Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help, this is kind of miserable!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teachingld2004

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: help advice Reply with quote

First of all, let me tell u to to keep reading on Dave's and keep posting O have gotten a lot of help here, and I have helped others.

Please have fun.I have my own share of problems but most are my own making. I stress out too much. I have gotten some advice that I do not agree with, but it is the best, so I listen. (some of the time).
I just wrote about how another teacher was causing problems and the students vented to me, and many people told me to "let it go" so I did.

I know I am a very good teacher. I love what I do, but some times I care too much.

I you are teaching "Oral English" , try and make it fun Teach what ever they like. If it is pop music, do it. If it is fishing, do that too. Make life fun for them, this place gives them enough headaches.

Look up poems by "Piet Hein". I have gotten plenty of lessons from them They are funny but have so much meaning. There are tons of them.

There is an art of knowing when
Never try to guess
Toast until it smokes and then
20 seconds less.

Loosing one glove
Is certainly painful
But nothing compared to the pain
Of loosing one glove
Throwing away the other
And finding the first one again

I'd like to know
What this whole show
Is all about
Before it's out

Who am I
To deny
That maybe God is me
it'snotmyfault

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a few poems in the class too. Like this one.

Some words are happy and others are sad
Some words are perfumed and others smell_____
Some words are______and some words are sly.
Some words are slimy and others are_____.
Some words are cold and some words are______
Some words are_______and others are not.
Some words are ______but other words cheat.
Some words are bitter while others are_______.
Some words move quickly, some words move_____
Some words are______while other words grow.
Some words we use______ and some quite a lot.
Some words are remembered and others_______.
Phil 999

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't the CELTA teach you the importance of meeting a lesson aim; the sub aims including grammar, lexis, phonology and fluency. Did the CELTA not teach you Presentation, Practice or TTT. Did you not consider task based learning methodology? Did you not learn about slowly introducing freer practice as your lesson develops? Did you not learn about tasks in class, particularly information sharing and group sharing. Did you not learn about board presentations with focus on form (Boards are hardly small here)? Did you not learn about how to vary the spoken output between learners? Didn't you learn about peer error corrections/peer group work?

I'm sorry but I could go on a lot. All of these things relate to China in a big way and with Uni big classes.

You should act professionally always. Don't let students see your insecurity and don't let them slack in your class. Games are not needed. Interest from you in their spoken performance and interaction with peers and you is the main thing and gauging this (I admit the CELTA does not teach assessment/research that well. The DELTA was a bit better there and the MA TOEFL could be the best for that)

Head down and work hard for your self respect.
teachingld2004

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: help Reply with quote

it'snot, that is a good idea, thanks.

I have not used poems where the students fill in a blank. I have used
poems where they have to make the next line. Any line they hoose is good. Then they an pass it to their partner, or we pass them around the room.

Yes they also finish them alone.

I love poetry, it makes a lass laugh some of the time.

have them teach you something. Have them tell you what advice hey would give some one from another planet.

Put them in groups and have them make up a story. give them a headline (you can make it up) and have them write the story

There are a zillion things you can do

Once again, Dave's ESL cafe is here to help (or hinder) you.

"Go with the flow", and some times let them lead.

Never sat you can't, say "I can, and I will".

First year an be hard. 5th year can be hard. The job is what you make of it.

I have more good day than bad days.

As others have said, students are tired. half (maybe) of them have no idea what you are saying Some of them do not wan to be there.

Finish class, and go have a shot of whiskey. You will feel better.

My 2 cents worth.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have (somewhere - haven't used it in a while) a text of 'The night before Christmas'.
It's rhyming couplets pretty much and the 2nd word of the rhyme has been left blank.
The missing words are collated at the end of the poem - not in any order.
The students work in pairs to find the word that completes the rhyme and write it on the poem sheet.
We mark it as a class.
I obtained it originally for English majors who needed something on rhyme, alliteration and euphony.
The poem by itself seems to go down well with all levels.
I'll have a look for it and get back but it shouldn't be too hard to make your own.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: