Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Places in Asia to get a 1 year contract with university ties

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seyz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Places in Asia to get a 1 year contract with university ties Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am going to obtain my M.A. in May and am consider all possible future paths. One such option was to teach somewhere in Asia, where I could possibly save up some money, make some personal connections, and conduct pilot level academic research for future study. I am very familiar with the situation in Japan and South Korea, but I was also curious about Southeast Asia and Central Asia in particular, as to whether obtaining a university job or similar job (in terms of teaching, pay, benefits, etc.).

My ultimate goal is to earn some money, make academic connections, and lay the groundwork for future study. I am very open minded and am proficient in six languages, so I am always up for, and would actually be hoping to engage in a language and cultural education as well. Unfortunately, as far as teaching in Asia outside of the Far East, I am very uncertain, and am hoping some of you all could shed some insight.

Thanks
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Places in Asia to get a 1 year contract with university Reply with quote

seyz wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am going to obtain my M.A. in May and am consider all possible future paths. One such option was to teach somewhere in Asia, where I could possibly save up some money, make some personal connections, and conduct pilot level academic research for future study. I am very familiar with the situation in Japan and South Korea, but I was also curious about Southeast Asia and Central Asia in particular, as to whether obtaining a university job or similar job (in terms of teaching, pay, benefits, etc.).

My ultimate goal is to earn some money, make academic connections, and lay the groundwork for future study. I am very open minded and am proficient in six languages, so I am always up for, and would actually be hoping to engage in a language and cultural education as well. Unfortunately, as far as teaching in Asia outside of the Far East, I am very uncertain, and am hoping some of you all could shed some insight.

Thanks

a) My ultimate goal is to earn some money = not in a uni job teaching EFL in Asia.
b) Make academic connections = depends on your field of expertise. If your MA is in science or business and you are teaching 1st year uni-EFL there isn't much room for networking in your field.
c) Lay the groundwork for future study = see <b>

If you want to make money then a uni job is not the place to be.
Rates per class hour may be pretty decent but low hours means a low net jingle in your jeans at the end of the year. Teachers in your basic language academy may work more but they also make more. A language center attached to a university may give you a decent mix

Uni jobs (in SE Asia) for freshly minted MAs usually pay in the US$1000-1500 range (depending on the country of choice) with class loads of between 12-18 per week (plus office hours) and benefits ranging from medical, housing, partial airfare and pension benefits at some jobs in China to nothing at most entry level uni jobs in Thailand or other ASEAN block countries.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: