Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the least I should expect to get paid.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dudeteacher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: What's the least I should expect to get paid. Reply with quote

As an experienced native speaker, Journalist, CELTA qualified, 13 years of experience and an ex NATO Journalist/Editor what is the least I should accept from a school.

I realize that expenses differ from city to city but I would like some sort of gauge.

I am thinking not less than 10 000 CNY plus an apt or about 2000 dollars.

Feedback please?

Dude
johntpartee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4800 and an apartment with everything included (water, electricity), airfare reimbursement, travel allowance (1000 or so per semester), all the document stuff paid for (visa, FEC, health check). That's my bottom line, anyway.

This is for government universities.
dudeteacher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johntpartee wrote:
4800 and an apartment with everything included (water, electricity), airfare reimbursement, travel allowance (1000 or so per semester), all the document stuff paid for (visa, FEC, health check). That's my bottom line, anyway.

Can one save on that?
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dudeteacher wrote:
johntpartee wrote:

Can one save on that?

The short answer to your question is yes, but not much. Questions like the one you've asked can never be answered the same for any two people. Why not refer to the thread on Monthly Living Expenses for a bit more info?

Last edited by Javelin of Radiance on Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total
johntpartee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can one save on that?

Yeah, definitely. I wouldn't be here if I couldn't. I make more than 4800, but that's about the least I'll even consider.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: What's the least I should expect to get paid. Reply with quote

dudeteacher wrote:
As an experienced native speaker, Journalist, CELTA qualified, 13 years of experience and an ex NATO Journalist/Editor what is the least I should accept from a school.

I realize that expenses differ from city to city but I would like some sort of gauge.

I am thinking not less than 10 000 CNY plus an apt or about 2000 dollars.

Feedback please?

Dude

more info needed.

will you be teaching your basic oral engrish? if so expect 5000/month plus
housing at a university, average 16 hours per week. or you could go with
a private language school at 10-12000/month without housing, and an
average 25 hours per week. bigger bucks to be had at international schools.

but why limit yourself to oral engrish? why not teach a subject, like, um,
journalism?

sisu has a degree program in bilingual journalism..."the journalism program
in English include such courses as English News Writing and Reporting,
English Feature Writing, English News Editing, Theories of Mass Media and
Media Management, International Communication, History of Western
Journalism and Western Culture, standing for 36 credits...."
Bat_Guano

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught in Xinjiang in a public middle school for ten months (2010-11) at a salary of 4500 RMB per month, plus apartment, utilities paid, visa/FE Cert/ Residence Permit covered, airfare reimbursed at 8000 RMB after contract. That's a pretty low salary as far as I know (not for University jobs, apparently, it's about average), but it was my first teaching job (overseas orotherwise) and I came with a B.A., passport, few years working as a reading tutor at schools in the US as an u/g, not much else. Since my housing and bills were paid for, I spent as little as 1000-1500 yuan on food, cheap beer and even cheaper cigarettes (I really miss my Chinese cigarettes), and saved the rest in the bank. Then again, that was in a small town in the desert where there is very little worth spending money on and the cost of what is there (product, service) are low. It wouldn't go far in Beijing or Shanghai, but starting salaries should be much higher in those places. With your experience I'd think you could do better than 5000 RMB for sure but as far as what is "acceptable" and what you can save on, all that depends on many factors relating to the individual and varies a lot from one to another... so... dunno. Smile

(edit) I am currently teaching in a private school in Indonesia at double the salary I had in Xinjiang, and have an offer on the table for a 40% raise if I will stay another two years (= about 1600 USD after tax per month if I stay). I don't know whether I will take it as I'd like to go back to China or elsewhere for awhile, and I don't really want to stay here another two years. BUT I definitely can't afford to work for $700 USD / month anymore as I've gotten married and have to support my wife and also (partially) her family, plus we are trying for a wee'un Smile (= I have to be more "grown up and responsible" about stuff - ugh Crying or Very sad ) Whether you have dependents and or other obligations would possibly have a lot of bearing on what is an "acceptable" salary too...

Last edited by Bat_Guano on Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my first 18 months in China I taught at middle schools in Anhui.
I was paid 9.000RMb a month for 14 classes a week.
I then taught at a middle school in Nantong for 8.000 a month for 15 classes a week.
Free apartments, airfare reimbursement, etc.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bat_Guano wrote:
It wouldn't go far in Beijing or Shanghai, but starting salaries should be much higher in those places.

I agree with you Bat_Guano, salaries in Beijing and Shanghai should be higher.

Therefore, I was dismayed (but not really surprised) when I looked at the job listings for BLCU and saw the paltry offerings for salaries.

http://www.blcu.edu.cn/blcuweb/english/jobs.asp

Confused

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Bat_Guano

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9000 RMB for 14 hours a week is brilliant, RW. I did 20 forty minute classes per week in Xinjiang to get half of that... brings up a longstanding and still-simmering question (still on-topic, I hope): just how much of a cut do agents / recruiters take on salary in PRC? As in, I was hired through an agent and I'm surmising you were hired directly by the school or local education bureau...? Seems like both the teachers and the schools get a bit screwed when they use agents yeah?
Bat_Guano

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3700-4000 RMB for a teacher with 'an MA TESOL and a few years' experience'...? Shocked

fat_chris wrote:

Therefore, I was dismayed (but not really surprised) when I looked at the job listings for BLCU and saw the paltry offerings for salaries.

http://www.blcu.edu.cn/blcuweb/english/jobs.asp

Confused

Warm regards,
fat_chris
fat_chris

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bat_Guano wrote:
3700-4000 RMB for a teacher with 'an MA TESOL and a few years' experience'...? Shocked

My response exactly.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bat_Guano wrote:
9000 RMB for 14 hours a week is brilliant, RW. I did 20 forty minute classes per week in Xinjiang to get half of that... brings up a longstanding and still-simmering question (still on-topic, I hope): just how much of a cut do agents / recruiters take on salary in PRC? As in, I was hired through an agent and I'm surmising you were hired directly by the school or local education bureau...? Seems like both the teachers and the schools get a bit screwed when they use agents yeah?

For the 9000RMb job I was hired through an agent in Australia.
I later learned that the agents claim of associations with Australian universities was false. I never met anyone from the agency in person.
All communications were done by email or phone.
I never did learn what kind of agreement the agent had with the school.

In general I agree that it is much better to apply directly to schools.
But, for my first job in China I did pretty good going through that bogus agency.
Bat_Guano

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was recruited by an agent who is Chinese but married to an Australian and working out of her husband's law office in Sydney. She spent a few months in China each year managing her "human resources" , trying to finesse /gloss over any problems etc. (yes, there were problems, natch). I came to know her quite well - funny thing that I personally got on well with her and was treated well although some of my fellow FT's would definitely not say the same... anyway, in my town she was working with a VP in the high school who was in custody so to speak of we FT's... this gentleman is without reservation a liar, cheater, swindler, petty criminal and semi-expert manipulator, he stole a month's salary from me on a flimsy pretext at the beginning of my second term and it took three months and a direct visit to the leader of the education bureau by myself with an interpreter to get him to pay it to me... since either this gentleman or the agent were the ones paying us every month, usually in cash, and our salaries went through them after being released by the EB, we will never know for sure what kind of cut was taken or what our salaries actually might have been without**... anywho I'm afraid I'm going a bit off-topic but... yeah.

** They have managed to pretty much chase all the FT's out of the two schools in town at this point, so my opinion is well-shared.
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the least I should expect to get paid. Reply with quote

dudeteacher wrote:

This is going to be different for each person.

Free housing and utilities is pretty important to me. I dont want the hassle or worry of finding my own housing, and I certainly dont want to pay rental deposits etc. Thats the least I accept.

I also wouldnt accept teaching at several locations, or a long commute to work.

Working hours are pretty important. I wouldnt be keen to accept evening or weekend work, and I dont want to accept office hours and unreasonable amounts of other duties either.

Another thing - the least I would accept is to be safe in the knowledge that any meetings I attend are to be conducted in English, and are relevant to me and my position. I wouldnt accept wasting my time by attending meetings conducted mainly in Chinese and that dont have much to do with my role.

If you are new to teaching and / or new to China, it might also be worth noting that the least one should accept would be at least a week of mentoring, being able to observe others, and some kind of training program. Its nice to know if they have materials to teach from or some kind of syllabus too. It would be unacceptable to me to be thrown straight in the day after I arrived.

Of course, I am posting as one of the low earners. But Im also posting as one of the 'deliriously happy in my legal job that pays on time and looks after me exactly as I expect them to' people. Money isnt the only thing to look at in China IMHO .. think whole package and you'll do OK 9 times out of 10. Some jobs that pay low may work out much better overall than jobs that pay high.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: