Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sopot...and suggestions?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Sopot...and suggestions? Reply with quote

Off to Sopot with the missus soon...any suggestions? Cyrano et Roxane is highly recommended.

Just for those who quibble about prices...6 nights costs 2,500zl...and that's renting a nice flat.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth pointing out that Sopot has the most expensive real estate in the country at a time when people want to be there. Of course it's expensive.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Well you don't want to go to Sopot in December Delph as it's minus 5 in the day time. People go to the beach in summer in Europe. You just have to take a contrary approach every time. I could have doubled the spend at the Sheraton. There are rooms to rent with cruddy facilities but that ain't for me. Then we have to get there, which will cost.

So all those guys/gals who have been told that 3-4k a month is fine and that the possibilities of travel are endless, please take note.

The skiing/ski hire etc is slightly cheaper but obviously it's much cheaper if you go in the summer when there is no snow Delph.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Sopot...and suggestions? Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Off to Sopot with the missus soon...any suggestions? Cyrano et Roxane is highly recommended.

The Language Pub is a good place to meet expats.

I'd recommend going up the coast a bit to Chałupy or further to Leba for nice beaches and more beautiful scenery. The beaches near Sopot aren't especially clean.

[/list]
ecocks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sopot...and suggestions? Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
dragonpiwo wrote:

The Language Pub is a good place to meet expats.

I'd recommend going up the coast a bit to Chałupy or further to Leba for nice beaches and more beautiful scenery. The beaches near Sopot aren't especially clean.

[/list]

My take as well. Compared to the beaches I have seen and lived near in the past these are a bit "rough". Not bad but hardly a world-class vacation spot. A buddy is over on the northern shore area so I am looking forward to the report on their facilities in the next couple of weeks.

Solpot in January is still rocking for those looking for a good weekend trip to relax. The pubs are crowded and plenty of people moving around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: taa Reply with quote

Thanks for that...I'll check it out. We have a car , so we can get about.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: and.... Reply with quote

I'll avoid 'The Language Pub' like the plague. Smile
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Well you don't want to go to Sopot in December Delph as it's minus 5 in the day time. People go to the beach in summer in Europe.

Which is why I go to Croatia instead, as the weather is usually better and it's far less crowded/packed with idiots than the Baltic coast. Not to mention that the German tourists are happy to pay high prices. Whereas for that money, you can go to Croatia and actually relax.

I'm probably going to go to Slovenia on holidays. I've had a quick look and for 2400zl, you can rent a beautiful house for a week in a beautiful location. Why would I want to go to some crappy hostelik in Sopot for that price when I can have that?

Quote:
You just have to take a contrary approach every time. I could have doubled the spend at the Sheraton. There are rooms to rent with cruddy facilities but that ain't for me. Then we have to get there, which will cost.

Well yes, when you're attempting to use a city with the most expensive real estate in Poland as justification that "Poland is expensive", people will tend to take a contradictory line.

Sopot is overpriced, overhyped and total rubbish. It's a grand place for a party, but anyone looking for a holiday could go to a million and one better places.

Quote:
So all those guys/gals who have been told that 3-4k a month is fine and that the possibilities of travel are endless, please take note.

I think most people expecting to earn that know better than to try and go to Sopot in the middle of summer. It's no different to someone on an average wage attempting to go to Edinburgh during the Festival and attempting to stay in somewhere relatively nice - ie, pretty unaffordable.

For what it's worth, I've never even bothered going to the Baltic coast. It's not worth the money, you can get fully equipped apartments in Dalmatia for 40 euro a night in the middle of summer - why would anyone bother going to the Baltic coast with the hordes of stupidity?
dynow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

delphian-domine wrote:

Quote:
It's a grand place for a party, but anyone looking for a holiday could go to a million and one better places.

yep. i'd say that pretty much sums up Poland in general. glad you're starting to finally see the light.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dynow wrote:
delphian-domine wrote:

Quote:
It's a grand place for a party, but anyone looking for a holiday could go to a million and one better places.

yep. i'd say that pretty much sums up Poland in general. glad you're starting to finally see the light.

I hardly think that one place in Poland being overpriced and rubbish makes the entire country like that.

For what it's worth, one reason for the high price of the Polish seaside is that there are many stuck-in-their-ways traditionalists who simply wouldn't dream of going to Croatia or similar on holiday. They're used to their two weeks by the Baltic and thus there's a captive market for hotels/etc.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

It's where the missus wants to go, I wanted Cuba or Cape Town. Alas, they will have to wait.

So Delph is now waxing lyrical about a place he's never been to?-class! The rented apartment is very nice...not unlike the one I have in Poznan but minus the pool. No doubt, we'll find some quiet spots in the environs.

Chartered a yacht for sonny in Croatia last year. Very nice.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

Quote:
So Delph is now waxing lyrical about a place he's never been to?-class! The rented apartment is very nice...not unlike the one I have in Poznan but minus the pool. No doubt, we'll find some quiet spots in the environs.

I've been there, just not in the middle of summer. Didn't think much of it, and don't see much reason to ever go back. If I want inane nightlife and kitsch entertainment, there's plenty of that to be found in Poznan.

Quote:
Chartered a yacht for sonny in Croatia last year. Very nice.

Very common among young Poles, especially university students. Sailing seems to be in the Polish blood.

Problem with sailing in Croatia is the sheer number of yachts.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with delph on Sopot not being all it's cracked up to be. Too ritzy, overpriced and the people are often image-conscious wankers.

You ought to educate your missus, dragonpiwo.

Gdansk is better for parties anyway. I'm spending a few days there now after teaching a summer camp near Kolobrzeg.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

She likes the place...what can I say? Shes' got a Masters and has done a fair amount of travelling, so I hardly need to educate her. Maybe she went there as a kid and has some attachment to the place. The flat's really nice anyway and we are mobile, so there's a strong probability we won't spend much time there. My suggestions didn't include Poland at all since the country is hardly a 'tourist destination' in my book and there are much better places to go for the money we will undoubtedly spend. That said, 2 different groups of my British expat friends spent last week in Sopot and had a roaring time there. I go with an open mind...sort of Wink.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
I'm with delph on Sopot not being all it's cracked up to be. Too ritzy, overpriced and the people are often image-conscious wankers.

And to add to it - the place itself is ugly. Given the choice between Sopot and any number of nice Balkan towns, the choice is simple.

[quote=dragonpiwo]since the country is hardly a 'tourist destination' in my book [/quote]

There are many decent tourist places in Poland, just that Sopot isn't one of them.

Karpacz in winter is probably my favourite, however.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: