Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA in Ecuador?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hannah_M

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: addendum! Reply with quote

One other thing - yes - SC won't recruit non-British teachers for their own teaching centres, however, most of the people who take their CELTA there are not British, and they use the SC network to find jobs in mining companies, universities etc. Even the British School in Quito employs non-British ESL support staff. An American friend of mine who took the course at SC held that post for a year or so.
just_a_mirage

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be aware that Ecuador offers a permanant resident Professional Visa. With a degree you can register at Senescyt...a branch of the Education Ministry, then apply for a resident visa.
Ellenita

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: CELTA in Montañita, Ecuador Reply with quote

I've just finished the CELTA in Montañita and cannot rate it highly enough! It was tough, but such a great experience. If you want to know anymore, I've written about the course on my website: [b]MOD EDIT[/b] It's a website all about my move to Ecuador - it's in progress & I'm still learning how all this works, so please bear with me Smile Thanks!
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: addendum! Reply with quote

Glad to hear you had a good experience Ellenita. Good luck with your plans.

As this thread has been brought up again, I will add that this...

Hannah_M wrote:
One other thing - yes - SC won't recruit non-British teachers for their own teaching centres, however, most of the people who take their CELTA there are not British, and they use the SC network to find jobs in mining companies, universities etc. Even the British School in Quito employs non-British ESL support staff. An American friend of mine who took the course at SC held that post for a year or so.

...is not correct. SC (now 'British School of Language') have been employing non-British teachers in Quito for several years, and many of the current teachers are not British.

The British School Quito also employs both British and non-British teaching staff and support staff.
lagringalindissima

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: For anyone reading this.. Reply with quote

If you want to go to Asia or the Middle East (or Europe if you have an EU passport) a CELTA might be worth it-- I have never even applied for any jobs anywhere outside of Latin America so I don't know either way-- but if you are just aiming to go to Latin America do a TEFL.

1) It is much cheaper..and you won't earn anywhere near enough to recover 2,000 if that's what a CELTA costs. (That was just a price quote here and I don't know what it costs..but the TEFL should be much cheaper).

2) Every language school in Latin America I have ever seen an ad for or dealt with an any way--which is over a dozen and in many countries-- wants "a TEFL or equivalent". Of course a CELTA is an equivalent, but that tells me that the TEFL is actually more recognized.

3) You can do a TEFL online or in another country.

4) If you are aiming to get a top tier job, the qualifications that help include having a masters, knowing at least some Spanish, and having experience. A CELTA isn't considered a higher quality degree in Latin America, so even if you think you want to live in Latin America permanently a CELTA isn't necessary.

5) I did a MA in ESL so I don't have a TEFL or a CELTA, but my understanding is that a CELTA costs more since you actually get practical training in front of a real class..but you can be a volunteer teacher in Latin America. That way you can get experience, a recommendation letter from a director of a volunteer program, and Spanish fluency. Not only that, after you finish with a volunteer gig you are not only in a foreign country Smile but should also have some connections and some idea of where/how to look for a job. Yes you might have to pay, but if a CELTA is 2,000 vs. just a few hundred for a TEFL it might be better to pay to volunteer. And volunteering is good just because we are global citizens and people who can't afford English classes often really need them, too.
Jechaca

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: For anyone reading this.. Reply with quote

As someone about to make the jump to Latin America, I feel the need to respond to a few things from the post above.

lagringalindissima wrote:

1) It is much cheaper..and you won't earn anywhere near enough to recover 2,000 if that's what a CELTA costs. (That was just a price quote here and I don't know what it costs..but the TEFL should be much cheaper).

The range for a CELTA course in Latin America is about $1600-$2000. As for other on-site TEFL certifications with 120 or more hours of training (the standard which should be inquired about by any future employer worth their salt) the range is about $1100-$1800. The cost difference can be substantial if one can spend the time finding a good accredited program.

2) Every language school in Latin America I have ever seen an ad for or dealt with an any way--which is over a dozen and in many countries-- wants "a TEFL or equivalent". Of course a CELTA is an equivalent, but that tells me that the TEFL is actually more recognized.

I think you have a misunderstanding of what "TEFL" means. There is no such thing as "the TEFL" because TEFL is just a blanket acronym for all certification programs worldwide. There are numerous TEFL certifications. Also, CELTA is not "equivalent" to a TEFL certification; it is a TEFL certification. It just so happens to be the most famous and respected one, for better or worse.

3) You can do a TEFL online or in another country.

Online certifications are looked down upon and should also be inquired about by any serious employer, doubly so if you're entering the field with no teaching experience. An online certification will not net you a better job than no certification, most of the time.

As for the CELTA not being highly valued in Latin America, I can't really argue it until I get down there myself and see firsthand what the job market is like, but I'm very skeptical of the claim, as the majority of online job postings ask for a CELTA or equivalent 120-hour TEFL certification.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jechaca you are absolutely right, but it seems most posters are choosing not to engage with Gringa anymore. You can read back over some of the older threads to find out why, if you are really interested.

FWIW the CELTA is definitely valued in Quito, as is SIT, which is equivalent. The top paying language school here will only employ people with a CELTA. The pay difference between there and somewhere like Wall St. is at least $5/hr (more, if you have experience, etc). So you would make the fee back within a year.

It will also make you a better teacher. These certificates are valued because the standardisation reassures employers. They know people who have taken one of them have the minimum teaching skills required. As other posters on here have shown, it's perfectly possible to have an MA and lots of experience, and still be unable to actually do the job.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLJHLJ wrote:
FWIW the CELTA is definitely valued in Quito, as is SIT, which is equivalent.

And, I'd like to point out that if you're going to be in Latin America anyway, SIT is a good deal in terms of price. In Quito, it's only $1500 plus about $15/day for a homestay (room and board) w/a local family. In Costa Rica, it's $2100, but that includes room and board as well as tuition.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a good deal, prof. As far as I am aware the main courses currently on offer here are:

http://www.eilecuador.org/
A SIT course run over 4 weeks.

Quito: 4 week SIT course = $1,600 (food and accomodation extra).
ESL Prof says the home stay option is $15/d, which is about right for Quito.

http://www.celtainecuador.com/
A CELTA course run over 5 weeks rather than the usual 4. The parent company (Southern Cross/British School of Language) has just become part of International House. They have 2 course options.

Montañita: 5 week CELTA course + accommodation + food = $2,595

Cuenca: 5 week CELTA course = $1,595 (food and accomodation extra, and they will charge you $100 if you want them to help you find accommodation).

http://www.celtagalapagos.com/
A CELTA course based on Santa Cruz Island in the Galapagos.

Galapagos: 4 week CELTA course = $2,350 (food and accom. extra)
They offer B&B for $1,028 or you can make your own arrangements.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like there's some compelling training options in Ecuador, HLJHLJ! The biggest expense involved in studying there (or, for that matter, anywhere outside of one's home country) would be the airfare. However, if your goal is to look for work in the same country where you do your initial training, then you've got both the advantage of low tuition and housing as well as the opportunity to begin networking for jobs while your still in training.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: