Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have you done private tutoring?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chica88

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Have you done private tutoring? Reply with quote

Has anyone had any luck with private tutoring?

Is it hard to get students?

What is the best way to advertise for tutoring in Chile?
derekchile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: clases particulares Reply with quote

Private Tutoring (clases particulares)

Go for it! I have done it...Just pass your name around the old fashion way... I do them in Valparaiso, I usually put my flyer outside of universities, because students are you best market.....

I charge 5000-6000 pesos per hour, but that is for Valparaiso, the economic situation here is different, sometimes I will even do them for 4000...However in Santiago, you can charge 10,000 and maybe in Las Condes you could charge up 15,000 or 20,000 per hour... waaay more then you would ever make in an institute!

Remember private classes are tough due to no shows! When your student doesnt come neither does the money. I recommend however find an institute and do private tutoring on the side as well to get you to the end of the month. Chile only pays monthy! How I miss bi-weekly pay!

hope this helps good luck!
chica88

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: clases particulares Reply with quote

derekchile wrote:
Private Tutoring (clases particulares)

Go for it! I have done it...Just pass your name around the old fashion way... I do them in Valparaiso, I usually put my flyer outside of universities, because students are you best market.....

I charge 5000-6000 pesos per hour, but that is for Valparaiso, the economic situation here is different, sometimes I will even do them for 4000...However in Santiago, you can charge 10,000 and maybe in Las Condes you could charge up 15,000 or 20,000 per hour... waaay more then you would ever make in an institute!

Remember private classes are tough due to no shows! When your student doesnt come neither does the money. I recommend however find an institute and do private tutoring on the side as well to get you to the end of the month. Chile only pays monthy! How I miss bi-weekly pay!

hope this helps good luck!

Sorry I did not notice your reply sooner...

Do you or do you know anyone who is able to work at private tutoring to pay rent instead of working at a school?
For example, I was wondering if it's possible to work part time at a school which is more 'regular" hours.
Then I could do some private tutoring on the side to make up the difference.
Or...
Do people that do private tutoring only to private?
In general what do you find to be the case?
derekchile

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: private classes Reply with quote

Well to answer your question...yes it is really possible to live off private classes but its more work...and slightly illegal...Because you will be working without a contract in Chile and you wont be able to get a full year visa without a valid work contract. But, if you want to go back and forth to Argentina once everything three months then it could work.....However, I imagine you will want to get an ID card, so shoot for a job with a contract...

I do recommend do private tutoring on the side. Especially in Santiago, you might be able to make a whole weeks pay in two classes with private teaching. In Las Condes you can charge from 10 to 15 to 20 mil pesos an hour! Here in Valpo, I can only charge about 4 to 6 mil pesos an hour. So I totally recommend it.

My only complaint is, that students cancel often with private teaching and when they cancel,,, no money Sad ...So the institutions might be less money but its steady! let me know if you have any more questions! good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: