Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What can I get with my qualifications?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ben.detw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: What can I get with my qualifications? Reply with quote

Hello,

I have been searching on this forum and would like your help.

I just have a few questions that I hope you can answer. I am an American citizen with an American passport. Here are my qualifications:

-M.ED from State University of New York
-B.B.A from International College in Thailand
-Middle and high school attended in America
-120 Hour in-class TEFL
-3 years teaching experience in Thailand (public school)

Will I be able to get a Z visa with my bachelors degree coming from Thailand even though I have a masters degree from America?

Also, I would love to get into either an international school or a government university that pays reasonably well with a good amount of vacation.

What kind of pay do my credentials get in China?

Thanks,
Ben
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ben,

Are you Thai ? The sad fact is that having a Thai face will hurt you even though you have an American passport and education.

If you are not Thai, then it should be very easy for you to get a job at a university.

Your potential pay varies upon whether or not you look Thai, sorry.

ETA, you posted this in a different thread:
ben.detw wrote:
I am 25 with a BBA and half-way finished with my on-site masters (M.S) Interdisciplinary studies from SUNY Bangkok and a 120-hour on-site TEFL.

You are currently earning your second masters ?

Last edited by rogerwilco on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
ben.detw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I am an Anglo-american who is 6'1 with an athletic build.

No, I am half-way done with my masters degree and am trying to decide which location is best once I have the masters degree finished.

In your opinion, is an international school better than a university gig?

Thanks for your help!
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have a teacher registration (US) and some teaching experience - also US, you would be unlikely to be of interest to an international school.
These schools must pay well as their foreign staff see them as a seamless continuation of their teaching careers.
Below this rarified level, salaries really go with hours worked.
16 to 18 contact hours pw in the public sector gets you say RMB5500 pm plus a range of other perks.
Double those hours in a language school and you will naturally be paid more.
I've tended to go with the public sector over the years and see no point in saving as the exchange rate savages any remittance home.
hilena_westb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First you claim to have a master degree, then you say you haven't completed it; which is it?

Your "qualifications" are meaningless unless you are a licensed teacher in the U.S.; then you can work in an international school and earn thousands of $$ (not RMB) per month.

I have four degrees (double majored B.S., Master, and a professional degree) and it serves little purpose; but I didn't come here for money - I can make that back home.
ecubyrd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hilena_westb wrote:
First you claim to have a master degree, then you say you haven't completed it; which is it?

Your "qualifications" are meaningless unless you are a licensed teacher in the U.S.; then you can work in an international school and earn thousands of $$ (not RMB) per month.

I have four degrees (double majored B.S., Master, and a professional degree) and it serves little purpose; but I didn't come here for money - I can make that back home.

^This. I'm a little confused as well. Here is what you said here:

ben.detw wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I am an Anglo-american who is 6'1 with an athletic build.

No, I am half-way done with my masters degree and am trying to decide which location is best once I have the masters degree finished.

In your opinion, is an international school better than a university gig?

Thanks for your help!

But, didn't you post this over on the Kimchi Job Forums a couple of days ago?

ben.detw wrote:
Ok, I have a few questions that I hope you guys can help me with. I just finished my on-site masters degree from SUNY Bangkok (American university) and completed my bachelors degree at Bangkok University International College. I have 4 years teaching experience at a Thai high school and language center at night. Also, a 120-hour on-site TEFL.

Either way, like a couple of other posters said, you have little chance at an international school without being a certified teacher with relevant experience in that country.
ben.detw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies. I really appreciate the feedback. Sorry for the confusion, but I am just tryin to prospect my chances once I finish my masters degree.

It looks like a stint in the Middle East to get some money will be my best option before heading to china.

The university schedule looks great in China (12-18 hours).

I knew the international school question was a long shot, but nothing ventured nothing tried.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: