Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are your job condition non-starters?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
johntpartee



Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 3231

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You don't have a very high opinion of other TEFLers do you?


This would make a good topic for a poll.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Non Sequitur



Joined: 23 May 2010
Posts: 2424
Location: China

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll?
Hell this thread should be a 'sticky'!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fat_chris



Joined: 10 Sep 2003
Posts: 3135

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

creeper1 wrote:
You don't have a very high opinion of other TEFLers do you?


Certainly not drunk stinky ones with dreadlocks who are from... Shocked…SASKATOON!

Cool

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Markness



Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Posts: 256
Location: Chengdu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat_chris wrote:
creeper1 wrote:
You don't have a very high opinion of other TEFLers do you?


Certainly not drunk stinky ones with dreadlocks who are from... Shocked…SASKATOON!

Cool

Warm regards,
fat_chris


Haha, that armpit of a city is just west of mine... small world!


For me, I need my own apartment, need them to pay for utilities, need them to have the school within walking distance of my apartment, and finally... I need to stop working for this recruiting group... I'm pretty sure they take half my damn salary every month, time to backdoor them after the 1-year is up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fat_chris



Joined: 10 Sep 2003
Posts: 3135

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theoriginalprankster wrote:
Quote:
CCTV 9 was not accessible.


That's a godsend, mate. Consider it one of the perks!


Definitely seconded.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GreatApe



Joined: 11 Apr 2012
Posts: 422
Location: South of Heaven and East of Nowhere

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markness wrote:
Quote:
I need to stop working for this recruiting group... I'm pretty sure they take half my damn salary every month, time to backdoor them after the 1-year is up.

+ 1, mate!

Show them the proverbial door A.S.A.P! No need to keep feeding the leeches! Become a free-agent and get a bit more control over your life.

Good Luck, and KEEP GOING!

--GA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
buffalobill12323



Joined: 18 Sep 2013
Posts: 115
Location: China

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What are your job condition non-starters? Reply with quote

lemak wrote:
I'll likely stick around my current school for another semester/year, but every time I get near the end of my contract I always shoot out some resumes, respond to some ads to see what else is out there.

Inevitably I get hundreds of replies, most of which are shite, but it's annoying sifting through the thorns to get to that one rose, ya know?

So I end up looking for keywords that see the email get moved straight to the delete folder.

Personally any job that says "Kindergarten", "One day off a week", "+15 office hours", Less than 5,000rmb are all non-starters regardless of the other conditions.

I understand everyone has different priorities. For many a 5,500rmb salary is on par with beggar's pay, for others that tranquil, relaxed gig in scenic Yangshuo represents insanity inducing boredom in Bumpkinville. One man's split shift is another's much needed afternoon nap etc.

Just curious what are the keywords or crappy conditions that see job offers being deleted by you guys?



Personally I think anyone who works for anything less than 12 full monthly salaries is a chump. Your monthly salary should be at least 500 times your weekly hours - 20 Hrs? = 10,000. Free housing and utilities a must. And nothing in the contract restricting additional work - contrary to popular belief, it is perfectly legal to hold multiple jobs in China as a foreigner, as long as you have not signed a contract which expressly forbids it
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shroob



Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 1231

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What are your job condition non-starters? Reply with quote

buffalobill12323 wrote:
lemak wrote:
I'll likely stick around my current school for another semester/year, but every time I get near the end of my contract I always shoot out some resumes, respond to some ads to see what else is out there.

Inevitably I get hundreds of replies, most of which are shite, but it's annoying sifting through the thorns to get to that one rose, ya know?

So I end up looking for keywords that see the email get moved straight to the delete folder.

Personally any job that says "Kindergarten", "One day off a week", "+15 office hours", Less than 5,000rmb are all non-starters regardless of the other conditions.

I understand everyone has different priorities. For many a 5,500rmb salary is on par with beggar's pay, for others that tranquil, relaxed gig in scenic Yangshuo represents insanity inducing boredom in Bumpkinville. One man's split shift is another's much needed afternoon nap etc.

Just curious what are the keywords or crappy conditions that see job offers being deleted by you guys?



Personally I think anyone who works for anything less than 12 full monthly salaries is a chump. Your monthly salary should be at least 500 times your weekly hours - 20 Hrs? = 10,000. Free housing and utilities a must. And nothing in the contract restricting additional work - contrary to popular belief, it is perfectly legal to hold multiple jobs in China as a foreigner, as long as you have not signed a contract which expressly forbids it


What about in the contract which says 'party B must not work for other people unless given the permission of party A', or words to that effect? That's been on every contract I've seen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
buffalobill12323



Joined: 18 Sep 2013
Posts: 115
Location: China

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: What are your job condition non-starters? Reply with quote

Quote:
What about in the contract which says 'party B must not work for other people unless given the permission of party A', or words to that effect? That's been on every contract I've seen.


Most draft contracts have that - the choices are A) Accept it B) delete it C) amend it - if they want you they will play ball. Hell, our FAO SENDS us offers of outside work after companies approach her. Contracts can be altered, fear not asking
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
muffintop



Joined: 07 Jan 2013
Posts: 803

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: What are your job condition non-starters? Reply with quote

buffalobill12323 wrote:
Most draft contracts have that - the choices are A) Accept it B) delete it C) amend it - if they want you they will play ball. Hell, our FAO SENDS us offers of outside work after companies approach her. Contracts can be altered, fear not asking


I'll fix that sentence...
Quote:
Hell, our FAO SENDS us offers of outside work after companies approach her and pay him/her a cut.


Maybe that would not bother some folks but I'd rather find my own jobs if I can. Money fixes many things though. If the pay were right it likely wouldn't bother me. If it were some bog standard 150/hour gig....it would.

Yes, if folks want something changed in a contract they should ask for it. However, why bother asking for this? If they say no, you may lose a decent job. If say yes, you're not gaining anything you didn't really already have. I'd say the vast majority of folks doing side jobs do not have permission from their school to do so. Why bother putting them in a position to say no?

I worked for 3 years at a school where the owner swore up and down we'd be fired if we had side jobs. Every year we'd get a speech about it. While I worked there...he caught the DTA working side jobs....he was not fired. I flat out told him I was working side jobs...I was not fired. The woman who made the schedules would ask me when I was free before scheduling classes so not to interfere with side gigs. A CT got caught doing extra classes....she was fired instantly. Did not even wait for her contract to end.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
choudoufu



Joined: 25 May 2010
Posts: 3325
Location: Mao-berry, PRC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: What are your job condition non-starters? Reply with quote

buffalobill12323 wrote:
- contrary to popular belief, it is perfectly legal to hold multiple jobs in China as a foreigner, as long as you have not signed a contract which expressly forbids it


really? are you sure? despite the "outside work" clause in the standard
contract, i was under the impression that working for other than your
sponsoring employer is illegal. of course, on the another hand, the
law is only selectively enforced. in which case:

buffalobill12323 shoulda wrote:
- contrary to popular belief, it is expressly illegal to hold multiple jobs in China as a foreigner. you often can take side work, but only as long as you remain discreet and don't piss off the wrong peoples.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
buffalobill12323



Joined: 18 Sep 2013
Posts: 115
Location: China

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: What are your job condition non-starters? Reply with quote

muffintop wrote:
buffalobill12323 wrote:
Most draft contracts have that - the choices are A) Accept it B) delete it C) amend it - if they want you they will play ball. Hell, our FAO SENDS us offers of outside work after companies approach her. Contracts can be altered, fear not asking


I'll fix that sentence...
Quote:
Hell, our FAO SENDS us offers of outside work after companies approach her and pay him/her a cut.


Maybe that would not bother some folks but I'd rather find my own jobs if I can. Money fixes many things though. If the pay were right it likely wouldn't bother me. If it were some bog standard 150/hour gig....it would.

Yes, if folks want something changed in a contract they should ask for it. However, why bother asking for this? If they say no, you may lose a decent job. If say yes, you're not gaining anything you didn't really already have. I'd say the vast majority of folks doing side jobs do not have permission from their school to do so. Why bother putting them in a position to say no?

I worked for 3 years at a school where the owner swore up and down we'd be fired if we had side jobs. Every year we'd get a speech about it. While I worked there...he caught the DTA working side jobs....he was not fired. I flat out told him I was working side jobs...I was not fired. The woman who made the schedules would ask me when I was free before scheduling classes so not to interfere with side gigs. A CT got caught doing extra classes....she was fired instantly. Did not even wait for her contract to end.


There is prob a fee for her, but not a cut I guess. If she keeps supplying jobs at 300 per hour, as she has been doing, then she is worth her fee IMO
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
buffalobill12323



Joined: 18 Sep 2013
Posts: 115
Location: China

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: What are your job condition non-starters? Reply with quote

choudoufu wrote:
buffalobill12323 wrote:
- contrary to popular belief, it is perfectly legal to hold multiple jobs in China as a foreigner, as long as you have not signed a contract which expressly forbids it


really? are you sure? despite the "outside work" clause in the standard
contract, i was under the impression that working for other than your
sponsoring employer is illegal. of course, on the another hand, the
law is only selectively enforced. in which case:

buffalobill12323 shoulda wrote:
- contrary to popular belief, it is expressly illegal to hold multiple jobs in China as a foreigner. you often can take side work, but only as long as you remain discreet and don't piss off the wrong peoples.


It is a clause in most contracts. It is not not a law, therefore take it out of the contract. Yes, I am sure.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fat_chris



Joined: 10 Sep 2003
Posts: 3135

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it'snotmyfault wrote:
Adverts that try to sell you on details such as "free lunch" that equates to about 4~5 rmb


Oh!

When I saw this, I immediately thought, there's no such thing as a free lunch.

There it is.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fat_chris



Joined: 10 Sep 2003
Posts: 3135

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davelister wrote:
Schools with really cheesy names are a non-starter


Click China?

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC