Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA or TEFL Cert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mocc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: CELTA or TEFL Cert Reply with quote

Newbie here-

I've been interested in teaching English in Asia for quite sometime and feel that I'm ready to take the plunge. Since I have no relevant teaching experience I've been considering the CELTA certification. My largest concern is the cost. Though I have the money, I'm a bit leery on spending over $2000 to find out that I may not enjoy teaching. Ideally, I would like to teach for one year as a test drive with a lesser qualification than the CELTA and then go from there. I've narrowed my choices down to China, preferably a university or Thailand. I realize that both of these countries pay very little but since I'm a complete newbie with no real experience I may as well start in a country that I like. I have no interest in teaching in Korea.

I see plenty of TEFL programs advertised but it's hard for a newbie to distinguish between the good and the bad. There is an Oxford Seminars program that is held at universities all over the US but my limited research tells me that it's a waste of time and money. Is there a reputable TEFL certification program that is recommended? Will that program coupled with a degree be enough to land a job in a Chinese university or a Thai school?

About me-

I'm a American in his mid thirties with a BS and have been working in hospitality management. I have traveled extensively throughout Asia and am somewhat familiar with the cultures.

-Many Thanks
tttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: CELTA or TEFL Cert Reply with quote

mocc wrote:
Newbie here-

I've been interested in teaching English in Asia for quite sometime and feel that I'm ready to take the plunge. Since I have no relevant teaching experience I've been considering the CELTA certification. My largest concern is the cost. Though I have the money, I'm a bit leery on spending over $2000 to find out that I may not enjoy teaching. Ideally, I would like to teach for one year as a test drive with a lesser qualification than the CELTA and then go from there. I've narrowed my choices down to China, preferably a university or Thailand. I realize that both of these countries pay very little but since I'm a complete newbie with no real experience I may as well start in a country that I like. I have no interest in teaching in Korea.

I see plenty of TEFL programs advertised but it's hard for a newbie to distinguish between the good and the bad. There is an Oxford Seminars program that is held at universities all over the US but my limited research tells me that it's a waste of time and money. Is there a reputable TEFL certification program that is recommended? Will that program coupled with a degree be enough to land a job in a Chinese university or a Thai school?

About me-

I'm a American in his mid thirties with a BS and have been working in hospitality management. I have traveled extensively throughout Asia and am somewhat familiar with the cultures.

-Many Thanks

You are aware that CELTA IS a TEFL/TESOL course.
CELTA is the brand name of the Cambridge course.
The other better known and respected ones are the Trinity cert. TESOL and the SIT cert. TESOL.
There ARE other generic TEFL courses that meet the basics (120 hours with a minimum of 6 hours of observed practicum with real students (not peers)).

For Thailand, you can pretty much rule out a university job with only a BA, no EFL cert., no experience and no connections.

There are LOTS of other alternatives but fresh off the plane you are looking at 32-36k thb. A TEFL cert is NOT needed to get a job, visa or work permit. Bring your degree parchment (yes, the original), a set of transcripts, and a police check (state or FBI, which ever is most convenient).

The BEST time to be on the ground for your job search is from now to May.
Skip the on-line searches. NOTHING decent will be found on-line while you are still sitting state side. It is a boots-on-the-ground thing for Thailand.

For China, you need some sort of TEFL to get your "Z" visa.
Oxford, as crap as they are, will fill the bill. So will a cheap ITTT on-line cert.
They won't likely teach you anything but they do meet the requirements for the visa.

You can also get work on a "F" (business) visa. It is technically illegal but is commonly done. A TEFL cert then won't be needed. Your degree is adequate. Start e-mailing recruiters.

coledavis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to add two points. The first is that at least with CELTA, Trinity and I think the SIT, is that these are regulated, i.e. there is some basic standard applied to the courses. The second, relating to my 'I think' qualification, is that the SIT does not have the global recognition of the other two certificates. If you have a particular country in mind and, looking at the advertisements, you find that it doesn't matter too much, then let that be your guide. If you want the widest acceptability around the world, then opt for the CELTA or Trinity.
mocc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll do the CELTA as opposed to taking my chances on a low quality program that may not advance my qualifications in the future.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: CELTA or TEFL Cert Reply with quote

mocc wrote:
Newbie here-

About me-

-Many Thanks

BTW, check out MY Sticky:

Advice to NEWBIES!

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=86411
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: