Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chinese university jobs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecubyrd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: Chinese university jobs Reply with quote

I read through this forum from time to time. It seems that most regular posters here are at a Chinese uni. I get the impression from reading threads that anyone with a pulse can work at one. It seems pretty easy to get a job at one. Am I way off the mark here? Btw, I'm not trying to come across as flippant, just genuinely curious as there will come a time when I get burned out on the 8:30-4 grind and will want something more laid back. That is assuming that the wife and I decide to stay in China more long term when that time comes.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you're not off the mark at all. You have hit the proverbial nail on the head.

Quote:
anyone with a pulse can work at one
GreatApe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, your pulse doesn't even have to be that REGULAR to land an English teaching gig in China.

--GA
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you intend to actually achieve results with your students then you may need more than a pulse but the bar for obtaining and keeping a job at a Chinese U is fairly low.
As a matter of fact I've just re re read an assessment I did on an FT from US and had to tell him that the dialogues in the text were for the STUDENTS to read aloud, not HIM.
That guy would have continued to be employed without difficulty for as long as he chose to stay.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting a job and doing a good job once there are two very different things. Almost anyone can achieve the former. The latter eludes a lot of people.
GreatApe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ 1 to both of the posts above.

I completely agree. As a teacher you have to constantly ask yourself (and assess) whether you're setting the bar too high for your students, or if you are expecting too little from them.

--GA
cormac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing to be aware of (which isn't often mentioned here) is that most universities in china, are... Well.... Rubbish. So getting work in the vast majority of unis is simple. They just want a foreign teacher for the government money they get for having an English major and some foreigners.
It's also worth noting that a lot of universities are in fact colleges. They just advertise and promote themselves as universities. You need to dig a fair bit to find that out if you're outside the country prior to application.

There are other universities which are much harder to get into and require far more work to maintain.

I just spent two years in a college (yes, they told me it was. Uni, and actually gave me the name of the uni down the road during the application process). A technical college with a rather bad reputation amongst employers... Easy job but very frustrating at times once you start caring for your students.
ecubyrd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreatApe wrote:
+ 1 to both of the posts above.

I completely agree. As a teacher you have to constantly ask yourself (and assess) whether you're setting the bar too high for your students, or if you are expecting too little from them.

--GA

Those things mentioned should go without saying, but I'm sure that there are those out there that are doing the bare minimum to get by.

I've got quite a few years to go before I think about going the uni route and requirements/expectations will probably change before then. I'll make sure to continue my development in the meantime.

Thanks to all that have responded.
xiguagua

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Cormac. ANYONE can get a job at A university. Not anyone can get a job at a GOOD university.

There's a lot of universities out there that are just crap, but if you go to a top school or a key provincial school then requirements aren't as low as a pulse.

That being said, I was much happier at my old, crappy university because they treated me wonderfully and my hard work was actually appreciated whereas at my new and better school, no one gives two craps about how hard you work or how good of a job you do. Always underappreciated, even by the students.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xiguagua wrote:
Why do extra work for the school and not be compensated? It's just asking to be taken advantage of.

It doesn't look like he was doing it for the school.

teachingld2004 wrote:
So, the end result is I will teach one 90 minute class a week (free) for a class of students who really love English.

The way I read it the only people benefiting here are the students who love English and the teacher who gets some satisfaction out of helping them.

I got an email from one of my students last term asking me to help her improve her Oral English in my free time. She offered me RMB35 per hour and to do some cooking for me as well. Knowing her family circumstances aren't great (her Mom is the only income earner) I told her to forget about the money (may take up the cooking offer soon tho) and to just join myself and a small group of students who were already meeting once a week. She did, and it's working out well for everyone. I'm not getting paid for this but the students like it, I like it, and no-one's being taken advantage of. Even though I get put through the 16 hour meat grinder every week, I usually don't have trouble making an hour or two for stuff like this.

xiguagua wrote:
I agree with Cormac. ANYONE can get a job at A university. Not anyone can get a job at a GOOD university.

Correct me if I'm mistaken but aren't those good universities in places like Beijing the same ones that sometimes offer ridiculously low salaries because they have no trouble getting ESL teachers who want "Beijing University" somewhere on their r�sum�? Wasn't long ago someone posted a job ad on here from one of those schools offering 3000 a month, in Beijing.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7969 wrote:
Wasn't long ago someone posted a job ad on here from one of those schools offering 3000 a month, in Beijing.

That was me. Last week I posted about jobs at Beijing Language and Culture University (arguably the premier place for foreigners to study Mandarin on the Mainland) with starting salaries of 3,700RMB/month.

No thank you. I'll pass.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=100650

Warm regards,
fat_chris
mcloo7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can some people please post some information on where to find Uni job listings? I've been searching and applying on seriousteachers and echinacities, but haven't seen any Uni jobs listed. Someone once suggested going on Wikipedia to find listings of unis in different provinces and then contacting them directly. I haven't done that yet, but are there any other suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcloo7 wrote:
Can some people please post some information on where to find Uni job listings? I've been searching and applying on seriousteachers and echinacities, but haven't seen any Uni jobs listed. Someone once suggested going on Wikipedia to find listings of unis in different provinces and then contacting them directly. I haven't done that yet, but are there any other suggestions?

Try this one:

Chinatefl
mcloo7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7969 wrote:
mcloo7 wrote:

Try this one:

Chinatefl

Thanks.
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcloo7 wrote:

Sent you a PM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: