Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mid April Arrival: pretty much clueless.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
Within those 2 years you need to take the Thai Culture and Ethics course.

That course has been canned by the Thai Ministry of Education. They were going to come up with a new improved one, but as far as I know nothing has come out yet.

It was canned in 2010 due to providers selling certs without actually providing the course.

It came back in late 2011 and ran through Jan of 2013.

The Teacher's council changed board members in Feb 2013 and the new course providers haven't been named yet but it is still a requirement listed on the books for your Thai teacher's license and to get your 2nd provisional permit (a work permit requirement).

There is always the option of joining the illegal back-packing-teacher crowd and doing 90-day border runs instead of actually getting legal.

ippollite

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semi auspicious start. On a course of rabies injections after stupidly getting bit by a stray Smile My own fault too. Id decided they were my doggies and started looking after them every time i came back to mt apartment (i have to walk through the street they live on). One got a little over eager (not her fault) and snatched at the food i was feeding them breaking the skin.

Ah well, ive been bitten by so many dogs in my life (cant help it, love them to bits) i probably should have gotten my immunisation anyways Smile
ippollite

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More random questions! Actually really just a couple...

I see youre on the ajarn forums tttompatz, you must be pretty busy dude Smile

Anyways... almost all the jobs state this qualifier on the salary: at least (xxxxx)baht.
Am i to take that as an invitation to haggle the salary a bit?
Most government positions seem to be around 30,000 for positions a fair few hours away from a decent city. Whats a fair haggle on this? Is pushing above 40k for a first time placement pushing my luck a bit, or am i still thinking a bit low based on my experience and references?
tttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ippollite wrote:
More random questions! Actually really just a couple...

I see youre on the ajarn forums tttompatz, you must be pretty busy dude Smile

Anyways... almost all the jobs state this qualifier on the salary: at least (xxxxx)baht.
Am i to take that as an invitation to haggle the salary a bit?
Most government positions seem to be around 30,000 for positions a fair few hours away from a decent city. Whats a fair haggle on this? Is pushing above 40k for a first time placement pushing my luck a bit, or am i still thinking a bit low based on my experience and references?

Lots of free time on the holidays. Wink

If you have something to haggle with (experience and/or qualifications beyond entry level stuff) then there is some wiggle room.

If you have basic entry level quals (degree, pulse, passport from an English country) then you have nothing to offer that the next dude who wants to extend their stay in the land of brown skinned lovelies doesn't have.

Government schools have less wiggle room than private schools.
Language academies have the most wiggle room but your income and job survival will be based more on your performance and student retention than anything else.

If you are worth the money cause you keep the students happy and the mom's paying then you get the raise. If you lose students faster than a cholera outbreak then you get shown the door just about as fast.

40k would be pushing it at a k-12 school (government or private) for a green-as-grass newbie unless you are a qualified teacher from home.
40k is possible at a language academy (but you will work for it).

ippollite

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a couple of people mail me direct from Ajarn today. Pretty sure i was overpricing myself at the minute despite the seven years experience in Japan and Korea. Was rather surprised to be solicited to be honest, it aint exactly how it works in Japan. So took that as an opportunity to push my luck a bit and test the waters since its really the start of the recruitment push by the looks of it.

Ill maybe hold out for 35k+ positions but i guess the real message is that 30,000 for a state school is a fair wage and if the right location crops up, maybe take the entry level and accept that i need to either switch from public school to private language schools and get the qualifications in the school holidays if im looking for genuine savings.

Thanks for the info tttompatz... dont want to price myself out of possible opportunities Smile
tttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you've had an E2 and PS experience in Korea or JET in Japan then 32-36k on a 12 month contract with non-b visa, WP and 6 weeks of annual, paid vacation added as benefits is the bare minimum you should be looking at for 20-22 classes per week (based on an 8-4:30 work day, M-F).

40k (30 classes and 50 weeks/year) is certainly do-able in a language center anywhere outside of the tourist centers (like CM, Phuket, Pattaya, etc.). You might be able to parley a bit more in places like BKK and the "burbs" based on a few years of hagwon experience in Korea.

Jump through the hoops to get your TCT license over the next year or two and that number goes up to 50+ in k-12 schools.

ippollite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I has me my job. Not exactly swimming in the cash or anything at 32,000, but it was bumped up from 30 so beats a kick in the teeth. Plus and though others might be like "rather you than me, mate" but its in sunny Trat (and by sunny i mean 20+ days of rain for the next six or so months with a whopping 4m per year rainfall (and june to september all getting over 600mm/month).

I know before anyone tells me, theres nothing to do. And by nothing, they really mean NOTHING. But gonna get me a moped and spend my time either hopping the border on weekends, island hopping and diving or heading off to pattaya or bangkok (3 hours to pattaya or 4.5 to bangkok making pattaya a more likely choice - then again i could just go to phnom penh). Could do with a nearby city, but other than that, a kagool, some books to read, a solid internet connection, a boat, and a house on 3 meter stilts and i should be golden. Heres to hoping i get a few solid sunshine weekends when i arrive just so i can make all my facebook friends mad jealous by pretending i live on Ko Kut. Smile

Last edited by ippollite on Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Coolguy123

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious how difficult your job search was. Pretty crazy about the whole "show up and find a job thing was", most people are pretty hesitant about such a notion.
ippollite

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very very very easy. depends of course on what you want and what compromises youre willing to make. but it was so easy that i was happy to walk away from a few likely offers just because the location wasnt really what i wanted.

Naturally beaches closer to bangkok are pretty tough to find. I assume the same sits for krabi/phuket. But suburbs bangkok (nonthaburi/Pathumthani) seem to have a tonne of jobs going. And in pretty much all spheres (private, public, uni). Bangkok itself has plenty of jobs, but bit pricey living here and reaaaaaaallly easy to just pop out and spend money. Get a social life and youre lucky if youre even living pay cheque to pay cheque on entry level wage (30-35)

If i was after something comparative to my Japan/Korean lifestyle (buy what i like and still come home with a decent little bit of savings for a rainy day), i reckon you'd honestly need a 50,000 wage or thereabouts if you live in central bangkok. Then again, the longer you live here, the better youll obviously become at getting about cheap. Still, youll be cutting back on luxuries, and in a city like bangkok thats got to be sad Sad The supermarket at the top of central world even has curly wurlys! Nom nom nom nom. But for the price you can get a bowl of yum at a street vendor.

So um, not sure why im telling you blatantly obvious common sense stuff, but as i say, its seductive. Even if you think you arent spending much, its definitely adding up.

...er, probably a bit of a tangent.

Basically stuck my resume up on Ajarn, "update" it daily to bump yourself back to the top of the list and if youve got degree plus teaching certificate, reasonably young and obviously presentable in your photo, and youll be hit up plenty of times by recruiters. I mean honestly, so few people in the pics bother to represent themselves formally. Its ridiculous. As far as entry level goes, ESL is just as much an image driven industry as it is a qualification driven one. Present yourself well and you'll score a job with barely any effort required. Smile That being said, any application i instigated resulted in almost immediate contact and sometimes even flat out job offers without an interview (though maybe it lost something in translation).

So yeah, no doorstepping required if thats what youre worried about. Obviously youll get better deals by spec enquiring and negotiating your own contract but you probably need to know the lay of the land a little better. For first job though its easy enough.
Coolguy123

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Ajarn.com, that's helpful. So basically the only reason you're required to be in country is they prefer to hire people that are able to start immediately or just want people to already be there? What's wrong with finding a job from abroad?

If Bangkok is so expensive I might have to look in other cheaper areas if that's the case, maybe northern Thailand or something.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coolguy123 wrote:
What's wrong with finding a job from abroad?

For just "English / EFL" teachers there are enough people here applying for jobs that there is usually no need to hire sight unseen from abroad and then hope that they will actually get on an airplane and not bail at the last minute.

If you were something special (high school Physics or Calculus (IB or AP) teacher) then you could probably land a decent job at a top tier international school from abroad and have all the benefits as well.

Coolguy123 wrote:
If Bangkok is so expensive I might have to look in other cheaper areas if that's the case, maybe northern Thailand or something.

BKK is and is not that expensive. It is seductive and it is easy to spend money. It is not that you have to spend money.

If you get a job up-country you may find that the lifestyle is a bit too "rural" (even in some of the cities) for some people and they spend their savings on monthly trips to BKK anyway.

Jobs, fresh off the plane, for a newbie start in the 32k thb range. After that it is up to you. If you are good at what you do then opportunities will find you. Anyone here who, by their 2nd year, cannot pull down 50k or better is doing something wrong.

Wanderir

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ippollite,
Thank you for starting this thread and to all those responded. It's been really helpful to me.

I'll be in Thailand again in a couple of weeks, I just flew to the US to tie up some loose ends and I'll be back to get my cert and find a job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: