Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1k per month realistic?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JZer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Solar Strength wrote:
Mark,

Where in Tokyo are you living? It seems to me that you'd be better off living and working in Tokyo as a free-lancer.

I say this because if that's the idea for you in Taipei - working at various schools - then Tokyo would have much more work since it's so much bigger.

You'd also probably earn more money. I know that some people are earning 400,000 - 500,000 Yen a month free-lancing as part-time university teachers, high schools, conversation schools and then corporate classes in the evening.

I'm sure you know the score, since you're there already. But that's my take on it. Not that Taipei is a bad place to be located and teaching. For sure there are worse places to be.

I lived in Japan for 8 years (back in Canada now) so I was looking for a change, and I'd like to try my hand at learning Chinese. I just have this rule about sending 1k back home every month. I'm paying off some debt, so I need to keep that up for a the next year or two.

You're right, though, that financially I'd be a lot better off in Tokyo. Sending 1k home a month was never a problem. It's pretty easy to work your way into making 400,000 or 500,000 a month. 200,000 or 250,000 for monthly expenses, and the rest is savings.

I have some good connections in Taiwan, so I imagine I'd work myself into a decent situation, but the money situation seems to be not quite as good as I had hoped.

Taipei is not that big of a city. Not to mention that many people earn 20,000-40,000NT a month, so they don't have a lot of money to spend on private English classes.

Another factor is that many Taiwanese are doing business in China, so that reduces their need to speak English.
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Solar Strength wrote:
Mark,

Where in Tokyo are you living? It seems to me that you'd be better off living and working in Tokyo as a free-lancer.

I say this because if that's the idea for you in Taipei - working at various schools - then Tokyo would have much more work since it's so much bigger.

You'd also probably earn more money. I know that some people are earning 400,000 - 500,000 Yen a month free-lancing as part-time university teachers, high schools, conversation schools and then corporate classes in the evening.

I'm sure you know the score, since you're there already. But that's my take on it. Not that Taipei is a bad place to be located and teaching. For sure there are worse places to be.

I lived in Japan for 8 years (back in Canada now) so I was looking for a change, and I'd like to try my hand at learning Chinese. I just have this rule about sending 1k back home every month. I'm paying off some debt, so I need to keep that up for a the next year or two.

You're right, though, that financially I'd be a lot better off in Tokyo. Sending 1k home a month was never a problem. It's pretty easy to work your way into making 400,000 or 500,000 a month. 200,000 or 250,000 for monthly expenses, and the rest is savings.

I have some good connections in Taiwan, so I imagine I'd work myself into a decent situation, but the money situation seems to be not quite as good as I had hoped.

Good. I'm sure you'll enjoy Taipei for at least a couple of years. I visit once or twice a year to see friends.

Taipei is coming along but still quite gritty and chaotic compared to a place like Tokyo. Good subway system for moving around the city, if you don't drive or ride a scooter.

But, I notice more Taiwanese are now riding those orange city bicycles that are parked outside university campuses and in front of subway stations. So if your schools are in those areas, you could also just ride a bicycle to work.
Taiwanease Guy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solar Strength wrote:
I notice more Taiwanese are now riding those orange city bicycles that are parked outside university campuses and in front of subway stations. So if your schools are in those areas, you could also just ride a bicycle to work.

Ah, you mean the YouBike system. Yeah, it's really taking getting popular. I started uploading all the YouBike locations to the Taiwanease Directory, and there are more and more all the time. This is a really good direction for a modern city to go, I think. I just wish the bikes were a little bigger! Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: