Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forum voyeurs - say hello! Introduce yourselves!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Forum voyeurs - say hello! Introduce yourselves! Reply with quote

I'm sure there are (as there are on other forums) lots of people who read the Poland forum, but for whatever reason haven't posted as a result of:

being amazed at the nonsense going on
being shocked by the vitriolic infighting
the usual argument being spouted
etc

say hello, make yourselves at home, some fresh blood is always welcome Smile
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

32 people have looked at this thread without commenting - me twice, master shake at least once (cos he's really nosey) and the rest of you must be forum voyeurs who want to say hello. So say hello! Smile
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings, comrades, from the Motherland!
Master Shake

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum voyeurs - say hello! Introduce yourselves! Reply with quote

simon_porter00 wrote:
being amazed at the nonsense going on
the usual argument being spouted

One reason for this is that there just isn't much new blood flowing into Poland. Hence, the same tired arguments and nonsense prevails.

I spent some time on he Vietnam forum over the summer - completely different story. Loads of new threads and comments about a wide range of topics, not just cost-of-living.

I'll wager the lurkers are folks who are not based in PL and just tune in to this forum for the sheer hilarity of watching us rattle each others' cages.

Of course, none of this would happen if life in Poland wasn't so rediculously expensive. Then we could spend our free time doing something far more interesting than bickering and whinging on Dave's

Why, just the other day I spent 600zl on a lunch special in Sphinx, and that was with a 10% discount! Horrible service and a clumsy waitress to boot. How Poles manage to make ends meet here on 2000zl a month is a mystery to me. Something illegal must be going on, bigtime.

(Sorry, but someone has now got to fill the hole)
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't surprise me if the traffic now picks up on this forum now that we don't have to listen to constant complaints about how terrible Poland is because it doesn't allow someone to live a life of bone idleness while earning ridiculously good salaries.

So yes, hello, show yourselves Smile
mitsui

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup it was entertaining. I am in Japan.
Sharter and I are the same age.

I prefer Poland, but pay is not good enough.
Sucks in the winter, but enjoyable the rest of the year.
sparks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why, just the other day I spent 600zl on a lunch special in Sphinx, and that was with a 10% discount! Horrible service and a clumsy waitress to boot. How Poles manage to make ends meet here on 2000zl a month is a mystery to me. Something illegal must be going on, bigtime.

love it!

Just the other day I spent 500 zl. on a new t-shirt, 900 zl. on a pair of tennis shoes and then, to top it all off, bought a bottle of wine for 1100 zl. I mean how can you live when it costs 2500 zl. ($830) for some clothes and alcohol ?
wojbrian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many people did you buy food for?

Average meal at Spinx is maybe 30pln and then add a few beverages per person would be another 10-15pln.

15 people?

Oh, and hello!!!

I guess I am a lurker at this time...

Smile

lf99
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-join the Motherland's embrace. She forgives all. Then prices will become even more abstract... Very Happy
sparks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except for free speech... Smile

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/opinion/article/russia-is-turning-into-iran/468920.html
amisexy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm a newbie to Poland.
Things are nowhere near as expensive as some people state on this forum. In my city an average meal seems closer to 15/ 20/25zl and for lunch its around 10/15zl. Beers can be easily had for 5, 6 or 7zl in city centre bars. H&M are doing some nice trousers for 50zl. T-Shirts are a bit less. Alcohol is the supermarket is dirt cheap, as are the basic staples of life (Bread, fruit, vegetables etc.)

Salaries for native speakers seem to start at 2500zl (net) which is a liveable wage, if quite tight. Luckily i'm on a bit more which is good. In my area I�ve seen quite a few job vacancies advertised locally. There's also quite a few private work adverts looking for around 50zl per hour.

By the way, met some Polish people (graduates) who were earning 1500zl for full time jobs. Now, that's a low salary! I think the Polish minimum wage works out, at 40 hours per week, at around 1000zl per month (net) for comparative purposes.

[i](Edited to change gross to net for the Polish minimum wage)[/i]

Last edited by amisexy on Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I check in occasionally because we're neighbors, sorta.
Don't usually have much to add (though occasionally I throw in my 2 koruny worth), but it's interesting sometimes to know what/how it's like in Poland.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wojbrian wrote:
How many people did you buy food for?

Average meal at Spinx is maybe 30pln and then add a few beverages per person would be another 10-15pln.

15 people?

Dude, it was a joke.

I agree with ami about price of most things being reasonable to cheap in PL.

2500zl/mo. net may be just enough in most Polish cities, but you'd struggle on that in Warsaw.
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amisexy wrote:
Hi,

Salaries for native speakers seem to start at 2500zl (net) which is a liveable wage, if quite tight. Luckily i'm on a bit more which is good. In my area I�ve seen quite a few job vacancies advertised locally. There's also quite a few private work adverts looking for around 50zl per hour.

By the way, met some Polish people (graduates) who were earning 1500zl for full time jobs. Now, that's a low salary! I think the Polish minimum wage works out, at 40 hours per week, at around 1000zl per month (net) for comparative purposes.

Just for the record, which city are you based in?
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the posts because "Polska Ludowa" was my introduction to that strange place "Abroad" - in 1963. I was 16 and was beginning a long obsession with alcohol, which was amzaingly cheap there if you had $US or other "Waluta".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: