Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cram schools exploiting teacher demonstrations?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
do_japan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Cram schools exploiting teacher demonstrations? Reply with quote

I had an "interview"/demonstration lesson at Joy English School in Taoyuan this week. They asked me to prepare a lesson designed around a chapter in their grammar book. I thought the demo lesson went great and I really enjoyed it. However, the director walked out of the 30-minute lesson after about 5 minutes. Afterwards, the "interview" consisted of the director saying they will call me after they decide who to hire; she didn't ask any questions of substance. I didn't find that very encouraging.

It turns out that a friend of mine who is also an English teacher in Taiwan had interviewed for the same position two weeks prior, under even worse circumstances. He arrived at 3PM, they asked him to give a demonstration lesson around 7PM, so he reluctantly agreed to wait around for 4 hours. Then they asked him to come back the next day and give another demo at 7PM. Afterwards, nothing encouraging was said.

More than two weeks of searching, probably dozens of candidates and demo lessons, and they can't find a suitable teacher. I theorize that they are perhaps milking a saturated job market to save money for a few months. Both of us were left with a sense that they got a free lesson out of us.
88Sparky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Green English School in Erlin (Taiwan) tried to pull that trick on me too, and I said no thanks. I gave them a 6 minute demonstration by YouTube, which they liked, then they told me I got the job. Then I flew down to Taiwan, and then they told me I had to do another demonstration so they would sign the contract. AVOID THE GREEN ENGLISH SCHOOL at ALL COSTS in ERLIN! They don't have a streamlined manner of communication.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often thought some schools exploit this. If you're required to do a demo, insist that the school reimburse you for any travel expenses and meal costs if they ask you to show up at one time and then have you sitting around for hours. And limit your demo to 15-20 minutes. That's more than enough time for them to assess you, and not enough time for them to get a free lesson at your expense.
phdinfunk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done long-ish demos before.... where they didn't interrupt and let it drag on and on... but they all were followed with a job offer. If somebody wanted a second demo outside of odd circumstances, I would definitely walk away.
sun63

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To 88sparky,

I just want to say "Thanks God" , we don't need to work with you and suffer your rudeness and racial discrimination. Or, maybe you can explain to everyone here that why you told to my colleague who is from southeastern asia country that it is impossible for her to teach in "YOUR" country because she is from XXX country. Or maybe you think we just can act as "Your" servants.
You were asked for another teaching demo because your bad working attutide. Don't you know that? Of course you don't know, because you think you are perfect.
Also, maybe you can explain to everyone here that why you move out and left without any notice. Childish and Irresponsible!!! Facts speak louder than words. I believe they will know how we feel if they worked with you once.

To all teachers who are looking for new teaching job,

Put yourself in the bosses' shoes. It's very common for school bosses that they will want to see your real teaching directly, in order to make their decision, to sign the contract or not. This contract is not only signed for you and school, but also signed for our parents and students. It's a promise.
As long as you are qualifid, why be so afraid of teaching demos?
romanworld

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sun63 wrote:
As long as you are qualifid, why be so afraid of teaching demos?

Well, if you're qualified, why the demo? I think that teachers who are well-qualified and have the experience shouldn't really be asked to do a demo, unless of course the school pays for their time. This demo thing seems to be unique to Taiwan and it leaves teachers feeling both humiliated and exploited. It seems to me that many buxibans are inviting teachers with limited experience in to do a demo, and if they cut the mustard, they're hired at inferior rates of pay. Unfortunately the Taiwanese market is saturated with teachers, so the greedy bosses have the upper-hand for the time being. All I can say to teachers is be very suspicious of schools that are asking for demos. As people have rightly noted here . . . the schools are just after a few free lessons. In fact if they just keep bringing suckers in to teach demos, they'll be no need to pay salaries and the bosses will be laughing all the way to the bank. God, Taiwan education: What a nightmare.
sun63

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To romanworld,

Not only English teachers in Taiwan, but also any kind of workers worldwide would be asked for "demonstration" in kinds of presentation. If not, how do your boss/ interviewer know how "well-qualified" you are? After you work/teach for a while? No Way! Bad teachers/workers will damage their goodwill, right?!
Who will compensate the companies/schools for their losses?

Yes, God, Taiwan English education: What a nightmare, because there are so many terrible and bad-qualified foreign teachers teaching our children! They just think how many salary they can get, without thinking how to help these students.

If you were really well-qualified, I believe "demonstration" is just a piece of cake to you, right? Or, you are just a guy who can speak English?! We don't know who you are, that's why we need a "demonstration"!!

So, as long as you are qualifid, why be so afraid of teaching demos?
romanworld

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sun63 wrote:
So, as long as you are qualifid, why be so afraid of teaching demos?

Demos are fine but the cram schools just need to pay the teachers for these demos otherwise you're taking advantage of the teacher. Unfortunately Taiwanese bosses expect too much and pay too little, which is why there are so many unqualified teachers in Taiwan. Pay more and you'll get a better calibre of teacher!
Rooster_2006

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely felt some schools were milking me for free lesson time, too. I interviewed at some schools that expected two full-length demo lessons. One of them had me teach about two hours, praised my demos and said they would "probably hire me," then turned right around and said "actually, we already have a teacher" by phone.

I understand that lesson demos are needed because some teachers are great on paper, but terrible in the classroom, or vice versa, but these demo lessons should be kept short (one lesson). If they are longer than one lesson, the school needs to pay the teacher something to show they aren't just milking the teacher for free lesson time, which I got a sense is happening a lot.

I mean, if you have ten "candidates" doing two-hour demo lessons per candidate per week, then that's 20 hours of free lesson time per week. That's enough to run a small neighborhood buxiban without paying any teacher at all!
romanworld

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rooster_2006 wrote:
I mean, if you have ten "candidates" doing two-hour demo lessons per candidate per week, then that's 20 hours of free lesson time per week. That's enough to run a small neighborhood buxiban without paying any teacher at all!

Yes, if a crooked Buxiban was to run ads every week for teachers and ask them each to do a couple of free demos, then you wouldn't need to pay teachers. Some Buxibans actually run their corrupt operations like this. Disgusting, really.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: