Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013 Italy hiring regulations allow US citizens now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Via Lingua are primarily a teacher training centre.
They're not likely to be much use to you as you've already got quals - and they can't get you a legal work permit for Italy, either.
PeiPei0708

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I paid all that money for nothing after they told me they could find me a job in Italy??

They had all these testimonies of ppl that said they found work after completing their program...is it a total scam???

Do I have to contact BBB or something on them????
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What'd you send them money for?
I thought you had a CELTA and related MA already?

BBB does not cover a company operating legally in Italy.

No, Via Lingua can't get you a work permit for Italy.
"We can find you a job' does not equate to 'it will be a legal job' unless they are going to hook you up with a contract that is for less than 90 days (how long you can be in the Schengen zone as a US citizen - google it if you are not familiar).
They just want to sell you a certificate. You don't need it if you've already got the CELTA. And it won't get you legally into Italy.
PeiPei0708

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to contact somebody. They told me I would legally work in Italy if I did their program. You nor this website wasn't the only place I inquired about Italy. To best get an idea of a situation, it's wise to consider and look into for info from more than one person and place, right?

In any case, thanks for the info, I'm going to report that place, immediately!
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeiPei0708 wrote:
To best get an idea of a situation, it's wise to consider and look into for info from more than one person and place, right?

This is very true, indeed. But it is even truer to do so before you part with your hard-earned cash, unfortunately. Sorry.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So I paid all that money for nothing after they told me they could find me a job in Italy??

They had all these testimonies of ppl that said they found work after completing their program...is it a total scam???

Really? I didn't find any of those. I found this:

"In some locations, we are able to guarantee employment locally after completing the course. In all of our course locations, we can and do provide you with professional and ongoing assistance in finding that crucial first TEFL teaching job. We have schools and offices all around the world, all of which you'll be welcome to visit or to contact for help, irrespective of where you originally took your TEFL course."

Where are the testimonials of people who said they'd found work in Italy? (And were they US citizens??)
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although they seem careful not to make any overtly false claims, Via Lingua is nonetheless misleading non-EU hopefuls about working in Italy. From their website:

Quote:

The great majority of our trainees are from the USA, the UK, Ireland, Canada or Australia, but people whose first language is not English have succeeded in the course, including people from Italy, the Netherlands and Peru.

Quote:

There are teacher jobs for English-speaking teachers in every subject, especially English as a second language (ESL). Americans, Canadians and Australians are working in Italy even though they aren't citizens of the European Union.

Quote:

When you find a school that wants to hire you, you are still just halfway there. If a school seems interested but the work permit is unlikely, ask them if they are willing to set you up for one year in a sort of student capacity. You are going there to study methodology of teaching English to Italians (and get paid anyway). Italians have a billion rules and regulations but have learned to dance about them with the grace of Fred Astaire.

ETA: I notice that they fail to point out that even if you find a school "willing to set you up for one year in a sort of student capacity," you still have to apply for a student visa--a process which requires a return to the US (or other non-EU country of residence,) and can take months.

Last edited by Xie Lin on Thu May 23, 2013 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
PeiPei0708

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/groups/511383395553930/?fref=ts

looks like ppl are finding work in Italy..??
PeiPei0708

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teacher in Rome wrote:
Quote:

Really? I didn't find any of those. I found this:

"In some locations, we are able to guarantee employment locally after completing the course. In all of our course locations, we can and do provide you with professional and ongoing assistance in finding that crucial first TEFL teaching job. We have schools and offices all around the world, all of which you'll be welcome to visit or to contact for help, irrespective of where you originally took your TEFL course."

Where are the testimonials of people who said they'd found work in Italy? (And were they US citizens??)

Okay here is their website
http://www.internationalteflacademy.com/alumni-country-questions-and-answers/bid/114610/Florence-Italy-English-Teaching-Q-and-A-with-Sarah-Graubard

http://www.internationalteflacademy.com/alumni-stories/bid/114860/Welcome-Home-Teaching-English-in-Italy
Gregorio

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello PeiPei,

In 2004, I did a TEFL cert. through Via Lingua Rome and it was an excellent program. I have nothing bad to say about it, but they never promised a legal job for non-EU citizens, just connections for possible under-the-table work. Most of the EU citizens in my course all found jobs with the help of ViaLingua, though.

What happened to all the advice people were giving you on this site?

I hope you can somehow get your money back, or you could just enjoy the course and the 5 weeks in Florence.

Gregorio
PeiPei0708

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregorio wrote:
Hello PeiPei,

In 2004, I did a TEFL cert. through Via Lingua Rome and it was an excellent program. I have nothing bad to say about it, but they never promised a legal job for non-EU citizens, just connections for possible under-the-table work. Most of the EU citizens in my course all found jobs with the help of ViaLingua, though.

What happened to all the advice people were giving you on this site?

I hope you can somehow get your money back, or you could just enjoy the course and the 5 weeks in Florence.

Gregorio

Hey Gregorio, thanks so much for this info!! That's sad to hear that they can't promise a legal job for non-EU citizens, but I hope to find some way to at least see Italy, legally though ^^ That's true! I could just enjoy 5 weeks in Florence nonetheless while taking that course, aye? ^^ I do really, really want to see Italy T T

You're very kind and thank you very much Gregorio for your advice and great info!!

Sincerely
Angelina

P.S. Gregorio, so where did you go after you took that course? Did you stay in Italy and trekked around for a while? I'd love to hear! ^^
Gregorio

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Turkey for a week and then went home to the U.S. Found out that I qualified for Italian Citizenship, jus sanguinis, waited 5 years for all that to go through, got my Masters, taught for 3 years, moved to Colombia, taught for two more years and I am finally moving to Italy in July. I landed a position in northern Italy and signed a two year contract!!!

It was a long road, but things finally came full circle. However, it would not be possible without my Italian passport, gained through lineage. You never know, you could go the marriage route. Italians like aged cheese Wink
PeiPei0708

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregorio wrote:
I went to Turkey for a week and then went home to the U.S. Found out that I qualified for Italian Citizenship, jus sanguinis, waited 5 years for all that to go through, got my Masters, taught for 3 years, moved to Colombia, taught for two more years and I am finally moving to Italy in July. I landed a position in northern Italy and signed a two year contract!!!

It was a long road, but things finally came full circle. However, it would not be possible without my Italian passport, gained through lineage. You never know, you could go the marriage route. Italians like aged cheese Wink

....I envy you, Gregorio! ToT But then, I don't REALLY know if I would have wanted to live in Italy, or France or Japan. I just...reeeally wanted to be able to spend a few years at least in these countries...That...REALLY is my dream....I think that is the BEST way in getting into the culture, the country and the people! (cry) T T
Caporetto

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting and hopefully useful thread.

I often wonder how people regard the issue of illegal, uninsured, black market working in their home countries, for example the US, when they take such a light view of it in the EU. Presumably they are the silent minority in favour of open US borders.

Just one observation:

A little under seven hours passed between that poster planning to 'contact Via Lingua and see what they say' and apparently having paid up in full for the course.

Is that what's called trolling?
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I often wonder how people regard the issue of illegal, uninsured, black market working in their home countries, for example the US, when they take such a light view of it in the EU. Presumably they are the silent minority in favour of open US borders.

Yes, quite. Good point, Caporetto.

Quote:
A little under seven hours passed between that poster planning to 'contact Via Lingua and see what they say' and apparently having paid up in full for the course.

Is that what's called trolling?

Well it's definitely time-wasting. Maybe that's the same thing...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: