Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Really not having much luck .......
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Augustus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Really not having much luck ....... Reply with quote

I went to an interview for a CELTA at Wigan and Leigh College last week and from the moment I arrived thought this place isnt for me! The staff talked (read bitched) about other staff members throughout our assessment making it really difficult to concentrate. They want a commitment of 2 full days a week as its a part-time course (Tues/Thurs) + homework and were quite snotty that nothing should get in the way of your "course commitment" but were thoroughly disorganised in everything they did ...

I figured well I have two more applications in anyway and they were my favoured venues anyway. However, Bolton have just emailed saying they have filled the course - would I like to be considered for the 2014 intake?!? This is despite the fact that I submitted my task several weeks ago and havent had an interview etc with them. So I am now depending on Blackburn College .......... How can this be so damm hard work? I didnt have this hassle when I applied to do my degree!

Anyway, I am now going to go through my Blackburn College application with a fine tooth comb and hope for the best as I cant do a cram course and there is a serious lack of places to go it seems........

Aug
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you do the CELTA almost entirely by distance study nowadays? Would certainly beat studying at a place that sounds so unprofessional! (I'm surprised the interview wasn't conducted in a nice quiet private room. It sounds like you had to make do with a corner of the staffroom or something!).
Augustus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluffyhamster wrote:
Can't you do the CELTA almost entirely by distance study nowadays? Would certainly beat studying at a place that sounds so unprofessional! (I'm surprised the interview wasn't conducted in a nice quiet private room. It sounds like you had to make do with a corner of the staffroom or something!).

The interview was in private but the assessment was in a classroom - the two women had a proper bitch about a women called Michelle and their criticism about their class planning.
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC my CELTA interviewer waited for me to complete the assessment part of the interview (though she may've left the room at some point to do something else quickly). I wasn't asked to go to a different, and certainly not a noisier, room. But then, it was quite a large school~training center, so space wasn't at too much of a premium!
Augustus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to top it off .... They have decided not too offer me a place on their course. I feel thoroughly insulted!
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't take it too personally. I guess there are more and more (read: too many) people entering ELT to escape the recession (even as salaries stagnate or indeed fall in ELT), so there won't always be enough places available now on these courses. They probably draw a lot of the "winners" out of a hat!
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Fluffy (who I so want to call "fuffie" - Italian equivalent of "fluffy" but so much cuter!) Don't get too disheartened. Really, if everyone took it as seriously as you do, the ELT world would be a better place.

You ask lots of questions, you put yourself out there, you want to find out stuff. If I was a DOS (and alas I'm not) I would hire you in a heartbeat.

Go on, apply to Liverpool. It's a fantastic city as you probably already know. Not dissing Wigan, but I know where I'd rather be.

You could even put in your application that you've been doing all your research, and point them to your threads here. I'm going to sound a bit old and boring, but having that curiosity and desire to learn is one of the best signs there is that someone is truly keen on the subject. And I'm going to say it, but a teacher who's always eager to learn is a damn fine teacher.

You go Augustus!
Augustus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I know where I would rather be but the course running there starts earlier than the one in Liverpool.
Aug
Archie Rice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you dodged a bullet there. Doing the CELTA is tough, your course teachers should be there to support you throughout, and provide role models for how to teach. If they're grim chaps then its going to be a grim 6 months.
VietCanada

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between this board and people I've run into who talk about it, I hear far, far more negativity about the attitudes of the people who who work those classes than I would think natural. I'd avoid CELTA and DELTA like the plague. Few countries legally require it and those who do will likely ask for your teaching experience post course.
Archie Rice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strongly disagree with the above post. CELTA is a very good course that prepares you for a career in teaching. The actual teaching time of the course is invaluable.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archie's revived an outdated post. Augustus is now midway through her CELTA and her current thread on the topic doesn't exactly make out her instructors to be monsters Rolling Eyes
I'd personally be pretty wary of giving much credence to someone who hasn't taken CELTA or DELTA, but who consistently reports negative second-hand info.

Quote:
Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:42 pm Post subject: Grammar analysis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello!

I'm well into my CELTA course now and really enjoying it, although I am massively busy and am not managing to get much extra work done apart from assignments + teaching prep.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=100435&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Quote:
Doing the CELTA is tough, your course teachers should be there to support you throughout, and provide role models for how to teach. If they're grim chaps then its going to be a grim 6 months.

I've never heard of a 6-month CELTA. Did you mean DELTA?

Quote:
I'd avoid CELTA and DELTA like the plague. Few countries legally require it and those who do will likely ask for your teaching experience post course.

One can get away without recognized qualifications so long as he/she is content to remain at the bottom of the job market barrel. It's not about what a country legally requires to get a visa; it's about what the better employers with the better jobs will expect.

And, as those of us who have been around longer (and who have moved beyond entry-level jobs), experience without training counts for little in the big picture, because no-one can say whether you've done the job well or not, simply because you've done it.
Archie Rice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the CELTA part time for 6 months. It's the alternative to the one month intensive. I got a lot more out of the CELTA than just a certificate that benefits job seeking. I had great teachers and it was a great introduction to teaching English as a career. I'm sure you can 'get away' without it, I've worked with people who did, but teaching is a skilled profession and you should be prepared to do a little formal studying prior to taking people's money, in my opinion at least.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes, Archie- I'd forgot that CELTA now comes in the much-extended version. Thanks for the clarification.
vabeckele

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: My fears and aspirations Reply with quote

About the CELTA, I have had a few friends do it and have really negative things to say about it; one of these had a PhD in languages got a pass A and said if he had known before hand about the structure and the nature of the trainers of the course he would have never have done it.

I have another friend, a graduate of Cambridge, and got the very same CELTA cert. from the same city remark the trainers and course were top notch.

Being a Brit, I know of the elitist and pedantic attitude of many in the education industry and it just puts my back up (especially when they reveal themselves to be incompetent). My only hope is that the Americans can somehow begin to shave some of that CELTA prestige away. I would love to do a 4 week course and learn all about methodology and language systems and such, but I would like to do it in an environment that I can trust being SUPPORTIVE.

I find it incomprehensible I have managed to get through seven years of education at tertiary level, but the CELTA course terrifies me. If I knew of an American, Australian, or Canadian provider that could provide the same marketable cert, I would be on it in a flash. However, if I had the money, I would probably go to Cambridge and do it. Sadly, I neither have the time or the money to do it.

I am, reading Scrivener and Harmer right now and they seem to be well written and of great help, but when I got the 'Celta course' book I seemed to 'switch off'.

My weakness, even before my master's (unrelated) is and was, grammar. After a couple of years or so of continuous teaching I know I must begin to master at least the rudiments of speech and grammar to be able to, not just walk into a class and pretend because I use the latest communicative methods, I know all there is to know about the English language, as I surely do not (some of the grammarians on here terrify me! Sasha, being one of them, Fluffy, another) - I know so much more about my second language's grammar than I do of my own (that's not too advanced either)!

Then, of course, there is my age, 41 this year, the UK institutions will not accept any of my experience before the completion of the CELTA course. I find it pretty insulting my experiences in China, Finland, and Vietnam can be just written off. These experiences have covered over 10 years (albeit most of it non-teaching related).

I will probably end up taking it anyway, there is only so much I can do at home with limited materials and Google. And, the other providers do not seem to be able to hold a candle to the CELTA just yet, but I get the feeling it is coming.

Augustus - you have done yourself proud! You are an inspiration for others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: