Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disney English

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
parnett

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Disney English Reply with quote

I have been offered a job at Disney English as an academic director. The package is a good one- eighteen thousand/ month salary, four thousand/ month housing allowance, seven thousand signing bonus etc. I have a long history as the head of language departments at universities, high schools and language schools. At some, I was worked to death and on the verge of a breakdown; at others, the job wasn't so stressful. I don't mind working hard, but 90+ hours a week are too many.
I have read many stories on the net about this company; most were uncomplimentary, to say the least. Long hours, disorganized administration etc. etc. were common gripes. I also heard that the academic director spends a lot of time travelling from branch to branch, city to city.
Have any of you readers worked at Disney, and, if so, what were your impressions of the job, administration and academic director?
doogsville

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't worked for the company personally, but a very good friend of mine is an academic director for them in a large city on the mainland. I don't want to give too many details since I haven't spoken to him about it, but I can tell you he is generally happy with the job, but has mentioned a few times that he has almost no time off.
ecubyrd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doogsville wrote:
I haven't worked for the company personally, but a very good friend of mine is an academic director for them in a large city on the mainland. I don't want to give too many details since I haven't spoken to him about it, but I can tell you he is generally happy with the job, but has mentioned a few times that he has almost no time off.

OP, I'm familiar with the company, and that is certainly true. Unless things have changed drastically in the last couple of years, a lot of what you have read as gripes is true as well.

It sounds like you are qualified (probably more than most working in that aspect for them) for that position. It seems that every hiring period that we have had at my current school has had some academic directors from that company applying. We haven't hired any of them.

Best of luck if you choose to take the job. It could turn out great, or then again, it might just be the same as the ones that brought you to the edge.
Jellyfish666

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like damned good pay! I'd do almost anything to have that kind of money!
choudoufu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Disney English Reply with quote

parnett wrote:
I have been offered a job at Disney English as an academic director. The package is a good one- eighteen thousand/ month salary, four thousand/ month housing allowance, seven thousand signing bonus etc.

holy #$#$ batman!!! that's 264,000 rmb's a year, not including bonuses
and airfare!!!!!!

you're freakin' gettin' $42K american! slave wages!!!!!!!!!!!!
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be 18,000 a month but aren't you working like 40-50 hours a week/

Could get a uni job teaching 5 hours for 6,000 then work 15 hours a week privates for the same pay...
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarssonCrew wrote:
It might be 18,000 a month but aren't you working like 40-50 hours a week/

Could get a uni job teaching 5 hours for 6,000 then work 15 hours a week privates for the same pay...

+1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: