Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding a teaching job in Spain as a non-native speaker
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
not_too_shabby

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Finding a teaching job in Spain as a non-native speaker Reply with quote

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are planning to move to Spain at the beginning of the school year. We are both English teachers and are looking to find a teaching job.
My question is... how difficult will it be for us to find something decent considering the fact that neither of us are native English speakers? I am Romanian and my boyfriend is Dutch. However, we are both qualified with a CELTA,TEFL, IHCYL, we have plenty of years' experience and speak Spanish (just me). Another plus is that we don't really have a foreign accent since we've been living abroad for ages.
Right now we are teaching in the Czech Republic and doing quite well financially but we prefer better weather and an easier local language Smile.

I look forward to your replies!
Grimace420

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The English teaching market in Spain is definitely geared towards employing native speakers. My partner is Spanish and lost her job as an English teacher in the Madrid public secondary school system last year. Of course, Spain being Spain they didn't let her know explicitly that she'd be losing her job, rather they simply stopped handing out positions for the school year around November. After sending her CV absolutely everywhere and applying for anything going, she now has about 6 hours in one academy and does 3 private classes. However, it's true that any time past October is a difficult time to look for work and a lot of non-native speakers are able to get work if they look early enough. Just accept that you'll probably be discriminated against in favour of less qualified and less experienced people with a UK/Irish or US passport, give yourselves a month max to find work (mid September to mid October for example) and give up sooner rather than dragging the search on.

Best of luck. I hope you do find something. Spain could learn a lot about teaching English from both the Netherlands and Romania.
not_too_shabby

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply. I am well aware of the preference for native speakers but I hope that starting early enough and trying hard enough will pay off eventually. We signed up for the spainwise job fair in May and we'll see what comes out of that.
Thanks again for your message and if there are any non-natives out there working in Spain, please let me know of your experiences finding jobs.

Cheers!
leretif9

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm from the US with a BA in English, and no previous ESL experience.

How near-impossible do the knowledgable among you think it will be to wing it, and get under the table work tutoring people in Barcelona? I know that Spain is second only to Greece in its parlous economic situation.

Thanks in advance.

Le Retif
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only illegal to work without a work permit (which you can't get as a US citizen) but also illegal to even be in the country at all for more than 90 days. Google 'schengen zone' if you're not familiar.
leretif9

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, sure, so, what about taking the boat to Morocco for a few days, and then coming back. And at the next 88 day point, repeat the procedure.

Also, what about getting a one year visa as a US citizen before going over?
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Border run loophole closed. It's 90 days in, then 90 days out. Google Schengen zone.
On what basis would anyone get a one year visa? It doesn't exist so far as I've ever heard, unless it's some sort of work/study deal which requires one to be enrolled in a proper university full time.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be possible to get under-the-table work, sure. But you would be taking a huge risk if caught be the authorities. Deportation, banned from returning to anywhere in the EU for x number of years, a nice remark stamped on your 'observations' page in your passport. All this for trying to earn, illegally, less money than you'll need for bare subsistence. A serious re-think may be in order. Is this really what you want? Is it worth it? Apart from any considerations about respecting the law of the land, of course - a minor detail. More out on a wing, than winging it...

Get a Celta, and come to Russia! Life is so much easier, as are visa applications for US citizens, this side of the Iron Curtain.
leretif9

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, this means 90 days at a time for all EU countries together? Or, 90 days for Spain, and then move on for another 90 days to another EU country?

Do they assume all tourists are the typical US type who flit from city to city and country to country spending a few days in each, getting their pictures taken, and then have to go see the Pyramids in a great hurry, too?
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leretif9 wrote:

So, this means 90 days at a time for all EU countries together? Or, 90 days for Spain, and then move on for another 90 days to another EU country?

?

90 days for the entire Schengen zone. You can divide it up any way you want--3 days each in 30 countries; 90 days in one, or anything in between.

leretif9

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

90 days -- and then how long am I obligated to stay away from the Schengen Zone before they will let me back in for another 90 days?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

90 days in the Schengen Zone, 90 days out, per 180 day period. Note the UK and Ireland, EU countries, are not in the Zone, and Switzerland basically is, though not an EU member.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
90 days in the Schengen Zone, 90 days out, per 180 day period

Correct - and this is why I noted that your weekend in Morocco idea won't work anymore. This was a legal option to restart a visa until a few years ago. Loophole closed with the new 90-days-out requirement.
RoisinDubh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leretif9 wrote:

Do they assume all tourists are the typical US type who flit from city to city and country to country spending a few days in each, getting their pictures taken, and then have to go see the Pyramids in a great hurry, too?

Your sense of entitlement is grating. Perhaps it's just me, but I keep meeting North Americans who seem to think they have a God-given right to live and work in Europe. I can't just go and stay in the US as long as I want to, so why should you be able to come to Spain and do it here? Most countries in the world have these kinds of restrictions. What you're proposing to do is illegal and unethical. There are plenty of properly qualified, legal teachers struggling to make a living here. The last thing they need is another illegal, unqualified teacher who thinks they should just be able to do whatever they want. I know I'm being harsh, but I'm tired of meeting people like you, who think that Europe is their playground and that the rules don't apply to them.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Tis a little harsh, all right, Roisin. It is a valid point, but might do with a bit of softening...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: