Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

going to Italy to job hunt RIGHT NOW

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valaki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: going to Italy to job hunt RIGHT NOW Reply with quote

Is this a very bad idea?

EU passport (non-English speaking EU country), CELTA, MA English lit, 2 years exp. including university level (Middle East).

Supposing it's feasible, where/how do I start?
hot_shot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIGHT NOW?!

whats the rush??
Valaki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KSA problems.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit confused. When you say EU passport from non-English speaking country, does this mean you aren't a native speaker of English? (Cos that may well cause you problems in Italy.)

Probably your best bet would be to head to the bigger cities where you could pick up a bit of work. Most courses have started, and most teachers are in place in schools / institutions etc. So any work you get is likely to be a bit scrappy. On the other hand, you could strike it lucky!

Try Rome / Milan / Turin. Milan is a good option as there are lots of satellite towns, all with their own language schools.

You're not likely to get any uni work. Most is recupero lessons (i.e. helping secondary school students with their English homework / problems); corporate English in the bigger towns, and Cambridge ESOL exam preparation. (KET, PET, FCE and YL.)
Valaki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about now? Any tips/leads anyone?
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regular contracts are Sept/Oct through June. This is NEVER a good time of year...makes no difference if it's 2012 or 2013.
Valaki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well OK, thanks for the advice but I still want to go.

I was thinking I might start calling schools from back home, while sounding really desperate. How would Italian employers react to this?
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valaki wrote:
Well OK, thanks for the advice but I still want to go.

I was thinking I might start calling schools from back home, while sounding really desperate. How would Italian employers react to this?

What do you see as the advantage of "sounding really desperate"? Honestly, I can't see any advantage in taking that approach, although there is a clear downside. In any event, I'm not sure that calling schools from out of country will get you very far, but others will know more about that than I do, and can advise you accordingly.

spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty rare to find anything from abroad, unless you find a desperate EMPLOYER. Especially at this time of year.

No chance they are going to care if you are desperate or not.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what Spiral says. Few employers are going to hire you from abroad unless you're going through an agency like Saxencourt or Eurotemp. But be really careful of taking a job sight unseen.

Why not come over and see what's available? You might get a few hours here and there. This is my busiest time of the year for teaching with exam prep etc, though these hours have been planned for some time. You might find that some schools / training institutions have overstretched themselves and need a pair of extra hands. (You're unlikely to get anything fulltime though, unless you're really lucky.)
Valaki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teacher in Rome wrote:

Why not come over and see what's available?

This is what I want to do but it raises so many questions... accomodation, actually locating schools in a given area, etc. Is there a guide for newbies for this?
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been around Western and Central Europe for almost 15 years now. Basically, finding jobs here requires some risk-taking and some up front investment. Especially at this time of year, your chances are less than they would be in September.
If you're not a native English speaker, even more problematic....

It is a risk. You might get lucky. No-one can really say!

Best general ideas:

Pick a big city (or two). Usually more opportunities in a big city. Find a cheap accomodation (online searches work in this respect). Ideally, go there in the peak hiring period. Be ready to present yourself as professionally as possible.

There is no list of schools for any one city other than what you can find on google, so far as I am aware.

You can also send CVs in advance, but don't really expect anyone to bite on these; it's just very rare that reputable employers hire anyone sight-unseen, though it's not totally unheard of.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schools are generally listed in the yellow pages: "pagine gialle". You can look these up online.
Valaki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I'm in the Milan region now. Can anyone recommend specific schools I could apply to?
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try some of the business / corporate type places. Connor Language Services comes to mind, and there's also Anderson House in Bergamo.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: