Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the least I should expect to get paid.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtGuy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Of course, I am posting as one of the low earners. But Im also posting as one of the 'deliriously happy in my legal job that pays on time and looks after me exactly as I expect them to' people. Money isnt the only thing to look at in China IMHO .. think whole package and you'll do OK 9 times out of 10. Some jobs that pay low may work out much better overall than jobs that pay high."

Amen to the above.

Please, newbies, pay attention to this line of thinking and don't just look at the money. China is one really strange place and you are sheep waiting to be sheared in the eyes of many employers. Besides, it's pretty easy to pick up side jobs if you want extra income.

Dirt Guy
NoBillyNO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one am more comfortable with everything being negotiated in currency. I would never (wherever) let my employer be controlling housing or insurance.
ecubyrd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Op, you have good qualifications to get a good job teaching esl that pays quite well, has good 'bennies', and is a pleasurable place to work. Don't sell yourself short if you have the time to look around and choose. Hell, I wish that you would have been looking and I'd seen this thread the last time we were hiring, tbo.
dudeteacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtGuy wrote:
"Of course, I am posting as one of the low earners. But Im also posting as one of the 'deliriously happy in my legal job that pays on time and looks after me exactly as I expect them to' people. Money isnt the only thing to look at in China IMHO .. think whole package and you'll do OK 9 times out of 10. Some jobs that pay low may work out much better overall than jobs that pay high."

Amen to the above.

Please, newbies, pay attention to this line of thinking and don't just look at the money. China is one really strange place and you are sheep waiting to be sheared in the eyes of many employers. Besides, it's pretty easy to pick up side jobs if you want extra income.

Dirt Guy

Do you mean privates. Or are there other options, if so please give some examples.

I used to do voice over work for documentaries in Istanbul and it paid damn well.
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dudeteacher wrote:
DirtGuy wrote:

Amen to the above.

Dirt Guy

Do you mean privates.

That's exactly what he means. Plenty of other options. For example if you're not horribly obese with a crater face you could luck into some kind of modeling work, but that stuff is piecemeal and not as reliable as steady part time English teaching.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Javelin of Radiance wrote:
That's exactly what he means. Plenty of other options. For example if you're not horribly obese with a crater face you could luck into some kind of modeling work, but that stuff is piecemeal and not as reliable as steady part time English teaching.

This is another reason why I am considering sticking around on the Mainland for a while. There seems to be lots of other side options that could keep things interesting and keep the pockets fat.

Word of the day: 关系!

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dudeteacher - you do have an undergradutate degree as well right? There is no mention of that in your post. Whilst experience and CELTA is nice, you need the undergrad degree to be 'legal'.

I was being a bit flippant lining up all the things I think are key, but the whole package thing is really important I think. My first job in China paid the grand sum of 3300 RMB per month, which would draw absolute gasps of horror. The next job I applied for in China was with a training centre that pay in excess of 11,000 per month. But the training school deal is actually worse IMO.

That low paid job was in a desirable location, with few working hours and 17 weeks paid holiday. End of year bonus was up to 10,000 for flight money, which was paid without question. The FAO used to bring people to my fully employer paid housing for private lessons (in fact one of my neighbours used to host full classes for kids in her house ... she was making serious coin!)

The training centre job is in a less desirable location, with no housing provided or end-of-year bonus, and you work so many hours and weekends that the odds of side work are quite limited. The headline salary is higher ... but over the year its a far worse job I think.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denim-Maniac wrote:
(in fact one of my neighbours used to host full classes for kids in her house ... she was making serious coin!)

The image of 20 kids crammed into someone's living room for lessons amuses me. Hee hee. Very Happy

This is what it would look like:

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Confused Surprised Sad Very Happy Very Happy Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Wink Crying or Very sad Laughing Very Happy Very Happy Shocked Cool

Denim-Maniac wrote:
The training centre job is in a less desirable location

This is so key. Even though I am living in a second tier city, it's a provincial capital that is on the up-and-up. I am beginning to see how people could get into other things here.

As the real estate people say...LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!

Warm regards,
fat_chris
dudeteacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This offer is in Badong:

Contract duration:one year (from Feb. 25th, 2012 to Jan. 25, 2013)
Monthly Salary: Monthly RMB 7,200-7,500-7,700-7,900 based on degree and teaching experience (covering basic salary RMB4,500-4,800-5,000-5,200, house rent allowance RMB 2,000, residential allowance RMB 500, insurance allowance and clinic allowance RMB 200).

Even if one got top dollar. You would only have 5200 CNY cash left over which may be good in that city. I don't know.

Doesn't look like you could save as much as 300 dollars a month.

I find it very surprising that a lot of recruiters are saying a degree is not necessary. ARe they lying or are they planning to get the teacher work whilst living on a Resident's Visa.

Dude
ecubyrd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denim-Maniac wrote:
dudeteacher - you do have an undergradutate degree as well right? There is no mention of that in your post.

That is a good and fair point, DM. Without knowing that, it is hard for people to give you pertinent advice, op.
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That contract sounds like a contract from the notorious "Hangzhou Helen".
http://www.helengroup.com/hotjobs_con.asp?id=390&classid=25

The website should have the info needed to contact the school directly so that you do not have to deal with Zhejiang University Helen Chinatefl Network Co., Ltd.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dudeteacher wrote:
This offer is in Badong:

Monthly Salary: Monthly RMB 7,200-7,500-7,700-7,900 based on degree and teaching experience (covering basic salary RMB4,500-4,800-5,000-5,200, house rent allowance RMB 2,000, residential allowance RMB 500, insurance allowance and clinic allowance RMB 200).

Even if one got top dollar. You would only have 5200 CNY cash left over which may be good in that city. I don't know.

I find it very surprising that a lot of recruiters are saying a degree is not necessary. ARe they lying or are they planning to get the teacher work whilst living on a Resident's Visa.

Dude

badong: Coal mining in small pits is the main commercial activity in the region, along with farming. There is also a large cement factory on the river to the east of the town, which is a significant polluter. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badong_County]

sounds lovely. good news is you can probably easily live off your housing
allowance, covering housing and food and transport. with nothing to do in
town, other than go ktv or poop in the street, you can maybe bank your
entire salary.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

choudoufu wrote:
dudeteacher wrote:
This offer is in Badong:

Dude

badong: Coal mining in small pits is the main commercial activity in the region, along with farming. There is also a large cement factory on the river to the east of the town, which is a significant polluter.

Buy a six pack of heavy feather dusters. . .
DirtGuy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dudeteacher,

Listen to what people are telling you here. What you are contemplating is not a good idea for soooooooooooo many reasons.

As long as people like you continue to take c**p jobs like this, nothing will ever change in this country.

DirtGuy
Alexus22

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

So basic salary is only 4500-5200? I think it's absolutely beggarly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: