Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESL Schools in Britain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capergirl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: ESL Schools in Britain Reply with quote

Hi everyone Very Happy
I'm going to London, England next month for two weeks and would like to check out a few of the ESL schools in the London area. Any recommendations? Very Happy Thanks in advance!
Albulbul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:06 am    Post subject: ESL in London ? Reply with quote

ESL in London ? Doing this you will be earning not much more than minimum wage in a VERY expensive location. Can you legally work in the UK ? If you can I would advise that you forget London and look elsewhere. If you have certifed teacher status you might be better to get a job teaching in primary or secondary school
Capergirl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether or not I can legally work in the UK is still being worked out. My daughter's father lives and teaches in London and he has someone doing some "leg work" for me. Wink What is minimum wage in London? Is it enough to live on? I will likely be sharing accommodations with other people on the outskirts of London if I find a position there. Does this sound plausible? Where else would you recommend I apply besides London? Very Happy Smile Wink
Albulbul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: London Reply with quote

Domestic help in London gets seven pounds an hour - often paid with no deuctions for income tax and national insurance. I have heard of EFL teachers getting as little as ten pounds an hour. Regular places may pay around 20 an hour but will deduct income tax and N.I. contributions.

If you can work legally you might want to consider doing something else. Or if you have qualified teacher status in your own country you could try teaching in the state school system. (Don't call it the "public school system" That means something different.)
andrew murphy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you should find out whether you are legally able to work in the UK before you do anything else. Australians under the age of 26? are entitled to work in the UK for up to two years or something like that. Perhaps Canada has a similar arrangement with the UK. It would be better/easier if you had EU citizenship.
As for the pay, all I can say is that I have every reason to believe it is minimal. Remember, if you are teaching ESL, i.e. teaching English in an English speaking country your students are more than likely to be from low socio-economic backgrounds, i.e. poor. Most of the work will be in the state education system which is grossly underresourced. I have friends teaching in the state secondary school system and they say that it is the pits!
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but forewarned is forearmed!
Mariana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living in London can be enormously expensive, and a lot of us are being priced right out of the area. I'd go for something a bit better paid than TEFL if you're planning on living there. They're crying out for school teachers, and you would be entitled to a London allowance, if you have QTS and are willing to work in London. There's plenty of work in London (or at least, that's where all the advertised jobs seem to be) but a lot of my friends who finished their PGCEs last year and who have been living and working in London ever since, complain that even with the London allowance, they're finding it difficult to make ends meet. Does it have to be London? There are quite a few English schools on the south coast, ie Brighton etc, and in some places like Oxford too. They're not all that far away from London (although that can be far enough - I wouldn't want to commute, but that might just be me) and at least they'll be (marginally) cheaper. There are much fewer opportunities up north, but if you can get a position there, your money might go a bit further. I hope that helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: