Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Part time work available?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rice101

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Part time work available? Reply with quote

Hi all;

Is it difficult to get part time work in Thailand, particularily Bangkok or south near the coast? I finish my 1 year ESL contract in China on May 5th and need to leave for Canada in late June so I have about 2 months. Ive been to Thailand twice and love it. If anyone has hints/tips/leads etc on any of the things below please let me know! Smile

1) Will the government documents take long to get/be difficult? What documents will I need? Are they expensive?
2) Is part time work usually available? Where ?
3) Should I just show up and look for work?
4)Anyone know somebody looking for a teacher during that time?

If any employers read this and are looking for a part time teacher please email me:) I have a 4 year BA, TESOL, 1 year ESL experience, and a CRC (completed about a year ago)

Thanks for reading:)
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a single entry tourist visa (as compared to your 30-day on arrival stamp). YOu get a 60 day entry and can get a further 30 day extension for 2000 baht at your local immigration office. You are effectively good for 90 days without worry and you should find work in BKK.

You'd be less likely to get anything near the coast (too many others trying to do the same thing to wait out the cool weather at home).

If you want "legal" work then you need your original degree, transcripts, passport from one of the "approved" 6 English speaking countries, and you may be asked for a police check.

That said, real schools (k-12) won't even have time to process your paperwork for a non-b before you are heading over the horizon. The vast majority of "agencies" and language academies typically won't stress over your visa or work permit.

For the time you plan to be here, language academy work is most likely.
Show some paperwork (degree, tefl, certificate of previous employment as a teacher) and they will likely give you a trial.

(Dress for the job when you go to your interview. Show up like you just walked off the beach or out of the pub and kiss your chances goodbye. Show up in a button down shirt, black pants, tie and shoes and 3/4 of the battle will be won).

Mid May is the start of school so there should be ample job ads to hit up.

plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
Show up in a button down shirt, black pants, tie and shoes and 3/4 of the battle will be won).

Show up wearing a tie and dress shoes or you can kiss your chances goodbye. The shirt should preferably be white and long sleeved. In Thailand you're dealing with pure superficiality and comformity. "The nail that sticks out gets hammered". Only those lower on the karma totem pole dress plainly.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Thailand 555 Reply with quote

Quote:
Show up wearing a tie and dress shoes or you can kiss your chances goodbye. The shirt should preferably be white and long sleeved.

Quote:
Show up in a button down shirt, black pants, tie and shoes and 3/4 of the battle will be won.

Sage advise indeed, gentlemen. And while I heartily agree with the suggested articles of clothing to be worn, I am somewhat curious about the specification regarding the colors of said items.

Certainly it is common sense to avoid colors such as red, yellow, orange, pink and plaid, but do you really consider wearing, say, forest green trousers and a sky blue shirt especially risky?

How about khaki slacks and a shirt with (gasp!) mauve stripes?

At any rate, I'm sure there will be loads of desperate schools in Thailand wondering why they are unable to recruit/retain good foreign teachers again this year. Little do they realize that they're off teaching in countries where ties aren't required.
Rice101

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys:) Thats much more formal than a Chinese Skype interview haha...

About the 60-day single entry tourist VISA.. can I get that at an immigration office in Bangkok or do I need it before going? If I could avoid a stop in Beijing that would be great..

Does anyone know any popular companies in Bangkok that I could apply to in person? Or mabye a legitimate website I could check out that would have some positions available..

Thanks again for reading and your advice:)
tttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rice101 wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys:) Thats much more formal than a Chinese Skype interview haha...

About the 60-day single entry tourist VISA.. can I get that at an immigration office in Bangkok or do I need it before going? If I could avoid a stop in Beijing that would be great..

Does anyone know any popular companies in Bangkok that I could apply to in person? Or maybe a legitimate website I could check out that would have some positions available..

Thanks again for reading and your advice:)

Get a 60-day tourist visa at a Thai embassy/consulate OUTSIDE of Thailand.

If you don't have it before you arrive then you will get a 30 day stay on entry into Thailand and will have to do a run up to Laos within that 30 days to get an actual 60-day tourist visa.

Google ajarn (Thai for teacher) for more job-sites.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: