Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Istanbul vs Bucharest to live in
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
massiveg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nearest one to my flat in Istanbul was 2.46
Dancebiscuits

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gather it's going to pretty pricey to run a car then! Fortunately, my employer supplies school bus transport to and from work, plus I find Istanbul's public transport system quite adequate, so it's more of a luxury than a necessity for me to run a car I guess.

Thanks for your help everyone

Smile
guyrob84

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there can anyone give more details about the cost of living in Istanbul? I really want to give the place a try but am worried I wont be able to enjoy the city on a meagre teachers salary!
Shalana

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Istanbul for four years and left almost two years ago, but have visited a few times. The two biggest expenses in my opinion are housing and public transportation. Depending on where you want to live and if you live alone or with one or two roommates, housing can run anywhere from 500 lira per month on up. Two websites to check - craigslist and sahibinden. I believe public transpo is about 1.75 lira if you get a card, more if you don't. You can buy food and clothes pretty cheap if you know where to shop. Entertainment can get pricey depending on what you like to do and how often.

Teachers' salaries range from meager to pretty good. Most language schools pay around 16-18 lira per teaching hour. You should be able to get a lot better at a private primary, high school, or university. During the time I lived there, I worked at one language school, two private high schools, and one private university and my salary ranged anywhere from 16 lira per hour to $2000 per month. One of my friends recently made 3600 lira per month at a private primary school and one of her friends is making even more than that at a private high school in Istanbul. Like any other city - do your homework and good luck.
Clairz

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering what you decided, I'm trying to make the same decision!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: