Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UK & Korean Couple Moving to Spain - A Few Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
willamangiro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: UK & Korean Couple Moving to Spain - A Few Questions Reply with quote

Hi there,

I was wondering whether anyone on here might be able to help me out.

I am from the UK and am looking to move to Spain in the future (within the next year or so). I will have 3 years experience teaching English in Korea (I live there at the moment), and am undertaking a TEFL certificate. I also have a Bachelors degree. I am assuming that this should qualify me to work in Spain.

However, the problem I have is with my fiancee (we will be married by the time we move). She is Korean, but speaks excellent English - her undergraduate degree is in English. She has been teaching the subject for around 8 years. She doesn't have any specific certificates for teaching though.

I'm guessing that there will be no problem with her living and working in Spain, because we will be married - is that correct?

What I want to know is, what work can she do in Spain? Are there any teaching jobs available if you are non-native? Are there any certificates she could do to help her chances of employment?

Obviously my salary alone wouldn't really be enough to support two people. Perhaps teaching privately would be the best solution?

Finally, do you think Spain is a good country to come to if one of us is a non-native speaker, or would there be better countries in Europe in terms of working opportunities?

Many thanks in advance for your help, any advice would be much appreciated.

Will
revenger2013

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Chinese wife and am making the same move myself in a couple of years time. I am doing an MA TEFL and am hoping to get my wife on the same course or a 'Chinese as a foreign language' MA so she can graduate with a solid post-graduate degree. There is still that 'non-native speaker' bias but thankfully she can make a living teaching Mandarin Chinese which seems to be in great demand in Germany.

Maybe Germany would be a good place for a Korean speaker to make a niche teaching Korean? Me and the wife are probably going to settle for Germany, I will get some business English qualifications so I know what I am teaching and that should set us up nicely.

I would prefer Spain myself but I think there is more opportunity for the both of us in Germany. Good luck in your quest mate. Very Happy
Perilla

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something I looked into a few years ago when my wife and I (I'm a Brit, she's USA) were looking at moving to Spain. We still intend going there at some point.

Anyway, according to what I discovered it's not quite as straightforward as you might imagine. The most obvious way (or so I thought) would be to get a British passport for the wife. Unfortunately, to do this requires three years of residency in the UK.

So, forget about that. As your wife is married to an EU national, she is entitled to live and work in Spain, you just have to get hold of a TARJETA DE RESIDENCIA DE FAMILIAR DE CIUDADANO DE LA UNI�N EUROPEA. Or that's what it was called a few years ago. So, some paperwork required but the outcome should, I imagine, be a foregone conclusion. I'd be interested to hear from someone who's been through this process recently.
Perilla

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any EU passport holders gone to Spain with non-EU spouse recently? It'd be interesting to hear how things turned out work and visa-wise for the other half.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: