Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CHallenges

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecocks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: CHallenges Reply with quote

Anyone have any suggestions on obtaining a police report from overseas?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Master Shake

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I did this in '06, I just went to the local Police department in person and they gave me a piece of paper saying I had no record on file. This was sufficient for Poland.

Maybe someone back home could go there on your behalf and then send it to you?
ecocks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked, has to be in person. You can do it by mail but the fingerprint card is a real issue. If you don't get the fingerprints right (readable by their computer) then it's three weeks wasted.

This was a serious miscalculation on my part and possibly costing me a lot of money and and serious wasted effort getting setup here.

I wasn't in my home town while back in the states last month or I would ave done this. Didn't have to have one for other two countries where I worked and lived.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
oipivo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did this in Prague I was able to get it from the embassy. Not sure if that's an option here though.
ecocks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks oipivo!

The Embassy in Kyiv didn't do that and I see no mention of it on the Embassy services section but will check here and see.

Appreciated!
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Good question. I sometimes need a police report for my Gluf jobs. However, as I no longer have an address in the UK, I have to get it done in Poland. I went to the office there and they said they can do it. I'm British. Maybe it's different for Septics.
ecocks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Septics?

The conflicting information and comments mount. (No reflection on any of the sources, as usual it seems that one office may do things differently than another and the clerk at desk #2 may have a different interpretation than the clerk at desk #1).

One American tells me that it can be as simple as signing a statement that says "I am not a criminal."

Another American poster notes it can be done at the Embassy in the Czech Republic.

The FBI says you can use a service company from overseas but you must take your own fingerprints to submit with the request. It will take three weeks and it is possible that the fingerprints will be unreadable and require re-submission.

The US State Department warns that Embassies do not generally perform this service. (See note above Re: Prague).

A police department in the US says that the individual must be there, with proper ID and the fingerprint card (which can be done by a police technician there) to turn in the request.

Getting it sorted out just takes patience and, I have to admit, it is no worse than we put immigrants through as they come into the US. Our processing times run 5-10 months.
oipivo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One American tells me that it can be as simple as signing a statement that says "I am not a criminal."

I was going back through my documents and this is what I had from the American embassy in Prague. It's a document that you sign in front of the ambassador that essentially says that you totally promise that you haven't committed any crimes. Again, I'm not sure if that will fly here though.
ecocks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'm not sure if that will fly here though."

What did you submit with your application here then?
oipivo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They actually didn't ask me for this.
ecocks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in a letter from the Immigration Office but I am told that it may not be so bad. Like that letter you describe there is a possibility i can get by with a signed statement.
oipivo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it great how it seems to change for everyone? My letter didn't even mention a police report nor did my wife's. Since the Czech visa process was far more strict that the Polish one, I would guess that the signed statement would be just fine.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Just to let you know...when I got my karta pobytu I had everything they gave me translated and notarised...there was a letter form the Polish authorities statin that I had no criminal record in Poland. Just a thought but I am an EU citizen/British.
dynow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heck, i used polish, regardless of the level, when the situation presented itself and using english got too ridiculous. sometimes you just gotta move on.
sparks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
heck, i used polish, regardless of the level, when the situation presented itself and using english got too ridiculous. sometimes you just gotta move on.

I think this was meant to go to a different thread but I totally agree. I just did it this morning. We had some phrasal verbs and "show off" was there. We started doing the "so it's like..." kind of exchange. Having little tolerance for time-wasting, I rarely let this go on for very long before saying "It's exactly like popisywac sie" . Done. Move on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: