Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coming on Tourist Visa (How to not get caught)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hagiwaramai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitarou wrote:
hagiwaramai wrote:
However in typical Japanese style there is completely contradictory information given by their own embassies.
I see. Not so much a grey area as total administrative incompetence.

My guess is that the advice about not entering with a CoE was accurate in the days when you couldn't change your visa from within Japan. These days it's perfectly acceptable to come to Japan with a job lined up, and complete your visa application after you arrive in Japan. For what it's worth, I was told this by the immigration bureau in Chiba.
I believe you. The problem is is that like a lot of things with Immigration it just depends on who you get on the day. It's still down to immigration at Narita to let you in, whether you have a visa or C of E or whatever, and they might be stricter because they'd be the ones actually letting someone into the country and potentially engaging in illegal activity as opposed to the people simply making a "tourist" more official. I'd like to know if this is actually written down anywhere or it's just something Immigration decided to start doing of their own accord. Is it official or just the general policy at Immigration now? The MoFa website doesn7t seem to have been updated in years, you just hear about changes by word of mouth.. it's madness.
JoeKing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In August 2010 I was flying from Seoul to Bkk for a week, and then from there home to Florida. The thing is, I did not have the ticket for the Florida leg of the trip in hand yet, as I was waiting for my wife(now ex) to make the reservation for me with her airline connections( damn I miss that), and email it to me in Thailand. I did not think twice about not having an onward ticket because in my mind it was a done deal.

Anyway, I can not remember the airline I used to BKK, but they initially were not going to let me board without an RT or onward ticket. Finally, after about ten minutes of pleading my case they let me on, but only after having me sign a waiver releasing them of any responsibility in the case Thailand refused to let me in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: