Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting a work permit with only a College Diploma

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dudeteacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Getting a work permit with only a College Diploma Reply with quote

I have two mates, CELTA qualified looking to come to Thailand.

However, they're Canadian and only have a three year College diploma. This is known as community college and is not a degree. One has a diploma in Public Relations, the other in International Marketing.

They're experienced.
Is there a chance of them having a problem with the work permit?

Dude
tttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Getting a work permit with only a College Diploma Reply with quote

dudeteacher wrote:
I have two mates, CELTA qualified looking to come to Thailand.

However, they're Canadian and only have a three year College diploma. This is known as community college and is not a degree. One has a diploma in Public Relations, the other in International Marketing.

They're experienced.
Is there a chance of them having a problem with the work permit?

Dude

If it doesn't say "Bachelor of _________" there is virtually "0" chance of getting a non-b with work permit as a teacher.

They may get lucky and some school (or worse, agency) may hire them as "non-academic" staff (even though they are teaching) but it is dodgy at best and not without risk.

After 2015 the ONLY place left in East Asia will be Taiwan (where you can still get a proper visa with an associate degree (Canadian diploma) and a TEFL/TESOL course.

One other (legal) option is the TaLK program in Korea ( http://www.talk.go.kr/talk/talk/talkhme/main.jsp ). 15 classes per week, rural locations and 1.5m krw/month (US$1300) + rent and airfare.

dudeteacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz,

I'll pass it along. Is it possible to get a resident's visa and look for work?
tttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dudeteacher wrote:
ttompatz,

Not unless you are married to a Thai national or have 800,000 thb ($30 thousand CAD) to invest or let sit in a Thai bank.

Get a double entry tourist visa (rather than the 30-day on arrival stamp).
It will give you 6 months (with extensions and a border run) to figure out what to do since they can't get a non-b and work permit.

ldragon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I need a TEFL to get a work permit? I have a BA in English, but no TEFL. I've had two work permits in the past, one from a language school and the other from a government school. The last one was issued as recently as October 2012. Yet my current employer- a language school- just told me there was a change in the law last year and I can't get a work permit w/out a TEFL. Is this true? Or is it possible they're not speaking to the right people at MOE/MOL? I know it's entirely possible they're lying and either don't want to get me the work permit or are trying to get rid of me...
dudeteacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
dudeteacher wrote:
ttompatz,

Not unless you are married to a Thai national or have 800,000 thb ($30 thousand CAD) to invest or let sit in a Thai bank.

It will give you 6 months (with extensions and a border run) to figure out what to do since they can't get a non-b and work permit.

Can I assume the double entry visa by itself is just two months?
dudeteacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dudeteacher wrote:
tttompatz wrote:
dudeteacher wrote:
ttompatz,

I've just been told that the Thai Embassy say Canadians can get a non immigrant visa-multiple entry-one year.
Cheap too, only 180 dollars.

Is it feasible that these guys can get an ok job for that year whilst they use their immigrant visa.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldragon wrote:
Do I need a TEFL to get a work permit? I have a BA in English, but no TEFL. I've had two work permits in the past, one from a language school and the other from a government school. The last one was issued as recently as October 2012. Yet my current employer- a language school- just told me there was a change in the law last year and I can't get a work permit w/out a TEFL. Is this true? Or is it possible they're not speaking to the right people at MOE/MOL? I know it's entirely possible they're lying and either don't want to get me the work permit or are trying to get rid of me...

A TEFL is NOT required for the non-b or the W/P.

Effective policy change from the change in the TCT at the end of January: if you have had 2 provisional teachers permits (required for the W/P) issued in the past they will NOT issue a 3rd unless you have completed the culture course and TCT tests (at which point you qualify for an actual teaching license).

2 of our teachers had their applications for a 3rd provisional teachers permit declined by the TCT even though they had begun but not yet completed the TCT tests.

It may be that they are unable to get your TCT permission (without which you can't get a WP).
It may be that they want to get rid of you.
It may be that they want to sell you a TEFL course.
It may be that they are just blowing smoke out their azz.

dudeteacher wrote:

2 entries of 60 days each.
each entry can also have a 30-day extension effectively making it 2 entries of 90 days each.

dudeteacher wrote:
I've just been told that the Thai Embassy say Canadians can get a non immigrant visa-multiple entry-one year.

Is it feasible that these guys can get an ok job for that year whilst they use their immigrant visa.

Told by who?? not the embassy.

They can also sign up for a "culture and language course" and get a one year ED visa too.

In any case it is illegal to work on anything but a non-b with a work permit and without the degree or major investments they can't get either.

Come in as a tourist. You'll quickly find out what you can and cannot do.
Teaching (legally) is no longer an option without a degree. (effective 2015 a degree will be a requirement in ALL of the ASEAN block).

Teaching illegally on the wrong visa is possible but there are risks and the risks are theirs to bear.

dudeteacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
ldragon wrote:
Do I need a TEFL to get a work permit? I have a BA in English, but no TEFL. I've had two work permits in http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/privmsg.php?folder=inboxthe past, one from a language school and the other from a government school. The last one was issued as recently as October 2012. Yet my current employer- a language school- just told me there was a change in the law last year and I can't get a work permit w/out a TEFL. Is this true? Or is it possible they're not speaking to the right people at MOE/MOL? I know it's entirely possible they're lying and either don't want to get me the work permit or are trying to get rid of me...

A TEFL is NOT required for the non-b or the W/P.

Effective policy change from the change in the TCT at the end of January: if you have had 2 provisional teachers permits (required for the W/P) issued in the past they will NOT issue a 3rd unless you have completed the culture course and TCT tests (at which point you qualify for an actual teaching license).

2 of our teachers had their applications for a 3rd provisional teachers permit declined by the TCT even though they had begun but not yet completed the TCT tests.

It may be that they are unable to get your TCT permission (without which you can't get a WP).
It may be that they want to get rid of you.
It may be that they want to sell you a TEFL course.
It may be that they are just blowing smoke out their azz.

dudeteacher wrote:

2 entries of 60 days each.
each entry can also have a 30-day extension effectively making it 2 entries of 90 days each.

dudeteacher wrote:

Told by who?? not the embassy.

They can also sign up for a "culture and language course" and get a one year ED visa too.

In any case it is illegal to work on anything but a non-b with a work permit and without the degree or major investments they can't get either.

Come in as a tourist. You'll quickly find out what you can and cannot do.
Teaching (legally) is no longer an option without a degree. (effective 2015 a degree will be a requirement in ALL of the ASEAN block).

Teaching illegally on the wrong visa is possible but there are risks and the risks are theirs to bear.

Yep. Visited the Thai Consulate's website for Toronto. They say so.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then go for it but don't say you weren't told.

dudeteacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
Then go for it but don't say you weren't told.

Sorry maybe I misunderstood you. I meant they can get a non immigrant visa for a yr - multiple entry.

I didn't mean that the Consulate says they could look for work whilst they had it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: