Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working on a Business Plan - Employees

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecocks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Working on a Business Plan - Employees Reply with quote

If....IF....IF...I elect to go with this small classroom location and hire someone as in teacher, I am wondering about the thoughts of others on the ins and outs of the hire or contract decision.

What things did you see in the direct-hire with visa support contracts (assuming that they will be delivered as agreed) that you liked, didn't like or would have wished to have seen?

Can we design or, at least, discuss without rancor, the [near-]perfect contract for hire?

I'll start....

For discussion's sake, let's assume the position would be for someone (Aus/NZ/Am/Can/UK) with 1-2 years of FT experience teaching in a foreign country, preferably Eastern Europe, a CELTA/TEFL or better qualification, assistance with finding accommodations, but no apartment provided. Work and residence permits would be included (probably by hiring a lawyer to get it done), ZUS, NIP, everything 100% legal. The teaching would be a mix of regular set classes using one of the standard leveled book sets and maybe 30-40% one-on-ones.

Or, should the apartment be provided? I hate people picking where I will live but maybe that is "better" somehow? There is also the point about roomies. In Kyiv, there were a couple of large schools with a dozen or more teachers which had set up apartments with private bedrooms and shared kitchens (one had 5-6 people in the old-style communalka but it seemed that people always complained, there were apartment service headaches and locations were what the school thought was perfect, not the individual. Privacy was suspect and there were always concerns about forced roomie situations.

What about insurance? A base emergency policy? A total package? What is "Fair" yet allows the business to stay in operation?

110 contact teaching and travel hours a month sound right? Too much? Too little? Travel would be in the event of a requirement to go to a different location for a class. I operate on 60 minute hours but almost always do 85-90 minute lessons.

A contract provision against doing privates? Again, assume honest people and business who will adhere to the contract they agree to.

How about vacation? I like 2 weeks in summer to be scheduled a minimum of one month in advance, other holidays per Polish calendar and one week shut down for the Easter period and 10 days at Christmas/New Year?

The wonderful question, what pay? I'll throw out first year's net of 3000 as a starting point for the job as described. That would be pay for the second tier cities, not Warsaw. Pay 5 working days after submission of the previous month's paperwork (attendance, diplomas, observations, etc.).

Misc:

Actual travel cost to Poland reimbursed up to a maximum of 1500 zl payable at end of contract.

Exit prior to contract end, forfeiture of travel allowance.

Straight Contracted:

Just contracted on a per hour basis, in a second-tier city, I am thinking 80 zl per teaching hour with agreed upon credit for travel time anywhere other than the classroom. Paid as above, 5 working days after the paperwork is received. You bail without 2 weeks notice there is a penalty of 150 zl per class affected (taken from your pay due) and it's agreed that the customer base belongs to the company for a minimum of 6 months after completion of employment, but of course you do your own students that you source from elsewhere. Other issues, no work, no pay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Infinite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to sound harsh, but once you answer all of these questions yourself... you'll know the answer Wink...
It all depends on what you're trying to REALLY do and in what direction are you trying to take this idea. All of these questions pertain directly to you and your ideas.

Honesty, it sounds like what you need, is a visit to a good accountant.
ecocks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except that I am not asking what is particularly best for the owner but am looking for opinions and feedback from teachers who would have to decide which way to work. There is another thread where this developed a bit along the lines of which method is more attractive to potential teachers.

An accountant is not going to have a clue about the realities of working as a teacher in Poland, only the tax structure and, perhaps, some of the ins and outs of the laws.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Infinite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecocks wrote:
Except that I am not asking what is particularly best for the owner but am looking for opinions and feedback from teachers who would have to decide which way to work. There is another thread where this developed a bit along the lines of which method is more attractive to potential teachers.

An accountant is not going to have a clue about the realities of working as a teacher in Poland, only the tax structure and, perhaps, some of the ins and outs of the laws.

Given that most teachers who work for private schools have a "dzialanosc' and a large portion of them use accountants, I'm pretty sure you could find one that would be of great benefit to your cause.
ecocks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infinite wrote:
ecocks wrote:

Given that most teachers who work for private schools have a "dzialanosc' and a large portion of them use accountants, I'm pretty sure you could find one that would be of great benefit to your cause.

OKay, you obviously don't get the question.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: