Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where are EFL university jobs listed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Imdramayu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Where are EFL university jobs listed Reply with quote

Where are the EFL university jobs listed? Most of the "China Job Board" jobs look like language institutes. Which universrities are hiring and are OK for 1st time in China but with a family, a MA, and more than 15 years EFL experience?

IM
vikeologist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost every University in China will be hiring in September. At least nearly all the ones that offer Foreign Languages.

Most of them should be happy to take on someone with a family and a MA.

The chances of getting a job for next semester are fairly remote. It takes a month to do the paperwork, and the semesters probably start in less than a fortnight. There is obviously a possibility pf getting a job somewhere where a teacher has unexpectedly left, but its very remotet.

Look at www.en.chinatefl.com/TeachinChina/ for a list of Unis.

I'd start applying late March / early April for the Sept starts.
hilena_westb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Where are EFL university jobs listed Reply with quote

Imdramayu wrote:
Where are the EFL university jobs listed? Most of the "China Job Board" jobs look like language institutes. Which universrities are hiring and are OK for 1st time in China but with a family, a MA, and more than 15 years EFL experience?

IM

Universities rarely advertise. You need to do the legwork on your own. They have little issue finding enough interested parties. Many universities will consider your family unappealing, but others will not. Your MA will grant you about 200 RMB more a month, maybe, and your 15 years of experience will not titillate them, nor bump your salary.
mnguy29

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Universities will love to have family teachers. More dependable, less problems and complaints. Basically, they stay home and dont really do much. Personally, I don't understand how someone can come to China with a family and live on 5000 a month!! Must be some other reasons.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good time for direct approaches as the main hiring (for 1 Sept) hasn't started.
Pick a few cities that interest you.
Bring them up on Wikipedia and on the sidebar you'll find an 'Education' link.
Most unis and vocationals will be listed.
Go to the home pages of these schools via Google (the Wikipedia listings are not normally links).
Once on the home page look for 'Foreign Affairs' 'International' or even 'Recruitment' or 'Foreign Experts'.
Turn on the charm but make sure you have at least one lifestyle photo in your portfolio of scanned items.
Don't expect quick responses as admin people are just drifting back from spring break.
Chinese don't see emails as an 'almost phone call' so they normally take a few days to get back to you - if at all. Don't put all your hopes on one school.
Have 3 or 4 conversations going.
vikeologist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non Sequitur wrote:

Turn on the charm but make sure you have at least one lifestyle photo in your portfolio of scanned items.

I've read this term 'lifestyle photo' a couple of times recently. What do you mean?

Also, it might be just a little bit early to start applying for sept jobs. I wouldn't suggest starting to apply until late March at the very earliest.

There is a danger in applying early, in that Unis might think that you're ok, but maybe can get someone better.

If it was a good applicant then obviously we might try to snatch them up straight away, but you know, everybody always wonders if there's someone better around the corner. Even if we like the cut of someone's gib, I doubt we'd even think about making contact until April.

Unis

a) don't know yet if any teachers are leaving (although I must admit at my Uni i got a verbal confirmation from a teacher i wanted to stay at Christmas)

b) haven't decided which teachers they're keeping

c) don't know how many teachers they need for next year.

A lot of Unis leave it till the last possible moment, (or at least May, so that they can get the paperowrk done before going on hols in june).

So, I would suggest waiting another month before starting to apply, and then being patient.
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikeologist wrote:
Non Sequitur wrote:

I've read this term 'lifestyle photo' a couple of times recently. What do you mean?

A moonwalk, freefall para, F1 race car driver. Ya know, the typical stuff Very Happy
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They say that if you look like your passport photo, you are not well enough to travel.
The lifestyle pic is to get away from the limits of the one photo and have you seen perhaps in a social situation. Anything interacting with students is good.
It also reconfirms that you are able-bodied and white.
As to the 'too early' comment this only relates to direct approaches as opposed to reacting to ads.
There is an old marketing adage. 'You can't sell Christmas cards on Boxing Day'.
The only way to extend any selling season is to start earlier.
Again make sure you are talking to multiple potential employers. They don't know how many conversations you have going.
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikeologist wrote:

What it really means is that they want a photo that shows both your body and face to make sure that you are not too fat.

Not nice, but true.
it'snotmyfault

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice wikipedia page with links to all the uni's in China.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_universities_in_China
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it'snotmyfault wrote:
A nice wikipedia page with links to all the uni's in China.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_universities_in_China

A good list. Thanks.
teachingld2004

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: uni jobs Reply with quote

Very good advice is first decide where you want to live. Or rather, maybe where you do not want to live.

You can send resumes now if you like. Maybe a school needs a teacher.

Some universities do not advertise, others do. I signed my contract in April for September.

Some universities like young teachers. Some prefer older teachers. Some do not care.

Campus apartments vary in size. Some are large, some are small. Just because you have a family does not mean you will get more then a one room apartment. It is all a rap shoot.

Sadly to say, as another poster said 15 years experience will not get you more money then some one with 2 years. The MA may get you a drop more rmb, or it may get you a bit more.

In my university every one starts at 6000, the following year salary goes up to 6500, then the next year 7000. That is the top.

Perhaps your wife can work too. University hours are few. We work 12 - 16 hours a week.

Start looking now, it can not hurt. Just resend the resumes again in 3 months.

Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: