Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I am so disappointed in the way people are treated in Qatar
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geronimo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindful that I've made a lot of negative comments in this thread,
I thought it was time to post some more positive news.

I'm not a miserable, old b"$t"&%, I'm ever the optimist! Cool

UCL Qatar has amended its housing allowance policy so that it is now less unfavourable for its female employees:-
http://dohanews.co/ucl-qatar-backtracks-after-some-female-staff-paid-less-than-men/

and, Qatar Airways has decided to allow its female flight attendants to get married,
in spite of the greater risk that they might get pregnant after doing so.
Don't worry, though, this airline hasn't gone completely bananas,
"Other regulations which had drawn complaints from staff – such as women crew members must be picked up from work only by their father, brother or husband – are thought to remain in place, at least for now."

Please note that this change in policy by the airline has not been as a result of international criticism, in spite of what the UN's I.L.O. might tell you.

On the contrary,
"Earlier this year Qatar Airways won the airline of the year award for the third time at the annual Skytrax world awards at the Paris air show."
http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/aug/27/qatar-airways-will-no-longer-sack-cabin-crew-who-become-pregnant-or-marry

Geronimo
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geronimo wrote:
The "Kafala" sponsorship system remains difficult
for the Qatari government to reform...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/qatars-troubled-kafala-system-proves-hard-change-042012480--sow.html

Geronimo

Any reform will consist of a "court" sending out letters to the enslavers saying essentially 'You are invited to come to court to work out problems that have been brought up by your employees'. I know from experience with the labor court in Saudi Arabia that there is no such thing as a court summons in the region. In fact keep in mind that in the West for this kind of activity there would be no summons, just arrests and the perpetrators would be in court the next day. All of this reform stuff in a Gulf State is utter bull.
Geronimo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amnesty International has released its report into workers' conditions at the Khalifa Stadium in Qatar's "Aspire Zone".
It is entitled: "Qatar World Cup of Shame -The Ugly Side to the Beautiful Game"...
https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/campaigns/2016/03/qatar-world-cup-of-shame/

There is also a video presentation of the recent findings...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCzEJvH0p5I&feature=youtu.be

Today the BBC included Amnesty International's report of forced labour in its news broadcasts...
http://www.bbc.com/news/video_and_audio/headlines/35932671

The Supreme Council for Delivery and Legacy (SCDL) has responded to Amnesty International's allegations.
“There is a commitment towards progress,” SCDL secretary-general Hassan Al Thawadi said at a press conference earlier this week. “This World Cup is a catalyst for positive change.”
He added that the organization was “vindicated” after Amnesty found no evidence of any work-related deaths on World Cup sites, as the SCDL has said itself.

http://dohanews.co/abuses-on-qatar-world-cup-site-ugly-side-to-the-beautiful-game/

Will FIFA's new General Secretary, Infantino, take decisive steps to rectify the situation?
The "Doha News" doesn't think so...
http://dohanews.co/for-qatar-new-fifa-boss-will-likely-mean-more-of-the-same/

And so, the construction workers continue to suffer in appalling conditions.

Geronimo
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what recommendations the Supreme Council for Delivery and Legacy has given the Qatari overlords concerning their fellow slave driving citizens abuse of foreign workers from poor countries. "Can't we just all think positively about a solution?" "Be nice to your entrapped employees."
Geronimo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two major British construction companies, Balfour Beatty and Interserve,
are being criticised for their involvement in the exploitation of workers in Qatar. Sad

"“It is not enough for British companies to say they are operating in line with local norms when those norms have been criticised by human rights groups or to say they are working in compliance with local labour laws that have received widespread condemnation and fall short of the standards set by international bodies like the ILO,” said Damian Collins, a Conservative MP who campaigns for reform of football’s world governing body Fifa...."

Will a recent change in U.K. legislation influence the decision-making process within these two construction companies?

"...On 1 April, a clause in the UK’s Modern Slavery Act came into effect that requires large British companies to begin producing public statements outlining the actions they are taking to ensure their supply chains are free of slavery...."

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2016/apr/13/balfour-beatty-interserve-accused-migrant-worker-labour-abuses-qatar

Geronimo
mrpianoman

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got put in jail in Qatar for kicking a shop door. I spent about a week in jail and kept having to go and see a judge to lessen the fine each time until it reached zero and then they let me out! FOOK QATAR. expensive drinks, expensive food, towers, traffic jams and silly police officers putting foreigners in jail. Evil or Very Mad
tmac-100

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrpianoman wrote:
I got put in jail in Qatar for kicking a shop door. I spent about a week in jail and kept having to go and see a judge to lessen the fine each time until it reached zero and then they let me out! FOOK QATAR. expensive drinks, expensive food, towers, traffic jams and silly police officers putting foreigners in jail. Evil or Very Mad

And what would you do if someone did that to you in your shop (or home) in the USA? Probably shoot them if news reports are to be believed.

Bad form on your part - kicking a shop door. Lashing out is childish behavior and you as an adult are not entitled to act that way. Please exhibit self-control etc, NOT some sense of entitlement when visiting outside of your homeland/country of citizenship. Hummm Mad
cartago

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been to Qatar but I've seen reports that shopping centers and parks have a ban on bachelors and if you're a single man it makes life difficult.

This was brought up in the context of workers from South Asia so I don't know how often this applies to westerners who may not be suspected of harassing women as much but it still seems uncomfortable living in a place that has such blatant discrimination. However this may apply equally to Saudi Arabia and other places. I expect it would in Saudi Arabia.

If there were an equal number of places single men could go then that makes it better although irritating.

Fortunately in Iraq, where I am, this is limited to family sections of restaurants and even then is often ignored and usually not done in more western style places. Housing can be a problem if you're single but not insurmountable.

I would think twice about moving to a place where I couldn't go to the mall or the park on certain days, as if I were living in 1940s era Mississippi.
helenl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bans on single (read south Asian) men entering malls has been common in the GCC for years, but usually only on Fridays which is usually designated "family" day. Ostensibly, it is a way of keeping the labourers from entering and possibly annoying other customers. Unfortunately, it is usually the only day these men have to visit and do what little shopping their finances allow.

Of course it's a sham, if the man is wearing a thobe/dish dash - he won't be stopped no matter what colour he might be.

It used to be the norm in the UAE and Oman and continues in Qatar except at larger hypermarkets and supermarkets on Friday mornings when they are allowed to enter and buy - and then shooed out.

Western (read white) single men have never been subject to the ban to my knowledge
Madman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Worst in the GCC? Reply with quote

I would say Kuwait was the worst, then KSA, Qatar, Bahrain, UAE. I don't know where to place Oman in the list as I haven't worked there but as salaries are lower than most GCC areas I would pop it in between KSA and Qatar. I think your quality of life/daily experiences in any location depend on whether you are on your own or with family but I base my above ratings on the singleton's experience of quality of life, locals, infrastructure, local students, etc.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Worst in the GCC? Reply with quote

Madman wrote:
...but I base my above ratings on the singleton's experience of quality of life, locals, infrastructure, local students, etc.

Although it has the lowest salaries (along with Bahrain), I would say that life in Muscat would be at the top of your 4 criteria...

But, of course... as we say in the US... YMMV

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: