Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A new phonetic alphabet - BBC News
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shroob

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: A new phonetic alphabet - BBC News Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21505114

What does everyone think?
just another laowai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: A new phonetic alphabet - BBC News Reply with quote

Shroob wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21505114

What does everyone think?

Pretty stupid and eurocentric while ignoring the fact that there are things like tones, vowel harmony, accents, etc. IPA exists for a reason, and it's just about as simple as you can get to capture everything.
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a longer and more discursive article than the one I posted a while back. Thanks for the link, Shroob!

The theoretical advantage of SaypU is that it could be typed on a standard keyboard (though using a reverse e for the schwa doesn't seem a good idea). Then again, so can standard English LOL. And how likely is it that switching and re-educating to an entirely new respelling system would ever be a political winner anywhere.

@JAL: I guess Chinese tones could be represented by numbers after the syllable, like they sometimes are in e.g. Mandarin currently. (A decision would need to be made as to whether the tones would be canonical/each in seeming isolation, or taking account of tone sandhi - ni3 hao3 versus ni2 hao3). I'm not sure that vowel harmony would be a problem in context.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's funny is hearing native English speakers mispronounce words they've only encountered in print.
--------------------
Also in the news this week:

Quote:
The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the Europe rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, the British Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5- year phase-in plan that would become known as "Euro-English".

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy.

The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of "k". This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f". This will make words like fotograf 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.

Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling.

Also, al wil agre that the horibl mes of the silent "e" in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away.

By the 4th yer people wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v".

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensibl riten styl.

Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech oza. Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru!

Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze forst plas.

If zis mad you smil, pleas pas on to oza pepl.

johntpartee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What goes around comes around. It seems that every twenty years or so somebody comes up with some new way of "normalizing" spelling and/or pronunciation. It never takes. Always kinda fun, though. Makes our beloved mother tongue look like some sort of bizarre cross between Urdu and Martian.
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad idea and bad article! IMHO because people change the way they talk all the tiem.

I was reading some books about language and they showed that wehn someone says a word in a sentence the word changes its sound so the regualr spelling doesn't always capture the word.

Think about it...

hand
bag

Put them together: "hambag"

Sand
Witch

Put them together: "samwitch"

Wink

Also, why do they use an example of an idiom (Khruschev's "we will burry you")?

Even if all the spelling is the same people will still talk in local ways with local accents and local words and local langauges. There will always be the possibility for misunderstanding.

And recently there was the Ahmadinejad thing too. I don't think all mistakes of translation are innocent either. Wink

It is a pipedream! Cool
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I use reductions sometimes (rarely in the classroom and mostly only with native speakers) but I'm sure I've never said 'samwich' or 'hambag.' Shocked What the heck book did that come from?!

I've only 'taught' reductions ( as a listening skill - I don't think it's an element that non-native speakers need to master in production in most cases) only for immigrants or students who are going to work long-term with native speakers who use 'em (e.g. Texans:-)).

Quote:
why do they use an example of an idiom (Khruschev's "we will burry you")?

I strongly suspect that this quote of Khruschev's was intended literally, not idiomatically Confused .
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect it comes from the Wiki entry for 'assimilation':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assimilation_(linguistics)

A far better example could be 'sunburn', where most speakers do indeed tend to turn the 'n' into an 'm'.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does Nikita's quote come into any of this, by the way? As it happens, the Russian idiom has been grossly misinterpreted by western piggie media outlets, deliberately perhaps. It does not connote violence at all. A more faithful rendering would be along the lines of 'We are the new generation, the future, and will outlast you and officiate at your funeral.' Not as snappy, perhaps, but far less scary.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Pinker book was that, Cool Teacher? 'Language Instinct' or 'Words and Rules'? Can't recall...
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, this whole alphabet is based on many flawed premises. The uppermost being that anglophone children are at a disadvantage because of their spelling system. Utter linguistic-deterministic nonsense. It is along the lines that children, and adults, read phonetically letter by letter. Simply not so, if you are a competent reader in the first place.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Wiki Cool
Font of all wisdom. Wingdings, I mean, not Times New Roman;-)
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along the sames lines of unproven assumption, this gem:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21518574

English makes you poorer, apparently because of its strong 'Future tense'...

I dunno. Professors of Economics making statements about language make me as nervous and sceptical as EFL teachers devising business plans Very Happy
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
I strongly suspect that this quote of Khruschev's was intended literally, not idiomatically Confused .

It means "WE will outlive you!" Wink
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Which Pinker book was that, Cool Teacher? 'Language Instinct' or 'Words and Rules'? Can't recall...

Hmmm...I am not sure. Maybe I said Pinker book on another thread... Confused

Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: