Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadian tax and teacher certification

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Imdramayu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Canadian tax and teacher certification Reply with quote

Would completing a BEd and becoming a certified schoolteacher in Canada make me a resident (and have to pay Canadian taxes)?

Currently, I'm a non-resident Canadian who's lived overseas for a long time.

To avoid this, how about getting certified in the US? Can US teacher certification be easily transferred to Canada (later on)?

Also, can a Canadian easily study in a teacher certification program in the US?

IM

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian tax and teacher certification Reply with quote

Imdramayu wrote:
Currently, I'm a non-resident Canadian who's lived overseas for a long time.

Not sure if you know this so I'll ask as it's a common misconception: Are you officially non-resident for tax purposes, meaning did you complete and submit Form NR-73 to CRA and did they approve your non-residency status? Or are you just a Canadian who's lived abroad for a long time and is only "non-resident" by virtue of not being physically present in the country? The two are not the same.

If it's the former then returning to Canada to live and study would mean re-establishing the very ties you had to cut to be deemed non-resident in the first place, and I think this would spell the end of your non-resident status. Check with CRA to be sure in any case.

If the latter, then just come on back and do what you need to do. There should be no major repercussions to returning to Canada after an extended period abroad other than minor things like a three month waiting period (Ontario for example) for your health care benefits to kick in again and a few other such issues.
Imdramayu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Non-resident Reply with quote

Hi...I did complete the NR73 and got a CRA's letter declaring me a non-resident. Can the CRA be asked about this b/c? I wonder if it is better to re-tie and then un-tie again?

BDB

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you mean. Are you saying you'd like to come back home, declare yourself a resident again, go to work, study, pay taxes, etc, and then when you leave Canada next time, apply for non-residency again?

Or are you suggesting coming back and living and working in Canada while remaining a non-resident (avoiding official ties), then leaving with your non-residency status still intact from the first time out?
Imdramayu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first choice sounds more legal (declaring oneself a resident) than the 2nd (trying to remain a non-resident while working).

Actually, I don't want to work. I just want to get certification in Canada so that I can teach overseas. I'd only be in Canada to study the BEd. But would the studying and certification itself make ma a resident (or deemed resident)?

BDB

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first choice seems to be the legal one, the second one probably not. I don't work for CRA so I won't say for certain.

When you applied for non-residency status you had to fill in the form and check off all the ties you will or will not maintain in Canada while you're away. Coming back even just to study means re-establishing at least a few of these ties - You're going to have an address, probably a bank card and a health card, maybe a driver's license. That could be enough to disqualify you. But CRA decides these on a case by case basis so I can't tell you if you'll be deemed one or the other, so you'll have to consult them at some point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: