Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching at Vocational Schools - High School Level

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SledgeCleaver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Teaching at Vocational Schools - High School Level Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I had an initial phone interview a few days ago that went quite well, so I'm expecting an in-person interview and possibly contract offer from a vocational high school in UAE.

The thing is, the interviewer stressed a few things that made me wonder about the teaching environment. First of all, the interviewer said that "some of the students are below grade level" and that "behavioral problems are often an issue." I used to teach mathematics in Brooklyn, so all of this causes me to think twice. But that's because I was in a situation where all of the students talked constantly, some of the students threw chairs or lit stink bombs, we had unarmed police officers in the hallway and I was calling them in everyday. It was impossible to teach and quite frankly it was so stressful as to induce a mild sort of post-traumatic stress disorder. When I think about re-entering an environment that is anywhere near that bad, I simply think, "absolutely no way, I'm not going to do that again."

Similarly, it was expressed that administrators might not always provide the support that teachers need. I assume this means they might be poor at disciplining students or contacting parents about disciplinary issues. Which of course makes a teacher's job much harder.

However, I'm wondering if I'm overreacting. If the students have a few mild behavioral problems, or if I have to discipline students or run a tight classroom in terms of behavioral management, that's all fine. If they're hellions, then I don't want to take this job.

Basically, I don't want to turn down a good job just because I've had bad experiences in the past. Thus, can anyone advise me about what level of behavioral problems I can expect from high-school students in a vocational school? I will be teaching mathematics in English.

Thanks!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching at Vocational Schools - High School Level Reply with quote

SledgeCleaver wrote:
However, I'm wondering if I'm overreacting. If the students have a few mild behavioral problems, or if I have to discipline students or run a tight classroom in terms of behavioral management, that's all fine. If they're hellions, then I don't want to take this job.

I suspect that you are not over-reacting at all. I will admit here that I am speculating based on other teachers' experiences at this sort of school in the Emirates that have been posted here over the years.

I would expect most or all to be under level... and discipline would be from difficult to a total nightmare. While these kids may not be armed and dangerous, they will be spoiled rotten and demanding... likely with parents to match.

I would only consider a job like this if a trusted person (that I knew pretty well or had worked with in the past) told me that their experience was acceptable/tolerable/OK.

VS
SledgeCleaver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. Actually I looked further down the UAE thread and there was a thread about my potential school - ADVETI. In there it looked like a couple people said it was okay while others said it was corrupt and trashy, too many lies and BS. I'm thinking for a newbie to the Arab world, it's probably not a good find. The money looks very attractive but not attractive enough for me to hate my life if I go.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SledgeCleaver wrote:
I'm thinking for a newbie to the Arab world, it's probably not a good find. The money looks very attractive but not attractive enough for me to hate my life if I go.

This may be a good decision. It is always easier to deal with discipline problems if one is familiar with the culture and how to handle the issues that may come up.

One point in their favor is that they did tell you the problems that may come up so that you could decide if you could handle them.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: