Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

St Petersburg

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
amisexy



Joined: 24 May 2012
Posts: 72

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: St Petersburg Reply with quote

Hi,

Has anyone got any up to date advice on teaching in St Petersburg?

Lexica are currently advertising for teachers. They offer a monthly salary of 48,000 Roubles (Net), for 18 academic teaching hours per week. Paid holidays and visa costs are also included.
I've seen that the cost of living in lower in SP, but is this a livable wage?

What about others schools such as Language Link and EF?

Thanks Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kidTEFL



Joined: 21 Aug 2012
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

48,000 net is fine. I only take home a little more than that and being a lazy *beep*, I eat out every single day. I live very comfortably. Though, as a slave I don't really have time to enjoy blowing my money as I would like.

Of course, this is with renting a room in a flat not renting your own flat.

They have the whole bollocks agency thing here, so if you want to rent your own flat, you're going to need a big wad before you come.

To rent a 1 room, and yes a 1 room flat not 1 bedroom, will set you back between 15000 - 25000 a month. BUT because of the scumbag agents you will have to pay for the 1st month, last month AND give the agent 1 month for their 'service'

I've never used an agent and I hope never need to.

48,000 net for 18 AH sounds lovely. I'm guessing their AH must be 60 minutes? If it's not, and it's 40/45/50, even better!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Linochka



Joined: 04 Jan 2012
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lang Link starting salary is 30,000 rub + either a provided shared apartment or a stipend of a further 12,000 if you choose to live in your own place.

I'm not so sure the cost of living is hugely cheaper here than Moscow now, but if you know the right places to eat and don't go clothes shopping, it'll be comfortable.

Lexica's offer of 48K for 18 hours a week seems surprisingly cushy for a school! No small print, I hope? If you're careful about finding your accommodation, you'll live quite well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eastside24



Joined: 26 Dec 2012
Posts: 2
Location: Boston, MA

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kidTEFL wrote:


To rent a 1 room, and yes a 1 room flat not 1 bedroom, will set you back between 15000 - 25000 a month. BUT because of the scumbag agents you will have to pay for the 1st month, last month AND give the agent 1 month for their 'service'

I've never used an agent and I hope never need to.



This happens in most big US cities too. Here in Boston, "broker fees" set you back a lot. But they can do it- there is so much demand to live here, we willingly pay the extra $1000, just for the hell of it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ZenAnechoic



Joined: 10 Sep 2012
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kidTEFL wrote:
48,000 net is fine. I only take home a little more than that and being a lazy *beep*, I eat out every single day. I live very comfortably. Though, as a slave I don't really have time to enjoy blowing my money as I would like.

Of course, this is with renting a room in a flat not renting your own flat.

They have the whole bollocks agency thing here, so if you want to rent your own flat, you're going to need a big wad before you come.

To rent a 1 room, and yes a 1 room flat not 1 bedroom, will set you back between 15000 - 25000 a month. BUT because of the scumbag agents you will have to pay for the 1st month, last month AND give the agent 1 month for their 'service'

I've never used an agent and I hope never need to.

48,000 net for 18 AH sounds lovely. I'm guessing their AH must be 60 minutes? If it's not, and it's 40/45/50, even better!


Sounds nice! Also, it is entirely possible to find a place to live for 8000 - 10000. I'm renting a room in a flat in the centre for 10000. Also, it's possible to find a place without having to pay the agent's fee, just do some searching online Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
maruss



Joined: 18 Mar 2003
Posts: 974
Location: Cyprus

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: same problem in Moscow...... Reply with quote

rip-off agents and prices that often bear no relation to the quality of the accom! The demand is so high and the market virtually unregulated that it is a real headache to find an affordable apartment, even more so if you are a foreigner-Unless you are very lucky and have a Russian friend who can negotiate for you, or better still the firm can help. This is why so many Russians share appartments and rent rooms and expect their staff to do the same: in Moscow they very rarely provide single flats for teachers unless they are higher-level staff and the allowance they offer you if you choose to make your own is not enough to cover the rent for even the most basic flat, which is around 30.000 roubles per month-IF you can find one! On top of that you will probably have charges for services such as heating, water, electricity etc. Personally, I made it a condition of accepting the job that I would earn enough to afford to rent a private apartment for myself and would strongly suggest anyone else does likewise. On top of that, good quality food is expensive in Russia, where most of it is imported.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
roywebcafe



Joined: 13 Jan 2006
Posts: 215

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been offered a job with same school. Six week trial period of 18 hrs per week is 8750 rubles (35000 month).

After trial for 24 hrs its 50525 rubles. Still wondering if its enough to live on after food and wondering why previous poster was offered considerably more? 48,000 same amount of work?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
teacher X



Joined: 13 Feb 2013
Posts: 147
Location: Super Sovietsky Apartment Box 918

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roywebcafe wrote:
Still wondering if its enough to live on after food and wondering why previous poster was offered considerably more? 48,000 same amount of work?


Welcome to Russia.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
maruss



Joined: 18 Mar 2003
Posts: 974
Location: Cyprus

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: salaries in St.Petes? Reply with quote

Some costs there are lower than in Moscow, especially rents for flats but then so are salaries. Does the firm include accom. or do you have to find your own? Bear in mind that there are still a lot of 'kommunalnya' in St. Petes. where people share kitchens and w.c's and only have a private bedsit. Conditions in some areas are still much as they were over a century ago-the BBC was even able to film Crime and Punishment there a few years ago because it looked so authentic!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC