Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Henan Province Univeristy Questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeijingBill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Henan Province Univeristy Questions Reply with quote

Any thoughts on Zhengzhou University, or Chenggong University?
johntpartee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard good things about Zhengzhou University.
BeijingBill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine told me that "Henan has the best noodles in China" Is this true? Also, I heard there are many expats in the surrounding Zhengzhou areas?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeijingBill wrote:
A friend of mine told me that "Henan has the best noodles in China" Is this true? Also, I heard there are many expats in the surrounding Zhengzhou areas?

The best noodles in China aren't found in any one place, they're everywhere. Usually, but not always, the shops run by migrants from the west of China serve up the best freshly made noodles. You can find these people and their noodle shops in every province and major city. Last time I had them the noodles were great but I got shorted on the beef I expected to find inside the bowl as well. I complained to no avail and told the guy I wouldn't be back. So far I haven't.

Here's another Henan thing you'll probably hear: "Henan is full of cheaters." Your friend isn't a Henan native by any chance, is he?
johntpartee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, I heard there are many expats in the surrounding Zhengzhou areas?

Not when I was there (2008-2011).
rioux

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am teaching at Chenggong College. What would you like to know?
BeijingBill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything would be helpful
rioux

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just list a few things and if you want any more information just let me know.

1. It's about about an hour and twenty minutes to Zhengzhou. They do have a KFC here but I wouldn't eat there. I did once or twice and that was enough.

2. To get to downtown Gongyi you can take bus #11 or bus #7.
Bus #11 stops right in front of the campus and it takes about 20 minutes to downtown. Bus #7 will get you there in less than 10 minutes but it is a further walk (about 5-10 minutes more) to where the nearest stop is.

3. The students are great. About 70 to 80 percent of them are females.

4. I think if you are a first year teacher you will teach all freshman classes - perhaps 1 sophomore class.

5. There are 18 teaching hours a week. Classes are held 8:10am to 10am, 10:15am to 12pm and 2:10pm to 4pm. One of those blocks consist of two of the same class.

6. The apartments are very spacious. Two bedrooms with a bed in each bedroom, refrigerator, a/c, microwave, washing machine, internet connection, telephone, free large bottled water, free electricity.
There are two apartment buildings for the foreign staff. Each building has 6 floors - 2 apartments per floor.

7. Based on my experience I get along with the higher ups. They're cool with me.

8. Quiet city here. It's not for everyone. From what other teachers have told me it is rather difficult finding a girlfriend here in Gong-yi. It seems virtually all of them can probably say just a few (as in very few) words or expressions in English. Not a problem for me since I am married.

9. The PA system is loud (for me anyway). It goes off every morning at about 6:15am then shuts off at about 6:45am or so. 7am it comes back on until 7:30am. Noon is the same thing for about half an hour. Then again at about 5pm to 6pm.
As I recall I think it was turned off for the most part on the weekends.

10. I did find a bakery that sells garlic bread and one of the supermarkets (G Holly?) has just started selling spaghetti and tomato sauce as well as a few breakfast cereals.

I doubt if I will stay another year because:
1. God willing my wife and daughter will probably be joining me in about June or July and this place is too remote for us. It's not bad for me being by myself this year but with the three of us I think it would perhaps be better to look somewhere else.
2. My wife is from the Philippines and I think the cold weather here would be too much for her to bear. Whereas I am sweating at 80F (26C) she feels cold at 72F (22C).
So perhaps a warmer climate would be better for us.....well really for her but hey that's part of being married I guess!
BeijingBill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Rioux. Just out of curiosity, what is wrong with the KFC?
johntpartee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The food at the KFC I went to in Zhengzhou was not very good, everything had kind of a "fishy" undertaste. Same thing in Hong Kong. I've been to a couple of places in China where the Colonel was okay, but I'm not a huge fan of the place.
rioux

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah just the taste wasn't good. To each his own I guess. Some people may like it. I know many of the Chinese people here in Gongyi do. The place is pretty busy.
revenger2013

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught in two smallish cities in Henan. I quite liked it (on reflection) but it will depend on how much you need western comforts, I would say Zhengzhou would cater for those better than the places I were in.

The students were great mostly, I was left alone most of the time, as anyone who has lived in China knows, there are niggling annoyances and sometimes you will have those 'I hate China' moods but the winters were mild and the summers were very nice in comparisons to more humid climes further south.

The Uighur restaurants are where you will not only get the best noodles but the tastiest food in the whole of China in my opinion. There are KFC places everywhere and of course Dico's which I found a decent alternative to KFC. Doing my MA TEFL here in the UK but really looking forward to going back. Very Happy

Henan people do have a 'reputation' in China but I found them to be quite honest. I found my Henan students to have strong views on the good people of Shanghai amongst others.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7969 wrote:
The best noodles in China aren't found in any one place, they're everywhere. Usually, but not always, the shops run by migrants from the west of China serve up the best freshly made noodles. You can find these people and their noodle shops in every province and major city.

These places are everywhere--the original Chinese "fast food chain". 兰州拉面! Ubiquitous indeed! Here in the 'du one needn't walk very far before sighting one. Agreed, the food at these places is usually decent.

7969 wrote:
Last time I had them the noodles were great but I got shorted on the beef I expected to find inside the bowl as well.

Where's the beef!

Warm regards,
fat_chris
choudoufu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7969 wrote:
BeijingBill wrote:

The best noodles in China aren't found in any one place, they're everywhere. Usually, but not always, the shops run by migrants from the west of China serve up the best freshly made noodles. You can find these people and their noodle shops in every province and major city....

not just in china.........i found authentic lanzhou noodle shops in myanmar
and singapore and thailand and malaysia, and most recently in a tiny
village in cambodia.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must go there sometime . . . Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: