that the label is a manufacturer's subterfuge to discourage export. They will accept 250 volts. See this web page:
http://www.ign.com/blogs/chuck0latte/2012/12/12/wii-u-power-adapters-usa-are-actually-universal-100-250vac-dual-voltage
I have a minor in Electrical Engineering and I found the information contained in this link convincing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: