Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where do I go from here?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MBA_guy



Joined: 28 Feb 2013
Posts: 4
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Where do I go from here? Reply with quote

I am very interested in teaching in China. I am a 26 year old American and I have both my BBA and my MBA. I have 1 year of teaching experience at the University level in economics, and 4 years experience as a private English language tutor. Will an online 60 hour online TEFL certificate be enough to secure me a job in China?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Denim-Maniac



Joined: 31 Jan 2012
Posts: 1238

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apply for work with what you have already. Experience, plus your passport, plus a BA / Bsc (or equivalent) are enough to land you a job.

I personally think the idea of industry specific training is a must, but Chinese employers and visa regulations dont seem to share my idea. However, a 60 hour online course isnt going to prepare you for anything and is best avoided. Its a waste of money and time ... the time being closer to 10 hours rather than 60 based on my experience.

If you want to do job specific training, CELTA and Trinity are the standard entry level courses. Anything below that is a bit of a waste of time I think. Bottom line for you is you are already qualified for legal work in China.... the training course is the icing on the cake ... but honestly .... avoid a 60 hour online thing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bat_Guano



Joined: 02 Feb 2013
Posts: 25
Location: Medan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Maniac... your US passport is the most important thing, followed by your BBA and MBA and teaching experience. Some schools might still require or ask for a TEFL on top of all that, but many very likely will take you as you are. I was hired to teach in a public school in China in 2010 with just a US passport, BA and some tutoring experience as an undergrad. In my experience it's people who don't have a uni degree who have the most difficulty. (assuming we are talking about native speakers holding passports from the "recognized" countries). Some employers will even offer you TEFL training in-country or pay for your (mostly worthless, as noted) online TEFL course if they want to hire you. I have one of those 60 hour ol certs acquired between my first job in China and my current job in Indonesia. The only thing it has done for me is that my school here wouldn't have been able to get me a legal working visa without it - in the eyes of the government here it constitutes a teaching license, although just by the skin of its teeth. As far as training or actualpreparation for the classroom, yes, it is worthless.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MBA_guy



Joined: 28 Feb 2013
Posts: 4
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both. About 20 minutes after I posted this question, I received a provisional job offer from my current university Shocked. It essentially comes down to traveling with this summers exchange students and teaching English at one of our affiliated universities in China. In return they have offered our university's TESOL certification. So that covers July, now I just need to find something from August on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LarssonCrew



Joined: 06 Jun 2009
Posts: 584

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disagree with Bat somewhat.

Passport is most important.

Second most important is ->

What colour is your skin?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MBA_guy



Joined: 28 Feb 2013
Posts: 4
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems there, I'm White.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JZer



Joined: 16 Jan 2005
Posts: 3824
Location: Alaska

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denim-Maniac wrote:
Apply for work with what you have already. Experience, plus your passport, plus a BA / Bsc (or equivalent) are enough to land you a job.

I personally think the idea of industry specific training is a must, but Chinese employers and visa regulations dont seem to share my idea. However, a 60 hour online course isnt going to prepare you for anything and is best avoided. Its a waste of money and time ... the time being closer to 10 hours rather than 60 based on my experience.

If you want to do job specific training, CELTA and Trinity are the standard entry level courses. Anything below that is a bit of a waste of time I think. Bottom line for you is you are already qualified for legal work in China.... the training course is the icing on the cake ... but honestly .... avoid a 60 hour online thing.


Like most jobs in life you learn on the job. In some professions there is quite some disconnect with what you learn in class and what leads to success on the job.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johntpartee



Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 3232

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No problems there, I'm White


Quote:
now I just need to find something from August on


You'll be here. Show up at a school and bring your face. You're in.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GreatApe



Joined: 11 Apr 2012
Posts: 422
Location: South of Heaven and East of Nowhere

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BA, MBA, teaching cert., White skin, Native-speaker ... check, check, check, CHECK!, CHECK!

You are highly employable ... the sky's the limit! Now be sure to remember the wax in your wings, and don't fly too close to the sun! Laughing

GOOD LUCK! (and ENJOY!).

--GA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fat_chris



Joined: 10 Sep 2003
Posts: 3135

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MBA_guy wrote:
Thank you both. About 20 minutes after I posted this question, I received a provisional job offer from my current university Shocked. It essentially comes down to traveling with this summers exchange students and teaching English at one of our affiliated universities in China. In return they have offered our university's TESOL certification. So that covers July, now I just need to find something from August on.


That sounds like it could be decent. Hope it all works out for you.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC